All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:15 pm 

Good summary bb!

I'll add a few clarifications. :D

Splitboards don't “suckâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:56 am 

Thanks for calling me out BCR. I was in an overly cynical mood when I wrote that (too much time at work). Let me clarify the point I was trying to make.

Tele, like splitboarding, has problems too. Tele ski boots are fixed at the toe making more friction and less efficiency. It is hard on the knees and making turns is strenuous (at lest more than snowboarding and alpine skiing). The learning curve is also much worse, and tele skiers have a harder time adapting to mixed conditions. But millions of people do it so there must be something about the aesthetics that makes it worth while. Same for splitboarding (well, maybe not millions). Each mode of snow travel has its pros and cons.

My over simplified opinion on a scale of 1 to 10

(sport)=(up),(down),(fun)
AT=10,8,4
tele=8,6,8
split=7,10,10
snow shoes W/board=3,9,9
fido=10,10,10

Different strokes for different folks. I wish I was a dog. :lol:
I still hate poo poo on my snowboard shoe though. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:51 pm 

what an interesting thread...huh

bigboater wrote:
...Tele skiing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but then again neither do fixed gear bikes and NAS Car. I'm not quite sure what the advantage is, but I'm sure someone else can contribute to this thought...

Here my contribution and just an other point of view. I have both Tele and AT and even tried Snowboarding 15 years ago for a couple of days. But isn't that more a point of view and preference if something makes sense or not. I'm living/skiing in both worlds, America and Europe. Honestly Telemarking does not make a lot of sense to the European BC skier in the Alps, Scandinavia might be different. But it made alot of sense to me and my buddies over there when we started to take the Telemark equipment into the BC and all the AT guys were shaking their heads and stared at us like we were aliens. Probably we were at that time and I bet Telemarker still are.

Coming over to America, I was surprised how many Telemarkers are in the BC over here. I bet it makes kind of sense to them, and on the other hand the ATers they have their reason as well as the Splitters and the Snowshoers. It makes all sense to the individual.

What kind of equipment makes sense in what kind of terrain and snow conditions? This is a different topic but would clarify your statement better and leads to different results.

I think what really makes sense is that, that each different piece of snow-sliding equipment gives the most fun to the individual who thinks it makes the most sense for him or her. That's why I'm on tele or AT. It even makes sense for me as a skier to hang around the Splitboard forum :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:57 pm 

Gumpie wrote:
what an interesting thread...huh

Yeah, I thought this kinda thread only happened on that Telemark[tm] forum :wink: