Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Adams SE chutes?????
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:33 pm 

Mt Adams is the second largest Volcano in Washington State summiting at 12,276 feet.
The standard route is up the non glaciated/technical south ridge which is always lively with activity on the weekends. Our crew consisted of five people Christy, Dustin, Jason and Josh Hummel and I. While normally it would make since to head up Adams in a one day push we decided to tackle it at a relaxed pace. Skinning in was uneventful other then the heat radiating from the sun and lack of wind draining our energy as we skinned around the lower flanks of Adams. We chose to have a base camp somewhat in between the Mazama Glacier and the south ridge (standard climbing ridge) to reduce weight on the climb and take advantage of a snowless ridge.

Skinning up the next morning was easy with only a few spots were we had to transfer our skis over the nasty sharp volcanic rocks. By the time we made it up to the lunch counter we were back on the standard route and we could see people snowshoeing, bootpacking and skinning towards the false summit. After some discussion we decided we would bootpack once the slope became too steep but that never happened. The weather was nasty past the false summit for the last 700 feet with overcast skies and wind gusts over 30 mph. and skinning would be difficult on the nasty rime Ice so I switched over to crampons for the final ascent.

Looking up at the false summit from near the lunch counter
The true summit from Pikers peak
The final bit of climbing to the summit proper

Once arriving on the summit we switched our gear over in a hurry and celebrated Destin’s first volcano ascent and gave some others beta on dropping the now famous SW chutes then started making our way down. The first 700 feet was brutal inconsistent corn/rime Ice down to the false summit. After a quick traverse we were on top of a 3000 foot fall line of perfect wide open corn down the Mazama Glacier. After a few crevasses crossing here and there and another quick traverse we were back at camp packing our gear up for the final run back to the car. The run down the road was uneventful and flat with more then a few dirt spots exposed causing us to carry our skis occasionally but soon enough we were back in the car on our way home.

The Mazama Glacier headwall
Ripping down the Mazama Glacier

Jason has some amazing photos and a TR in the works
If you want any beta feel free to p.m. me

Post subject: Re: Mt Adams SE chutes?????
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 pm 

Damn! Looks nice.

How's the approach and the road?

Maybe, if I have the balls, I am gonna hit this in a few weeks. Looks like there are no sun cups out yet!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:21 am 

Nice work on not riding the same lines as last year!

That makes 3 times in the last two years we have been on the same peak on the same day. Hood last year, Shasta and Adams so far this year. I rode the SW chutes that day, riding down about 12:30. Great day! I saw the cloud form on the summit and then dissipate after I was down. Sounds like that was when your crew was on top.

Buell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:22 am 

Otto wrote:
Damn! Looks nice.
How's the approach and the road?
Maybe, if I have the balls, I am gonna hit this in a few weeks. Looks like there are no sun cups out yet!

At this moment its about a 3.5 mile walk to the trailhead and the snow is smooth.
We ran into some dirty snow but that was just because it was downwind for a moraine

buell wrote:
Nice work on not riding the same lines as last year!
That makes 3 times in the last two years we have been on the same peak on the same day. Hood last year, Shasta and Adams so far this year. I rode the SW chutes that day, riding down about 12:30. Great day! I saw the cloud form on the summit and then dissipate after I was down. Sounds like that was when your crew was on top.

Buell

That is just awesome. Im going to try and get some funding together (unemplotment denied) for one last raid of the southern Oregeon Volcanos I will let you know when Im on my way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 am 

Wow, this is a timely report and an awesome one at that.

Where is the nearest camp grounds?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:01 pm 

I may be wrong but if Im correct there are campgounds at troutlake which is within 30 minutes of everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:12 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
That is just awesome. Im going to try and get some funding together (unemplotment denied) for one last raid of the southern Oregeon Volcanos I will let you know when Im on my way.

Definitely do that. I have a Shasta east side trip planned on June 12th or 13th. I am sure you are welcome on that trip if you want. Other than that I am free except for work, but I have some ability to move that around. Lots of storms around right now.

sketchyT wrote:

Where is the nearest camp grounds?

I have just slept in my truck where the road is covered by snow the last two years. If you need more space, there are great spots within a couple of miles of the end of the road where you can pitch a tent. Otherwise, as Kyle mentioned, I saw an official campground sign in Trout Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:44 am 

hey Kyle
nice ta see how yer keepin busy this season!! way ta git after it.
peas -m