Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How stiff a boot?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 pm 

So I've been reading through some older posts on this board and come to the conclusion that stiff boots really help out when skining and hiking. Since I'm not familiar with mountaineering equipment, I've decided to limit my search to standard snowboard boots. I'm a huge fan of Burton gear and have read good stuff about both the Driver and the Ion. The Driver sounds like a ski boot (not really, but it sounds stiff) so I'm a little worried about the comfort level. After all, I bought a splitboard rather than a Rondane setup because I love the surfy/gliding feel of snowboarding over skiing (still break out the two planks every once in a while). Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How stiff a boot?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 pm 

Go for a stiffy! Unless you are really lightweight, I would recommend going with a stiff "soft" boot. As you like Burton, you cannot go wrong with the Driver X if it fits you well. The first few days the D-X will feel too stiff, but it breaks in and starts flexing easier with 4 or 5 days of split use (I think skinning tends to loosen them up pretty quickly). The dual zone lacing on the D-X allows you to keep the cuff a little looser if you like, until they break in. As long as it fits your foot, the Driver X should be comfortable (but so should a properly fit ski boot).
I am about 170 lbs without gear, and the Driver X performs great for me as my soft boot choice.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:40 am 

how hard a sooft boot

- hard condition - hard boots but not so simpel

i ride burtons driver x ( black - red one ) the 3 rd saision .
it is a good boot for hiking - walking . because on ice condition s - is a hardboot with orginal stiffy crampons a other wourld - it is a big direrent .
a compromiss is the driver x all the time - for a real sooft boot to hard - for a hardboot to sooft ....
for clinbing up the mountain - and ride on a 2 pice board perfect. only the performenc after 50 tours go away... some stitches open ... and some glue neded...
next boot ???? driver X 2010 alternative salomon

Burton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:18 am 

I just got a pair of '09 Driver Xs that showed up yesterday. Tried them on last night in the house, and even strapped onto the board. Definitely a stiff boot, but not uncomfortable. In fact they were very comfortable. Of course riding them will be a different story, but I doubt they will be hardboot stiff while riding. And from others saying they will loosen after 4-5 riding days of breaking in, maybe even sooner if heat molding them. I also have some '08 Serows coming in today or tomorrow, so I will be comparing to those and trying to decide which I will keep. I may need to actually ride both before I can make a true decision - the downside of that is that I won't technically be able to return them, and most likely sell them with only a couple days on them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be looking for a set of Drivers. Are they any huge differences between the '09 and '08 models? I think both have the quick lacing system which I hear is nice but prone to breaking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 am 

apparently a good improvement in the lacing system for '09... but i've never had '08s to compare (these '09 DX's will be my first speed lace boots)... i find the '09s to look better than the '08s - the toe on the '08 looks weird (personal preference and aesthetics of course... but comfort and performance are what should matter)... and the '09 liners no longer have the upper strap from what i see... now just velcro to tie to the liner's tongue to the side panels...

you can get '09s for a great price on evogear... where i got mine... got the last size 9's... 10.5/11/11.5 left... (i believe too that they are a sponsored vendor for splitboard.com ...) backcountry.com has a few more sizes and the white ones, but not as cheap as evogear...

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BUR2522/Burton-Driver-X-Snowboard-Boot-Mens.html

http://www.evogear.com/snowboard-boots/burton-driver-x-2009.aspx