Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Mod for $50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:53 am 

I'll start this in the talk forum, but BCrider if you think it belongs somewhere else please move it.
A friend of mine and his buddy who works in some sort of machine shop have come up with a solid mod for the Burton release lever issue. For $50 to cover the guy who is making it costs you'll get the two modification pieces, rivets and instructions on how to install it. Kevin has it installed on his Burton I can say that it is solid.
Here is a link to the pictures of the mod.
http://jacstudio.com/Boot_binding.jpg
If anyone is interested the email contacts are for Kevin:
kevin.dickerson@coors.com
or Jac Corless:
jac@jacstudio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:40 pm 

Cheers to Kevin and Jac for their work. But, you can still get replacement pieces for free/ultra cheap, and there're other cheaper mods out there.

I've been thinking about making my own replacement levers out of a casted resin material.

Try taking that machined piece, make a mold, and cast new levers out of polyester resin and fiberglas, or heavyweight Bondo. Might work, might break, would only cost 10 cents.

Cool to see some neat machine work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:36 am 

That is a cool machined piece...can be a tad cheaper but hey...someone took some time.

mofoco...um...bondo eh? :lol: don't need fiberglass or polyester either...if you bother to make a mold you might as well use some materials that are worth while.

Let me know, I'll cut your mold for you real cheap... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:39 am 

Cool mod! 8)

I agree its a little spendy though when a simple piece of accessory cord will accomplish the same thing.

Did you address the “lockingâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:12 am 

bcrider wrote:
How about manufacturing the climbing bar housing (small plastic piece on the underside of the interface) out of aluminum? This would make it more secure and durable, potentially alleviating the need to bend them back every so often. I'd buy a set. :)

I was thinking about that too... the main problem is the plastic stopper piece is too narrow. Could probably get away with a pair of self-adhesive rubber bumpers on either side of the stopper to increase the effective width. Maybe I'll try that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:27 am 

It took me a sec to figure out what you are saying jimw.

You're talking about the plastic stopper on the board…not the climbing bar housing on the underside of the interface, right?

The narrow width of the stopper is what leads to the climbing bar bend. This is a separate issue than what I was describing (getting rid of the “playâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:17 pm 

Oh, yeah I was confused and thought you were talking about the stopper. Well, SOME of us can play with the new Burtons... :) I've been happy with the '04 interfaces so far, aside from the random screw falling out! Haven't had the problem with rotational play in the interface that I had with the '03 - yet. So for me it's working pretty well. I guess it's too little, too late though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:46 pm 

bcrider wrote:
...How about manufacturing the climbing bar housing (small plastic piece on the underside of the interface) out of aluminum? This would make it more secure and durable, potentially alleviating the need to bend them back every so often. I'd buy a set. :)

Ditto on that.

I have wrapped a thin peice of duct tape around the sides of the metal climbing bars were they meet the plastic piece to increase resistance needed for them to collapse...would love to have something more stable and less jerry-rigged.

peace,
D.

Post subject: Burton Mods
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:02 am 

Yo! everyone. The most expensive part was the programmin of the C&C machine. I paid for that. Maybe 50$ is a little high. If ya are really interested contact me and I'll send ya one of the 5 sets that are already made up......for free. just check em out and let me know if ya like em. I have a few more projects on the burners. We'll take a look at the heel lifter plate for sure. My guy is a master machinist. If you have any projects or ideas let me know. .......
thanks K