Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Screws coming loose

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Screws coming loose
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:56 pm 

Lost two screw off my Burton Split this past w/e on a bc trip, almost lost the interface mount off one split as a result...is this a common thing?

Right now I feel like I have to tighten everthing on my board as a precaution everytime I go out...

peace,
D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:11 pm 

Yep... twice I've lost the heel lift. The Burton interface needs a lot of TLC... check everything twice before you go and you should be OK. Never thought of this before, but it might be worth considering epoxying some of the screws that you never take out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:11 pm 

Try wrapping your screws with white teflon plumbers tape. You still have to run a screwdriver over them every once in a while but I've had good success using them on binding and touring bracket screws. Not so much on my tip clip screws though.

btw, I've got rivets and a rivet gun so next time we meet up, I'll take care of those pesky tip clips for ya. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:22 am 

SmokinFatBob wrote:
...btw, I've got rivets and a rivet gun so next time we meet up, I'll take care of those pesky tip clips for ya. :)

Cool with the rivets...Burton sent me 4 pairs of extra clips and screw (8 clips in all), little overkill, but now I have a BIG supply of the things...now I need to get extra screws for the interface mounts to replace the lost ones...I took an extra screw out of each of the heel riser mounts to get me out of the bc Sun....

peace,
D.

Post subject: Loose screws
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 am 

I blue locktited (new verb) my screws and have not checked them for quite awhile because they don't come loose anymore.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:24 am 

Didn't I rivet the tip hooks for you Bodhi? Sorry if I didn't…

Why Burton chose to use screws over rivets for their tip hooks is beyond me but once you do the rivet mod you'll be golden. Currently I'm using one Voile tip hook and one Burton (both riveted).

For the climbing bars, the Teflon tape or locktite are good recommendations. Do one and be done with it.

As for the rest of the hardware (climbing brackets, crescent moons), it's a good idea to hit them with some locktite too and check them every few trips. After using the Voile system for the better part of this year I can say that screws can loosen regardless of the make.

Splitboard maintenance is key. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:40 am 

bcrider wrote:
Why Burton chose to use screws over rivets for their tip hooks is beyond me but once you do the rivet mod you'll be golden.

On my Palisades trip, we were gearing up at the trailhead and I went to tighten the screw on my tip clip and the thing snapped on me. I spent the trip riding with duct tape holding the nose together. I know Bentley mentioned he prefers the screws over rivets on his NS boards but lets just say I was cursing his choice of screws on that particular trip! I do carry spare screws/clips with me now just in case a rivet decides to break and I need a quick repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:16 am 

SmokinFatBob wrote:
On my Palisades trip, we were gearing up at the trailhead and I went to tighten the screw on my tip clip and the thing snapped on me. I spent the trip riding with duct tape holding the nose together.

I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to hook the tip/tail clips together before starting down (ahem, this was "back in the day", of course I never do this anymore... :)). And you know what? I never noticed any performance difference from the board. I guess technically with the tail clip loose it ought to feel kinda more like a swallowtail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 am 

SFB,

You snapped the Voile tip hook?
Did you just tighten it too tight or was the plastic too brittle?

jimw,
If you are on firm snow you'd be able to tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:40 am 

bcrider wrote:
SFB,
You snapped the Voile tip hook?
Did you just tighten it too tight or was the plastic too brittle?

No, just the aluminum screw (well-nut? t-nut?) that holds the tip to the board. I think the clips themselves are pretty strong.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I only used rivets on holding the clip to the board, not the other side that with the spacer that the tip clips to. That side never comes loose on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:26 pm 

bcrider wrote:
jimw,

In some of those cases I was. Well, spring snow at least. And it felt fine. The interface plates and the chinese hooks do the lion's share of the work keeping the board together and stable for the part of the edge that sees the most use. If I had to choose one piece to lose on a trip, the tip clip would be it. Of course we shouldn't have to even worry about losing anything, but that's another story... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:39 pm 

jimw wrote:
bcrider wrote:
jimw,

In some of those cases I was. Well, spring snow at least. And it felt fine.

You should just remove them then to save time during the transition and weight. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:20 pm 

Hey man, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can't help it if mine happens to be the right one. :roll:

J/K. It's all good. Just posting my experiences for consideration, take it or leave it, YMMV, and all that. And I do happen to like having the tip/tail clips there. You're right though, I probably could save a ton of weight by removing them... :)

My point was, if you happen to lose a tip/tail clip on a tour, it's not the end of the world. The board will still work fine.