Level 1 63%  63%  [ 25 ]
Level 2 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Level 3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All of the above 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
None of the above 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 40
 Post subject: Re: Avalanche classes you've completed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:40 am 

i took aiare level 1 last year and hope to take level 2 next season. after i get back to vermont after winter break i want to try to do a snowpack study for the rest of the season if i can find a good spot on mansfield. i need to get more time in with looking at snowpits and using beacons because i haven't yet had a chance to practice anything i learned in the course.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:29 pm 

i disagree with what some of you say about taking avy 2: the progression to beyond level 1 is crucial if you want to improve your knowledge about making the best possible decisions in the backcountry- the level 2 IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL COURSE, the level 3 is!
according to AIARE (www.avtraining.org - also see www.alpineworldascents.com), the following is a brief description of course levels:
<> level 1: introduction to the avalanche phenomenon and basic decision making
this course gives you the basics about travel in avy terrain. topics included terrain recognition, tour planning, snow metamorphism, avy hazard observation techniques, rescue techniques, decision making (aka "terrain selection").
<> level 2: advanced decision making
this course provides much more insight about understanding, recognizing and dealing with avalanche hazard. advanced decision making tools, such as digging a pit to help analyze snow stability, are discussed.
<> level 3: industry standard, professional decision making
this is the course where you learn avy forecasting and operational avy hazard management. while required standard for many winter outdoor professionals (guides, patrollers, ..), this course is also suited for the serious backcountry traveler.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm 

Mtn Man-agreed completely.

Which is my current dilemma, I have 8 years under my belt, when I go out with people who taken a level 1 or higher classes the response is always the same, my current knowledge and experience is beyond what I would find taking a level 1 class. That said given the right guide or group there is probably some things I could still learn. However, the feedback I have recieved is such that I cannot justify spending the money on that class. I am currently trying to get into a level 2 class but without the 1 certificate it's been a pain. It's frustrating I am not looking for a certificate to hang on my fridge I am looking for knowledge to make me better at my art. Route finding is # one it's not something you learn in a class or in two days going into the slack country it comes from experience, same goes for digging a pit, and everything else related, which was eloquently stated in the last post. In hignsight6, 7,8 years ago I should have taken a level 1, looking for more now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 am 

Congratulations to me for completing level 2 last weekend! Our very own Dishwasher Dave taught the class at Lake Tahoe Community College for something like $58 for a 4 day course. We are very fortunate here that the wilderness program at LTCC is able to offer an affordable option so everybody can have access to this type of education without selling off any gear.

Level 2 was very different from level 1. Level 1 was a general overview that touched on everything broadly but was largely about routefinding, decision-making, and scaring the crap out of you.

Level 2 was much more snow sciencey and we spent way more time digging pits, including full profiles. We also did beacon practice and strategic shoveling and some other stuff. I really enjoyed the class and now I'm looking forward to digging around in the Wyoming snow during scrubfest. It is good, geeky fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 am 

I've taken Avy I & II with Ron and Rod. I've been really fortunate to have had the chance to spend days out with friends who are guides and avy instructors. 3 of my BC partners have been guides for over 25 yrs. A few of my buddies are patrollers and I've learned a lot from them as well. I take advantage of opportunities to talk snow science any chance I get, on line at the grocery store, the parking lot on the pass, where ever. :thumpsup:

Knowledge is key.

"Application of knowledge is power." Bruce Lee- The Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:28 pm 

I've taken two "awareness courses" as well as Avy I. Along with all the hours of reading I've done on the subject, I don't feel the need to progress to Avy II at this point in life. Redundancy is the key to learning this stuff. Once you've had it pounded into your heard over and over again, most of the decision making comes natural.

I have no doubt I'll take level II in the future, for right now I want to focus my education in the realm of wilderness survival and medicine.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com