Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton interface hardware still worth buying?
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:50 pm 

I'm looking around for an affordable second split for my wife. I ride a Prior split and have had no personal experience or even seen the Burton interface. Is it worthwhile buying a board with this interface if the price is right? Can parts still be sourced from Burton? Is this interface really that problematic or just not as bomber as Voile? Appreciate any opinions.

Post subject: Re: Burton interface hardware still worth buying?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:34 am 

Hmm, no opinions? I'm not looking for any guarantees, just the thoughts of guys who have used or are still using this interface.Anyways, would really appreciate anything at all. As I said I have no first or even second hand experience with this hardware.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm 

For a good price, sure it's worth it. The board itself is nice, and you can always convert it to use the Voile system after the Burton interface breaks (there are several threads on this forum about exactly that).

I used the Burton interface for a few years. When it works, it's pretty decent. It does have some strong points, like providing a clamping action on the board halves for a more solid feel, and a lower profile than the Voile slider track system. The problem is, there are so many things that can go wrong with it, or ice up and stop working, or break. If you check every bolt before every tour and are very meticulous about maintaining it, it should work for a decent amount of time. But eventually something WILL break, and you better hope you're not 20 miles from the car in a snowstorm when it does. And it's getting harder to find spare parts for it now.

Again, the board itself is great. One thing I love about it is that there are NO holes in the base, unlike every Voile system board which has at least 4 holes for the split hooks.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 pm 

Thanks for the input Jim. I'd rather not have to mess around with converting later on, sounds like that's ineviteable if the board gets enough use. I guess the key question would be if the issues with this hardware are only related to wear or if it breaks randomly at any time because of flaws in the design.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:01 am 

It won't break randomly if you're very careful with it. Check every bolt before every tour. For example the tip hooks and heel lift screws are notorious for working themselves loose in the middle of a tour. You can't just slam the interface on there and yank on the tightening arm, little plastic pieces will break off. The Voile interface is a lot more bomber. Eventually, the interface will develop play and get loose; you can adjust this with the horizontal screw under the heel lift, but eventually you will run out of adjustment and that's it, you just have to deal with a bit of play.

How often do you think your wife is going to use this board? What kind of tours?

If it's not going to get used much, and the tours aren't where it's going to be catastrophic if something breaks, then go for it. It might last for a good long time.

Otherwise, get something with the Voile system, or plan on converting it eventually.

Converting it is not the end of the world. Also, as I mentioned the board itself is good quality.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:59 am 

Thanks again for the excellent input Jim. The board likely won't get used for too much more than a half dozen day trips per season and maybe one or two overnighters. Possibly on the overnight trips in & out distances could be an issue with less than reliable gear, but honestly , not too many of the trips this board would go on would be super isolated. The downside is that it sucks when you have to hesitate on a trip because you're second guessing your equipment.
Is it simple enough to carry spares for critical bits that are known to be an issue, such as carrying a spare pin for the voile hardware? I would hope a little forethought and euipment inspection could mitigate most of the chances of being completely stranded by this hardware. Also, I'm assuming most issues happen with going into board mode and you could still skin out, providing of course you're not standing at the entrance to a 50deg ice chute when it lets you down, which I highly doubt my wife will ever ask it to do.
As long as I can reasonably expect this hardware to not fail catastrophically out of the blue and I can be reasonably prepared with some minor spare parts to at least allow it to work in tour mode then I think it's worth a try. Thanks again for your reply, always good to get an opinion from someone with firsthand knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:36 pm 

I rocked the burton interface for a couple of seasons and like Jim said its not if it will fail but when. I had a set of the interface crack and when the second set failed the same way I got rid of it (after replacing the system again). 3 years with the voile and now the spark binders and there is no way I could recomend the burton system. Just not reliable for backcountry travel if are worried about your gear failing.

Especially for overnight trips carrying heavier packs, the burton system is sketchy. Cracking occurred both times during longer overnight huts trips with the stuff I had.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:02 pm 

The other problem is that every bit of that interface is custom hardware, and it's getting harder and harder to find spare parts. Pretty much the only way to find it now is through people like on this forum who used to use it and have switched to Voile! There was a recent post in the Swap section with some Burton interface plates for sale. I have a few spare parts stashed away somewhere too...

If your wife is careful with her equipment and relatively lightweight, you may not have any issues. I think I used it for about 4 seasons, and I never had an interface plate crack, and I did go on several overnighters. YMMV. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 pm 

Thanks for all the information. I've decided to wait and keep looking for a kit with the voile interface. The deal I was looking at was a great price with skins and crampons included but if I'm going to be hunting for and buying spare Burton parts or converting to the voile hardware I may as well put that money towards a board that already has what I want and a system I already have experience with. The deal was sweet, so tempting, but at least I now know that's not really where I want to go. Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:10 pm 

Another tidbit I forgot to mention (which should make you feel better about your decision :)) is that the Burton skins suck. I went through 3 pairs in short order. The glue was not very good, and failed completely on one trip.

I think you'll be happy with a Voile setup. You should be able to find some good end of season deals now too.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:54 pm 

I think the setup I was looking at will be a good buy for someone just trying out touring to see if they want to invest more money. I already like my voile/Prior setup so there's no question there. That's good info on the skins though, a big part of the draw to the Burton board was the fact that it came with everything(even spare/new skins). Most used boards aren't sold with the skins and sometimes I see people selling them even without the sliders. Hopefully something affordable and the right length for my wife will pop up in the next 5 months.