Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 171 Mojo vs Tom Burt split
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:07 am 

I'm thinking of what splitboard model to get for next year, and it's a toss up between the Winterstick Tom Burt and Voile 171 Mojo . Both have pretty similar specs:

Winterstick Tom Burt 172cm
Radius:11.0
Taper 4mm
Setback: 3.0
Effective Edge: 135.2 cm

Voile Mojo 171cm
Radius 10.3
Taper 8mm
Setback: 3cm
Effective Edge: 131.1 cm

Does anyone have first-hand feedback on the actual handling and overall construction? Is one more damp, the other more lively? Would you use both boards in similar conditions, or is one more suited for icy steeps, the other for deep powder? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 171 Mojo vs Tom Burt split
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:21 pm 

I cannot comment on the Voile, but I do own a solid TB board, and am planning to order the split version asap. I am about 170 lbs and 6'1". The TB board is the best all around backcountry board I have ridden. It handles all conditions very well, and excels at staying composed in difficult (steeps, challenging snow, high speed) situations. The long sidecut radius allows it to be easily released from a carve and skidded mid turn when necessary, and keeps it very predictable and stable in steep and desperate situations.
I would say that the TB excels at being versatile for the aggressive rider riding all snow conditions, and it will keep one out of trouble if one happens to get in a little over their head. I would call it damp and stable, as it allows easy turn initiation, and very easy turn exits, it loves speed, but can be made to turn quickly when necessary. The TB, while certainly not a pow specific board, absolutely rips powder, especially when ridden fast.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:23 am 

i tink - dont check appels and potattos .
the board s on the first look the same ..... bc SP boards- because the concepts a difrent .... every body say - dont bay a cup board - only sandwitch .... it is wrong .

more intresting is the camber , nose high and wight .....
and the concept of the core how long it stay in good condition - this are the importand things for a bc board ..... the riding is difrent this is clear...
every rider had his faforit to ride .

for a objetkiv test, to build a mine are more ditales importand .

me checklist :

1 a brand how has no problems with breake the core - boards must work, no jokes in the bc - longer than 50 hard trips .... ( no kamikaze rider )

2 the wight - and the shape ( waist not bigger than i need )

3 steel edges big block- not small .... runningbase 1,4-,1 ,2 good quality .

4 voile interface is a must have ...... no experiments with atomic this lesson was to much pain.

5 the price -and comany sevice ....

no importand things are : coulerd , and in style of the brand ...

the first season of a new commer in the splitboard market is a year to lorning prozess for the company .....

ride things you can trust .

Burton

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:28 am 

Thanks barrows and burton. Any ideas on which board will be stiffer? Also, do you know if the TB split comes with skins?

I'm leaning to the TB, but the price is a unknown at this point.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 am 

Winterstick boards are built to order by Wagner Custom near Telluride, Colorado. This company has an excellent reputation for building a very high quality product, but building this way is not cheap. The TB is going to end up costing quite a bit more than the Voile. The Voile is a cap board, personally, I do not like cap boards; they tend to fail more easily than sidewall boards, and they are hard to repair when they do delam. I also feel that well made sidewall boards ride better than cap boards, the edge is damper and will smooth out bad snow more easily.
I suspect that Winterstick will be selling split boards without skins, but until they release the details of their split program we will not know for sure.
Hopefully someone here will respond with true riding impressions of the 171 Mojo for comparison.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/