Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: VT NY NH ME PQ 08/09
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:10 am 

Nikon wrote:
I'm thinking I'll be faster on the skins than I would be hiking.

i agree. just expect your skins to get wet and stay wet. as long as you're not transitioning from wet to dry snow, you should be set. gotta love not carrying your board...
just boot the headwall when you get to it. then skin up across the east snowfields to the summit & observatory.
w/ strong & experienced group in future, the N ridge off summit slowly drops you into the great gulf and down to the lake via airplane gulch, if interested (full day+ deal, if not 2). boot back up to get out. watch for big high pressure for this assault.

enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:45 pm 

vtbackcountry wrote:
Nikon wrote:
I'm thinking I'll be faster on the skins than I would be hiking.

i agree. just expect your skins to get wet and stay wet. as long as you're not transitioning from wet to dry snow, you should be set. gotta love not carrying your board...
just boot the headwall when you get to it. then skin up across the east snowfields to the summit & observatory.
w/ strong & experienced group in future, the N ridge off summit slowly drops you into the great gulf and down to the lake via airplane gulch, if interested (full day+ deal, if not 2). boot back up to get out. watch for big high pressure for this assault.

enjoy.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to exploring. I've been a number of times but have always stuck to the main bowl and Hillman's. I'm plannin on heading up on 4/8 and it looks like I'll be going at it alone for this trip. Will prolly do another one on a weekend at some point this year. My dad is interested but is thinking that he'd rather wait til a little later in month or even going at it in May. Good enough - two trips is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 am 

So hummm... yeah... snow updates.... hmmm....

Last Sunday Jay got 5-7 in of snow... Mad river got about 12in according to some reports...

Snow on and off this week produced a couple of inches...

This weekend should be great... but not much warmth for great corn...

Might head out to washington...Big Jay is pretty much finished because of the logging... or still rideable if you want to walk in mud for a mile or two... Other areas are too low... so the last parts are sketchy or else all melted...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:52 pm 

We got a sick amount of precip so the riding is awes.......oh yeah, we got a shitload of rain for 5 days straight. Make it worse? Sure why not, it poured on the days that I was gonna hit Tucks.

Gonna try another go this coming week, Wed or Fri. I'd prefer to go Thurs but I'm due in court so that'll have to come first. I hope the weather holds.

I changed my mind too - I'm goin for Gulf of Slides, not Tuck's itself. I'll be going alone too so I'll have plenty of time for my own pace and plenty of pics. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:22 pm 

Will be in in MT washington area 19th-21st :thatrocks:

pm if wanting to meet up..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

willyo617 wrote:
Will be in in MT washington area 19th-21st :thatrocks:

pm if wanting to meet up..

you hafta pick days I'm workin don't ya. What route you taking to get over there? Depending on time of day and route you may pass through where I'm working.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 am 

Hit Mt Marcy on weds. Lovely day in the adirondacks. Snowline was probably about halfway up (mileage wise)-got to split starting at a bridge just before it starts getting steeper. Corny on the east hiking ridge. Winter like on the north aspect, even a little recycled pow at treeline. Looks like it will have snow for a while. Trail down low was pretty muddy in areas. It was nice getting out on the split after not really riding this winter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:50 am 

where's that last big dump we've all been waiting for since about march 2nd?? march and april have been a complete bust!
i know it's out there, but MAN, it's really feeling like spring here lately... maybe winter will slide away quietly this year.

still looks like plenty of coverage in whites and on adk slides, otherwise only snow left here is at the resort (bolton was nice the past month or so for laps at timberline). the hump is bare.

guess i'll bust out my fishing gear and check my favorite hole.

til next year - peace out all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am 

now now, it'll be ok. and actually, if you look at the snow stake, it's still reading a whopping 83 inches!!!

if you interpret the graph quite simply, that's a deeper snowpack that the deepest on average!

what does this boil down to?

THERE IS STILL SKINNING TO BE DONE! in fact, spruce peak has coverage on main street from near the base of sunsation quad. mansfield side of things looks completely solid (i rode the lifts on sunday) and gondola is still 100% as well. how things will fare this weekend? i don't know, we'll see. but the season is far from over my good sir.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 am 

vtbackcountry wrote:
otherwise only snow left here is at the resort

surfsnowywaves wrote:
now now, it'll be ok. THERE IS STILL SKINNING TO BE DONE

yep, as acknowledged, many resorts are still in good shape...

but fyi, no true bc turns left here in VT this season, if anyone's curious. pretty much what i was getting at before. :wink:

if lapping resort runs do it for you, more power to you, really. go for it. i guess i've just lost interest in familiar resort laps w/ no signif new snow in 7 weeks (seriously). kinda like milking knee high waves in jersey for a couple months... then again, at least you're in the water.

i hear you. enjoy if you're out, and report back --

Post subject: Mt Washington still wicked in.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:07 pm 

Woke up to fresh 2-3 inches of soaking wet stuff on Tuesday Morning at hermit lakes after a great sunny monday on hillmans.. It was just enough snow to cover the bare spots on the sherbie nicely - i was able to ride without interruption to the rope without having to unbind at all (even that weird little uphill roller thing was covered just enough)...

Not sure if you guys have heard but Mt. Washington got like 14" wednesday into thursday and even as of today has unslid cold windslab on some aspects.

Will be up there again May 9-10th ... will probably just carry a solid board though.

-Will

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:12 pm 

samblack wrote:
Hit Mt Marcy on weds. Lovely day in the adirondacks. Snowline was probably about halfway up (mileage wise)-got to split starting at a bridge just before it starts getting steeper. Corny on the east hiking ridge. Winter like on the north aspect, even a little recycled pow at treeline. Looks like it will have snow for a while. Trail down low was pretty muddy in areas. It was nice getting out on the split after not really riding this winter.

Nice!! :thatrocks:

Daks kinda got blown out early this year -- Wanted to bag Marcy in Jan. when I was up there but it was like -10 in the valley the whole week .. Are you talking about the Marcy Dam Bridge? So its still skinnable from there? You took the blue trail up toward indian falls from marcy dam?

-Will

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:59 am 

willyo617 wrote:
Nice!! :thatrocks:

Daks kinda got blown out early this year -- Wanted to bag Marcy in Jan. when I was up there but it was like -10 in the valley the whole week .. Are you talking about the Marcy Dam Bridge? So its still skinnable from there? You took the blue trail up toward indian falls from marcy dam?

-Will

i just hiked marcy on monday. i'd say that you could probably start skinning a little ways past indian falls. there might be some more bare spots forming on the way to the top, but it should be manageable. there's still some decent coverage at the top, we didn't have any skis/boards with us so we just decided to glissade down one of the snowfields.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14