Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5/16/09 - Hood Southside
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 pm 

Got a late start at about 7:30 and skinned up below Crater Rock. The snowpack right now is really good, and should remain well into Summer. No excuses for easy August turns! The third member of our party (who hadn't been out this year) was seriously dragging behind, so we ltalked it over and he stayed at top of the Palmer while Todd and I continued up. Not too far below Crater Rock, we decided to head down as the snow was corning, and icefall up higher picked up. We decended the White River snowfield since conditions were softer on the eastern side of the mountain.

Origninally, we had thought about summiting, but gave that hope up with the weather forecast the night before. We likely could have summited, but probably couldn't have ridden down given the conditions and the number of people. There must have been over 100 people heading for the summit yesterday. We ran into one party on the way down that had lost one member to icefall (apparently she needed to be evacuated and taken to the hospital). Another member had a broken finger due to icefall. Indeed, every party we talked to said it was a shooting gallery above the Hogsback. With the change in how the Pearly Gates have formed, I'm beginning to think the southside summit isn't a great ski descent.

After the nice corn up higher, Todd and I rode down through the ski area and then to Govy via the Alpine trail. Neither of us had ever been through before, but had parked the rig at Govy earlier in the morning. Hard to believe there was enough snow to make it through, but there was plenty. Nothing like riding completely off the mountain and right to the bar :guinness: Total vertical about 5500 feet - not bad for one run. Green Lakes brews from Deschutes Brewery followed at the Ratskellar, then dinner with the family later. Overall, a really good day.

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: 5/16/09 - Hood Southside
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:31 pm 

Glad to hear you guys played it safe up there. I had read about a couple of rescues and all the ice fall this weekend.

Nice play riding down to Government Camp.

Sent you an email about next weekend. We are over at Bachelor today and skinning up tomorrow (it closed today). The snow looks really nice at Broken Top and S Sister if they get the road open an camping trip could be great.

Buell

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:28 am 

I was up there too on Saturday. Made it up to Hogsback but had to turn around early, which made for good self-arrest practice. Heard some guy was gonna summit and ride off the north side somehow. Is that any good?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 pm 

Quote:
Heard some guy was gonna summit and ride off the north side somehow. Is that any good?

It depends. If you traverse west then north and hit the Sunshine Route (down between the Coe and Elliot glaciers), that can be pretty good. Straight off the northside is a death route, and the Cooper spur to the east is pretty gnarly. Some dude died trying to ride it a few years back as well.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:43 pm 

That was cool. The end shot looks like some alley in suburbia. Hard to imagine just coming off a big climb and riding down to that. How long does the lift continue to run in summer? We were thinking about coming up in June

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:52 pm 

Quote:
How long does the lift continue to run in summer?

The lifts usually run through Labor Day. There will be tons of snow still in June - plenty for lift riding and plenty above the lifts for splitting if you wanted to bring your split or hike. You can still get 4,500 vertical from the Hogsback to the lodge in June.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 pm 

Right on stoudema! Someday I'll be up to join you on hood!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Right on stoudema! Someday I'll be up to join you on hood!

That'd be sweet :thatrocks:

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:11 pm 

Image[/quote]

seems like quite a few folks are sporting the mr hankey edition mojo - looks like a great day on hood

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:17 pm 

Awesome report.... I lived in Govy year round back in 92,93,94.... In the now gone Elevator Shack.... A three story house with no stairs and a wooden freight elevator in the middle of the house! I rode from the summit all the way down to Govy, VIA Alpine trail twice! Obviously back in those days it was all boot packing... Makes me shiver to think that i did it with no climbing equipment at all, and no real avalanche training/awareness... Ah the stupidity of youth! This TR took me back! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:48 pm 

Sweet. I must have just missed you guys. I summited the same day around 9, and was riding back down from hogsback around 1030-1100 ish. And yes, the icefall was feirce, and had to bunker some bigger baseball/softball/dinner plate size ice falling off the rime ice towers as the temps rise. My helmet and tools suffered the brunt .
If you saw some dork riding down on a older green burton s series, with a red pack with ice tools, and an orange helmet, red AT boots/mtn plates, that was me!

Climbed it again today, and the snow was not as sweet as last week. The snow is all really tracked up by skiers/snowboarders and climber foot traffic. Plus the freeze thaw and the wind has whipped up some rime ice formations in the upper triangle moraine. Not to mention the cat track that goes all the way to devils kitchen (PMR rescue last sunday) makes it a little less fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:59 am 

Quote:
The snow is all really tracked up by skiers/snowboarders and climber foot traffic. Plus the freeze thaw and the wind has whipped up some rime ice formations in the upper triangle moraine. Not to mention the cat track that goes all the way to devils kitchen (PMR rescue last sunday) makes it a little less fun.

Dang.

Really short notice, but a few of us are heading into Green Lake today to ride South Sister on Monday and hopefully Broken Top on Tuesday. You're welcome to meet up with us if you don't have plans.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 pm 

stoudema wrote:

Really short notice, but a few of us are heading into Green Lake today to ride South Sister on Monday and hopefully Broken Top on Tuesday. You're welcome to meet up with us if you don't have plans.

Dang X2!!

I have to carry the on call pager for work, so I cannot go meet up with you guys. Trust me, I would really like to hit up some South Sister action this year before it all turns in to sun cup city, and right now is probably the best time. It's gonna be a road march, I think because the road is still snow covered to the TH.

Next time you are heading up to hoodland, shoot me a PM or email (in profile) and we can hook up. I am also looking to do some Mt. Adams SW chutes, and Hood Sunshine/Snowdome action coming up soon.