Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free National Park Weekends this Summer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 am 

Pretty nice to get some freebies

All 147 National Park entry fees waived on the weekends of June 20-21, July 18-19 and August 15-16. Mark those calendars!

Too bad I've got a Surfrider event the June weekend...otherwise, Tioga Pass would be so on (not having to pay $20 to drive through Yosemite would be awesome!)

Post subject: Re: Free National Park Weekends this Summer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:54 pm 

I'm guessing it will cost nothing to spend a day in bumper-to-bumper traffic with outstanding views.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:36 pm 

thanks for the info. will be sure to take advantage of it! sorry to hijack but in a related news story has anyone heard about the govenator's plans to shut down most of CA's state parks? i really hope it doesnt come to that. that would kinda suck! i guess its better than closing schools...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12481195? ... ost_viewed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:58 pm 

yes i have! From Surfrider Foundation....

"Governor announced a new proposal to eliminate state funding for our state park system - which will close more than 80% of the 279-unit state park system. Slated for Closure are many of our Favorite Beaches and Surf Spots, including:

Silver Strand, Torrey Pines, Carlsbad, Topanga, Leo Carillo, Emma Wood, Pt. Mugu, Carpinteria, Refugio, El Capitan, Montaña De Oro, Morro Strand, Pismo, Moss Landing, Manresa, Seacliff, Half Moon Bay, Ano Nuevo, Tomales Bay, Trinidad, Sonoma Coast...and many others!! View a full list here.

Sign the petition:
http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/capar ... erajntbxb3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 pm 

Thanks for the info on both counts. The state parks thing is just crazy! But I guess it does highlight the extent of the budget crisis. In Santa Cruz, pretty much every state park in the area is on that list. It would Really Suck if they go through with this!

Here's a link to the petition above that doesn't have the cookie (if you use the link above it thinks you already signed it as someone else):
http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/caparks05_09/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:06 pm 

The state parks deal could be it's own thread. Every park in Tahoe, including the campgrounds within them, will be shut down, and our economy can't handle it. It would be one thing if it was just turned into a wilderness state, allowing access with no services, but the plan is to shut everyone out. Sign the petitions, get Arnold and all the worthless government officials with their $300 staplers the fuck out of power, let the people rise up!

End rant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:38 pm 

So I actually got an email from the governor's office in response to my submission about saving our state parks from closure. Doesn't say much other than that they'll jack up state entry and camping fees in order to help keep some parks open.

here's the full text below:

Thank you for writing to me about funding for our state parks system. Your input is important to me during these challenging times.

California's natural beauty is renowned throughout the world, and I have made it my priority to protect our environment so future generations of Californians can continue to experience and enjoy what we have all come to love. Our state parks provide a fantastic introduction to the California experience and help bring our residents and visitors closer to our landscapes.

Unfortunately, the state cannot continue to bear the costs of supporting every program. Believe me when I say that these cuts have been the hardest decisions of my career as Governor, but we are in the midst of the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Our revenues for the coming year are at least 27 percent below where they were projected to be just two short years ago. We now face a shortfall that has grown to $24.3 billion, and the people of California have made their voice clear: they want the state to live within its means and solve its problems through spending cuts and not tax increases.

To help manage our budget shortfall, I have proposed eliminating General Fund support for the Department of Parks and Recreation. I understand that these cuts will impact not only the lives of our park employees but the millions of park visitors who visit these national treasurers every year. In spite of these General Fund cuts, though, I will work to keep as many parks open as possible with funding from user fees. It may require raising entry and camping fees, expanding partnerships with local government and non-profit groups, and seeking additional creative ways to support our system in the future.

As I work with my partners in the Legislature to find solutions to these problems, know I will keep your thoughts in mind. Working together, I believe we can weather this storm and start the slow but steady march back toward prosperity.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:41 pm 

I still don't understand the motive behind this. State parks are essentially protected open space, forests, and other natural areas. What services requiring money really need to be provided? Charge a few bucks by using pay envelopes, have trash pickup, and drain the septic system at the end of the summer. How much can letting people enjoy nature really cost? Maybe just turn the parks into temporary wilderness status where we can enjoy the areas with no services at no charge? I still think we can save quite a bit of money by thinning out the government, but for some reason government officials never mention this idea. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 am 

I sure hope you CA cats don't get locked out of your parks. Here's some non-splitboard National Park fisheye stoke for you from this past weekend: