Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY Driver Liner Mold Instructions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:18 pm 

Looking for a little help/advice on how to do a home mold job on my Driver X liners...if it is even possible. I found this older thread by K Dan with details on the Malamutes: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3016&p=19037&hilit=mold+liner#p19037

He also references other posts on this site about the subject, but I can't find them for the life of me... Perhaps the recipe is the same for the Drivers as the Malamutes?

If someone has a link with my answer, or can drop a little knowledge on me here, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
JC

Post subject: Re: DIY Driver Liner Mold Instructions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 am 

This post over at Lou's site may help

http://www.wildsnow.com/72/bootfitting- ... ry-skiing/

Post subject: Re: DIY Driver Liner Mold Instructions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:57 pm 

Thanks Bigdood - that link helped.

So, if any future site searchers stumble onto this, let me tell you what worked for me - sorry, no pics.

Non-convection oven set at 225. I purchased an oven thermometer - which was key. Just propped it on the side where I could check temps. Used a cookie sheet with alum foil underneath liner to protect from any heat kicking off the coils. To also help avoid the scorch, I turned down the oven to about 200 when I loaded them. Temp held fine for the duration.

I did one at a time. Ran for 12 mins. Prepped the boots by using the K Dan duct tape down the back of the inside of the boot. Opened all the laces, etc.

I used an old beat down board sock, another sock cut for toe cap, and a couple small spacers for in between key toe spots. I used my Superfeet liners as well - don't bake these guys! These went into an assembly on my foot all held by a stocking liner (basically panty hose with only the leg...)

Removed from oven (had a set of leather work gloves on - key.) Got the foot in the liner. Liner in the boot. Snugged up. Had a small board to rest the underside of the front of the boot on to drive the heel a bit. After the initial liner to boot insert, I had to push my foot around just a bit and knock the heel back. Once set, I held in place for 10 mins.

The whole thing worked amazingly well and it was pretty darn easy to manage.

Good luck if you try it. Very doable with Driver liners.

JC