Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: new sled - its gear right?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:32 pm 

libtechsplit wrote:
everywhere i want to go pretty much has a logging road to the base of it.

Have the same poblem here in the Cascades, plus some of the nice lines on Baker have sled access too. I am sled shopping, too, just for long approaches on logging roads I respect the non-motorized access areas, and they are nice to have, but the other stuff calls for transport. I want to ride more than skin, if you know what I mean... :thumpsup:

Post subject: oh - i thought you meant this kind of sled
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:47 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:49 pm 

I do believe he meant this...yes, its red, its FAST, and its mine!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:33 pm 

yep. mine and i have no clue how to use it. sluffer has seen me pitch it down a slope over and over and over again.

it did get us pretty close to the center peak though

as for me being a hippy, this lives in my player at the moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsAruHCHHw

so yeah, maybe

if i ever start to think that 5000 feet is something to write home about or a 10km approch is a big day, then i'm selling the fucking thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:06 pm 

I started sledding back in 2004 or 2005. My first sled was a Yamaha V-max, it's not as nice as the one in this thread. I still have it, though I sold it to my brother for what I paid for it, $500. It runs like a champ, but it's not a powder sled really because it's got a 122 track with 1 inch paddles. I love this little sled in the springtime, it's so small and maneuverable.

My new sled is better in the powder. It has a 144 track with 2 inch paddles. The Yamaha is a 580, The Polaris I ride now is a 600. The 600's run forever and rarely blow up and they are lighter than the 700s, 800s, and 1000s

You should rebuild your top end at 2500 miles. If you're pull start is really easy to pull when you start your sled, you might be losing compression and should rebuild the top end. You should also get a grease gun and lube all the pivot points in the track. There are grease fittings usually about 5 or 6 that you should lube up every season. If you have never changed your chain case oil, you should do that, you can check to see if there are any metal flakes, signs something might be going wrong and make sure your chain is in good condition. If your chain breaks out there, your gonna have a bad day, either getting towed or riding back with someone and leaving your ride in the wilderness. Also you wanna keep your engine clean, so you can keep an eye out for signs of trouble, like leaking antifreeze or too much oil in the belly pan. And you should have your clutches cleaned and gone through regularly. If you clutches are sticking and not performing optimally, you are going to lose power and then have bigger issues eventually.

I don't think I'm a sledhead, I think the proper term is sledneck. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm 

the thread that lives on! man i completely missed all these replys ... :nononno:

some good maintenance tips , LTR.. i may have to bite the bullet and have my clutches serviced. Im a bit scared to open them up myself.

last year, my machine was feeling even more underpowered than usual at the start of the season. it took some head scratching to figure out that i had seized bearings in a few of my bogey wheels. more than enough drag to slow down the 250.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:56 pm 

To continue the thread resurrection, I picked up an 06 arctic cat m7 a few years back and turned into a sledneck. The plan was to get it for access to board only, but the better I get at riding it the more fun I have.

Tips on keeping it maintained, clutches are key. Clean them well and often, you'll extend their life and keep things performing tip top. If the bushings don't slide smoothly or the rollers bongs rebuild them sooner rather then later. Check your belt thickness and replace when primary clutch clearance gets large. Read aeens book on cvt clutching for info on how the clutches work and rebuild tips.

Sleds use a lot of off the shelf parts, such as bearings. Check the part numbers on things like bearings and then order from a bearing supply company. Saved me $200 over the dealer when I rebuilt my sled.

More later

http://www.chair2boardsports.com