Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Over 30 Crowd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:57 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
We had to snowboard in Sorrell boots, rain gear and ride on crappy boards.

We also had to get "certified" to be able to ride the lifts, at least in NEw England, although that process didn't last very long.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:46 am 

Yeah, Boreal in CA had a certification program.

fairy Brad, fairy - but you know that already.

Isn't a vernal pool just a mud puddle anyway. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:32 pm 

Quote:
Boreal in CA had a certification program.

I'm sad to say I lost my card that said I was certified to ride the Intermediate lifts at Boreal. I remember being stressed about getting evaluated to move on to the Intermediate lifts and when a buddy didn't pass (it was his first day) it was fairly traumatic for the dude.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:53 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
Yeah, Boreal in CA had a certification program.

fairy Brad, fairy - but you know that already.

Isn't a vernal pool just a mud puddle anyway. :wink:

Yep, I did knew that but am kind of dingy sometimes and totally suck at spelling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 pm 

LOL ecobrad "We were stoked when he'd stop and let us piss on the side of the rode"

you dudes got to stop?! man, and you say kids these days have it easy...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 pm 

jcocci wrote:
We also had to get "certified" to be able to ride the lifts, at least in NEw England, although that process didn't last very long.

I got my first certification in '88 at Jay Peak. I was riding the "blue ones" because we knew all the lifties... in '89 the certification was gone. I still have that pass... I was only 9 years old then.

Aaahhh memories!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:34 am 

BigJay wrote:
jcocci wrote:

I got my first certification in '88 at Jay Peak. I was riding the "blue ones" because we knew all the lifties... in '89 the certification was gone. I still have that pass... I was only 9 years old then.

Aaahhh memories!

I wish I still had my certification card, that thing was gone a long time ago.

Speaking of Jay Peak, I still wish I had got to that place when I lived in NH, well I should say got there again. My first and only time there was when I was a tech rep for Sims. I was there for a demo and it was blistering cold and most of the mountain wasn't even open from what I remember. I drove there in a full on blizzard in my tiny little VW with all the demo boards strapped to my roof. Decided to pack it up early because it was too damn cold and nobody was demoing boards and of the few that did go out I had one that was stolen from me. I was so pissed. I did however get a call a couple weeks later that they had found the board in a snowbank near the Canadian boarder, but I never did get it back. Ah yes, memories.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:41 am 

I started snowboarding in 1989 when I was thirteen years old and living in Minnesota. Back then it was all about pointing it straight down a hill on the golf course to a three or four foot booter to flat landing. Man, what were we thinking! I remember to this day the first time a couple years later when our little group of friends were at a youth winter retreat and the nice hill they had there had a couple feet of fresh on it and rather than just building a jump we decided to learn how to turn instead. It was a glorious, glorious day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:02 pm 

I was riding a wood Burton Performer back in 1985 when I was 10, I remember getting a Burton Elite 150 when I was 13. I remember riding it up and down the hills of the beckcountry in the Adirondack Mountains during my youth.

This thread took me back and I'm still smiling thinking about the kids today with their cell phones. myspace, navigation and video games, which in some ways make them lazy and funny to us over 30 crowd.

I just turned 33 and have been through about 10 mountain bikes, 2 pairs of tele skis, the evolution of snowboarding and heli riding, my neighbor's kid is 20 and a complete lazy ass who says I'm crazy and too extreme lol....it's sad and funny at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:40 pm 

Fuck ya Sorels... With a ton of duct tape wrapped around them to make them stiff.... First time at Timberline winter of 85'-86' - I was 12 and though that this is the greatest thing ever... No certification program there or at Ski Bowl... we just went..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 am 

SLC!! I spent a week at POW MOW and the Basin last month....Can't say enough abouth the Wasatch!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 am 

That is funny. I find myself making comments all the time about the youth of today and get pissy when I think "that's the future of America". Can you imagine the 18/19yos of today fighting in WW2? We'd get slaughtered.
CO - "get to the front line"
Kid - "I'm gonna text my mommy and tell her you're yelling at me"

actually it would read more like: "Is g0nn4 txt mi momy + t311 h3r ur y311ing @ me"...

Maybe I'm just old and bitter at 28.....

You have to admit though - DVR is the shit.....I couldn't live without it with my schedule..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm 

What's DVR? :scratch:

I've faith in the youth of today...no other choice.

I believe my parents generation said the same negative things about us, and look how the world has turned out....................uuuhhhhh :(