Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Gregornio Wilderness
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:02 pm 

SmokinFatBob wrote:
Cool. Also, give Dutch MArC_OS a shout....he's looking to do some local tours and if you change dates, maybe you can include him on your permit. And bring Dude too :)

Looks like the switch would be a no-go. Commitments and other issues. Have fun and give me some beta for my trip next w/e...I hope the top softens enough for you guys. Snow looks to be pretty hard most of the day right now.

They have already mailed the Wilderness Permit...but I put down "six" and we probably will have only have 4-5 max. Me, ADogg, WTP, J.P. and one of his friends...Dutch Marc is welcome to join us...
dsmith@fuhsd.net

I was not going to bring Dude...BION, there is a dog "leash" requirement in the SGW area, crazy but they have one.

I presume you are going up South Fork Trail and staying at Dry Lake, right? Some info below that I am sure you are aware...

SAN GREGORNIO WILDERNESS TRAIL UPDATE - April 6
South Fork Trail Expect scattered patches of snow 3 inches deep around Horse Meadows, 1 to 2 feet of snow around wilderness boundary, up to 5 feet of snow around South Fork Meadows, 8 feet in Dry Lake, and up to 9 feet of snow in bowl areas. In the higher elevations snow is hard and very slippery, use extreme caution. Some avalanche run-off exists over trail just before South Fork Meadows. Crampons/snow shoes/snow poles RECOMMENDED inside wilderness. [US Forest Service]

Journal entry on www.sgwa.org :

South Fork Trail - April 3, 2005

We summitted San Gorgonio on Sunday, April 3, 2005, after overnighting at Dry Lake.

On Saturday, we hiked for five hours from the South Fork Trail head. There was patchy snow for the first few miles, before becoming continuous once past the wilderness boundary. The weather was clear and pleasant, in the 50s. We did not use snowshoes or crampons, but snow shoes might be recommended considering some of the soft snow at lower elevations. It got down to 30 deg F at night. Clear sky, beautiful stars.

On Sunday morning, we left camp at 5:45 am, and ascended the bowl between Jepson Peak and San Gorgonio, to the south-southwest of Dry Lake. We ascended the western (right) edge of the bowl, and followed a steep rock outcropping that put us on the ridge halfway between Jepson and Gorgonio. Of the three in our group, I was the only one to use crampons, and I'm glad I did. The other two guys were pretty secure in their footing, and decided to skip the crampons. The route was quite steep, and later we agreed that crampons are advised, unless you're quite secure in your footing and you're wearing plastic boots with a good edge. It was rather hairy for one steep portion of the ascent where we were straddling rock and snow, and wedging fingers into cracks in the rocks. We were using ski poles during the ascent.

Once on the ridge line, the wind kicked up severely all the way to the summit. We reached the summit at 8:45 am (3 hours from Dry Lake). One other guy had made the summit at the same time we did. In a region of 18 million people, there were just four of us on the summit that morning. Cool, eh?

We left the summit after 30 minutes (9:15 am) because it was darn cold, and descended along a steep, all-snow route into the bowl. It was still early, and the snow was still hard and icy. Any later (warmer), and the snow might have started to soften and slide. We returned to camp at 11:00 am, broke camp at departed at 11:30 am, wearing snowshoes until past Horse Meadows. We reached the trail head at 2:30 pm, then went to get some Gatorade in Angelus Oaks.

Minimal wildlife was seen. Just a few squirrels and birds, but no bears or deer.

Have fun, and be safe, and let me know how it was for my group.

peace,
D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:20 pm 

Cool, thanks for the 411.

I called the ranger station this morning and was told the leash requirement was due to the numerous coyote and mountain lions in the area and that they've been known to eat lost dogs.

I didn't press the issue with her but I know in some wilderness areas of the Sierra, your dog can be off-leash if he's under voice command at all times (meaning he comes on the first call, not the second, third, etc.). Not sure if that applies to dogs in the San G wilderness but I'm sure I'll find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:36 pm 

A Mt. Lion eating Dude? No way could I see that one happenning--big dog and irony...especially since the plates on my truck are "MT LIONS" :P

Again, let me know what you find out...might change my mind and take the pup if you find out differently.

peace,
D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:58 am 

Dude, bring Dude. If the rules are in place to protect your dog and not the environment then what the hell. If you see a ranger call Dude back and put him on a leash. F.ck the Police!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:48 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
If the rules are in place to protect your dog and not the environment then what the hell. !

Yeah....after reading that, the reasoning the woman on the phone gave me doesn't quite make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:54 pm 

San Gorgonio was off the hook! What days are you going next weekend and do you still have room on your permit? So many sick lines up there off Jepson.....I have to go back.

Will post a few pictures later.

Oh, and seriously, take Dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:30 am 

SFB,

how was the approach? did you have to foot hike for a while?

looking forward to a TR and some pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:06 pm 

mtnrider wrote:
SFB,

how was the approach? did you have to foot hike for a while?

looking forward to a TR and some pics...

Yeah, we hiked for a while. I didn't start skinning until we got to the drainage below Dry Lake. As you're coming up the trail, the drainage heads up and turns right. We started skinning about 200 yards below that turn. You could skin sooner but you'd be skinning over icy footsteps and suncups. You'd also be removing the skis to get past dirt patches etc. It's faster to hike it.

I didn't bring my camera with me but another person did. Once I get those pictures, I'll post them with a brief TR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:30 pm 

SFB...group right now looks to be you, me, Adogg, WTP are all for certain...I still have two slots left on the permit--WTP was to be bringing a bro (but I have not heard any definites, yet) and you mentioned something about Tarkman coming along...

Mtnrider...wanna come, if one of the last two slots falls through? It is just a single overnighter for Sat-Sun this weekend...
Looks like most of us want to focus on some of the Jepson Lines...if you are interested, pm me or email me: dsmith@fuhsd.net

peace,
D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:35 pm 

Bodhi wrote:
SFB...group right now looks to be you, me, Adogg, WTP are all for certain...I still have two slots left on the permit--WTP was to be bringing a bro (but I have not heard any definites, yet) and you mentioned something about Tarkman coming along...

I emailed Tarkman but haven't heard back yet. Here's a shot I found that someone took of Jepson on Saturday:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/329 ... 3703xfujhr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:47 am 

Tempting...

I have to see if I can get my chores all done...probably pm or email later this week.
If you have someone that will snag the spot for sure, take them.

Good looking out!

Post subject: Joining weekend trip >!?<
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:17 pm 

Hi Bodhi & SFB / mtnrider, I would like to join you guys this weekend. Let me know if OK. Don't want to steel last spot from mtnrider! Sort of need to know quick, to start making plans ahead. Hope I can join you guys

Grtx MD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:08 pm 

Dutch - Shoot Bodhi a quick email (in the first post above) to let him know. I don't think he is able to access this site anymore from his work.

I was beat after the slog out of there last Sunday but I'm looking forward to getting back up there and doing it all over again :D