Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pretty Awesome RAINIER trip report!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 pm 

I just stumbled upon this but my friend pretty much just talked me into doing it over a heineken and a few hits of the bubbler just now.

Read Here

(Scroll down to "LONG STORY" and make some popcorn... :rock:

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject: Re: Pretty Awesome RAINIER trip report!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 am 

Yeah, sweet report huh. Amar does some pretty crazy things up here, and posts nice TRs about them too. He's got a pretty informative site as well: http://skimountaineer.com/

Now, you're friend talked you into the reading the TR over heineken, or he talked you into coming up this way and trying to ski Rainier?

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:56 am 

Both :D

He's moving up to the Olympic area next week to work on some hippie farm. We're talking about climbing Rainier in mid-May. I'd plan to book a flight from Denver to Seattle a week or so in advance, and he'd drove on through and pick me up that morning, drive to the National Park to camp that night, then work on the mountain during the next couple of days.

Have you done it?

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:27 pm 

Yup :)

We had an unsuccesful non-skiing summit bid via the DC in June and a succesful Emmons Glacier ski in July. http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5184

I'd really like to ski the Finger/Thumb, and I also really want to climb Success Cleaver, mainly due to it's relative obscurity and likely lack of crowds.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm 

kjkrow wrote:
We had an unsuccesful non-skiing summit bid via the DC in June and a succesful Emmons Glacier ski in July. http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5184

Dang...both TRs have me even more stoked for an upcoming trip to the Emmons in June! :bananas:

Wondering how difficult the route-finding (i.e., crevasse avoidance) was during the ski/board descent? My partner has climbed the DC, but has never boarded anything of this magnitude, so we are still trying to decide whether to take the splits all the way, use them up/down from Schurman or just boot the whole thing :scratch:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm 

Avs (coincidentally, I was growing up in Denver during both the cup years) . . .

Route-finding wasn't difficult, and I wouldn't really expect it to be in June either, but of course that depends on a lot of things. We descended adjacent to the well traveled boot path, and as long as you take your time and are careful that should prove to be a reliable handrail.

Probably our biggest route finding folly was on Liberty Saddle, where we descended slightly further than necessary to cross the bergschrund. It didn't really matter that much, since we wanted to rope up and downclimb over the 'schrund. There were a few snow-bridges/tight crossings that we felt safer crossing sans board (though we didn't rope up for them either, just hustled across). At the top of the Corridor (about 1,500 feet of no crevasses) there is a small icefall that we also walked through unroped. From just below Emmons Glacier camp to below Camp Schurman when climbing back onto the prow we traveled roped up/booting, since it's pretty low-angled, there were more crevasses, and not much vert missed.

My take on the splits/taking a board: why not take them at least to Schurman, and see how you feel. That way, you still have a few thousand feet of quick descent down the interglacier. But if you guys feel comfortable, I'd urge you to take 'em all the way. Most of the summit teams left between 10pm - 2am, while we (the only skiiers at the time) got up at 3am and left at 4am. They passed us while we were ascending, we topped out, and the descent took about 45 minutes, as opposed to 2-4 hours. We got back to Camp Schurman more refreshed, and were actually out of there faster than many of the teams that had gotten back to camp around 7-8am and gone back to bed.

And, if you're looking to save some weight, you could just take a solid board (depends on snow conditions down low). The upper glacier (>9500) is probably not worth trying to skin, the Interglacier could go either way, and below Glacier Basin (~6k) was melted out when we where there.

Enough information for ya?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:28 pm 

^^^ Many Thanks, will forward to my partner on the East Coast. :drinks:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg