Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G3 8mm dual bars incompatible with Sparks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 am 

So I bought a set of the 8mm dual climbing bars and tried mounting them with the sparks. No dice. The red plastic mount for the g3's hits the crosspiece at the back of the bottom of the Sparks baseplate, which is nowhere near strong enough to support the weight of a person.

I'm gonna mess with the setup and try to get it working, but it is definitely not compatible out of the box.

Post subject: Re: G3 8mm dual bars incompatible with Sparks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:24 pm 

The spark's are fully COMPATIBLE with the g3 dual risers. I was worried when i saw a post on here with the bent crosspiece of metal on the bottom of the sparks when using the g3's. I cut the plastic in half on the voile climbing heel piece, and sanded it down a bit so it would jam into the little gap.. See the photo- i have had many days on this set up and it works great.
After using these climbing bars, i'll never go back to the single voile bar. The big climbing bar helps a TON on the steeps...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:38 pm 

Has anyone tried using the G3 climbing heels with a Voile set up? I've read a previous thread..but am wondering if anyone has had any issues with damaging the strength or integrity of either the binding, plates, or heel lift.

Looks like no issues with replacing the G3 with the standard Voile heel lift. Is it as simple as only needing to add some rubber/padding on the bars (to avoid metal hitting metal)??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:55 am 

How does this all work with Mr Chomps??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:13 pm 

Quote:
Has anyone tried using the G3 climbing heels with a Voile set up? I've read a previous thread..but am wondering if anyone has had any issues with damaging the strength or integrity of either the binding, plates, or heel lift.

Looks like no issues with replacing the G3 with the standard Voile heel lift. Is it as simple as only needing to add some rubber/padding on the bars (to avoid metal hitting metal)??

I've been using these on my Voile this season. I was having issues with the small heel lift (the triangle shaped one) not snapping all the way up so instead of hitting underneath my foot, it would hit the metal tab on the heel end of the slider plates. It was starting to cause damage, but I caught it in time.

I ended up switching out the small G3 heel lift for my old voile heel lift and haven't had any issues (it looks like the voile heel lift is too narrow at the base for the G3 base, but it snapped into place and works perfectly). I've also added some electrical tape to the top of the large G3 heel lift, which has always worked fine, to prevent the metal on metal action.

Post subject: G3 8mm dual bars with Fuse bindings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:49 pm 

Just tried out the very brand new board with G3 dual heel lifts with Fuse bindings.

I noticed scratches and scuffs on the bottom of the Fuse baseplates where the baseplate sits on the small and high climbing bars. i have clear vinyl tubing on my bars but obviously this didnt avoid the problem. i have 2 points of contact where the base was getting scuffed on one binding, and 1 scuffed point of contact on the other binding.

i was only skinning for an hour today, but after coming home noticed the edges of the vinyl tubing were sliced, and that the marks on the binding were at the ends of the climbing bars, not the center. replaced the vinyl tubing with a longer piece that now curves all the way over the corners/edges today. hope this can avoid any more scuffing.

im not worried about aesthetic scratches to the baseplates.. i just dont want serious indentations from long term use. anyone else having issues with this?

also another note with the G3 climbing bars. I didn't use the piece of plastic from the voile bars which sits between the wires and base of board. bad idea... when the wires were consistently being turned up and down, the ends were putting serious scratches into my top sheet. looks like i'm either putting that ugly gray voile piece on there.. or going to home depot to find some other plastic/rubber contraption. has anyone made a mod for this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm 

It is surprising to hear that Sparks R&D Fuse Bindings are not compatible with the G3 8mm climbing heels. I noticed that in this years Backcountry 2010 Gear Guide they claimed that the Fuse bindings with their solid piece of aluminum baseplate, now has no compatibility issues with the G3 8mm climbing heel riser. They did acknowledge issues with the Ignition II bindings and the G3 8mm climbing heels.