Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malolo split
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:59 pm 

Kiwi in Canada – Voile Split Decision Malolo

Having skied and snowboarded since a young age in New Zealand, I eventually made the move to Canada. I have been here 2 years now and I am entering my third winter (currently in Revelstoke BC). There is a lot of snow in Revelstoke, and with Rogers pass and other easily accessible touring areas close, I am now starting to go deeper into the backcountry.
I recently tried to sell my 05 Burton Malolo unsuccessfully.... so I decided to utilise it in a 3 day Avalanche Safety course, set in Rogers Pass, BC Canada. I was on snowshoes and there were a lot of splitboarders present, mostly due to the fact that the guide was on one and was promoting them. I immediately saw the difference in effort between us on snowshoes and the splitboarders. Not only do you not have to carry your board, but the general effort of ascent is reduced dramatically. As we all got to know one-another I found out that you could cut your old board in half and make your own splitboard, as another on the course had done successfully. With all this in mind my Split Decision was made... “I’m gunna cut my Malolo!”

After reading a few posts on Splitboard.com and talking to people around town, I have decided to use a jigsaw. I taped up the snowboard to stop chipping and pinged a chalk-line down the center, as pictured on the 1st page.
I then set up a guide for the jigsaw and had a beer. I waited for a couple of interested friends to come over and then started cutting. This all went well until I reached the center inserts. I was aware this would happen so I was using metal a metal blade. Unfortunately the blade would not cut through the insert and I had to saw through them with just a hacksaw blade, and then a sawz-all, after which I just ran the jigsaw through to clear it out.

After I cleared the first set of inserts I thought I was home free and started cutting again. I was using the guide and all was working well until the blade creeped over to the left about 3mm. ARGH! With the guide I could not correct the angle and it was just the blade moving over not the saw. I then got some new better blades that cut through the metal and all and came back from the other end of the board and met the other line.

When I pulled the board apart I saw the results from the cutting process mainly in the insert areas. The wood on the 1st set had been burned and one on the inserts just popped out. Also the wood in the board sprung out so that when put together there was a gap at the tip and tail. To fix this I took the board to work and got the boys to run the halves down a table saw to straighten them up. I then gave the newly exposed edge of the board 1 coat of white primer, 4 coats of lacquer and 2 coats of matt black. The theory was that if the black wears off I will see the white come through and know it needs a touch up. And with that done the board has been split.

So now that my Voile Split Decision kit has arrived I can now get mounting. I went down to see some local ski tech guys. I was happy when they gave me a load of t-nuts and mounting hardware on the house and some good knowledge on how to install them. I used a step drill bit to drill the pre-centered holes. Then I coated the t-nut with epoxy and inserted them. I used a bolt and washer on the other side to secure them and made sure to remove the bolts before the epoxy was fully set.

The rest of the board was a breeze. I discarded the supplied t-nuts and also use a couple on each puck where screws were spec’d n the instructions. I managed to utilise one original mounting hole which was good. The alignment supports went on easily with a counter-sink drill bit and the tip and tail clips were easy to rivet with the pins and a hammer. Now all that was left to do was size the skins with the supplied tool and I was finished. With a big storm front moving through at this time I am really itching to get out and ride the thing!
I think if anything I would think twice about splitting a Burton. The center t-nuts are a real pain in the ass. But the jigsaw and then a tidy on the table worked well for me. All in all the voile split kit was awesome. I just hope the board holds out well and I was worth the effort.

Post subject: Re: Malolo split
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:15 pm 

it will totally be worth it! right on.
:bananas:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:11 pm 

Good job on the split. if you see someone with a funky setup on an arbor at rogers come say hi.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:16 pm 

MykiMike wrote:
I think if anything I would think twice about splitting a Burton. The center t-nuts are a real pain in the ass. But the jigsaw and then a tidy on the table worked well for me. All in all the voile split kit was awesome. I just hope the board holds out well and I was worth the effort.

I hear ya - I've cut a few burtons now and I'm trying to hone in on the most efficient way to deal with the inserts. I haven't tried a jigsaw, but it sounds like a good way to clean out the steel. Stainless is such a bitch to work with :cry:

My current method is to drill out as much of the steel from the top of the board (not all the way through) using graduated bits and lots of lube to keep from burning out the base material - which is kind of a game-ender.

I'll then fill up the hole with a fiberglass/resin/epoxy concoction and take it to the cutting board. Although there is still some steel left, the majority of the inserts are now resin and so much easier to cut through :thumpsup: After the cut, the remaining metal halves can be popped out pretty easily with some needlenose and light tapping with a hammer and nailset - fill the hole-halves and sand it down for a clean finish.... :doobie:

SPLITRIPPIN'S - Malolo 162cm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 am 

Boy that looks clean... Your work is always so clean!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:31 am 

"fu*kingonspeed"?

explain. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:51 am 

Jimmy T wrote:
Boy that looks clean... Your work is always so clean!

thanks jimmy, but it's mostly because I don't post pictures of the messes I make :wink:

Nikon wrote:
"fu*kingonspeed"?

explain. :lol:

...if you look a little closer, I believe it says f^*kingONEspeed - which I would guess is like being stuck in gear. But I'm no philosopher; I just cut what is sent me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:02 am 

Im about to split my malolo 158. How does yours perform after splitting?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:56 am 

Monk, I can't see the pics of the board at work.. Can you say chomping on the bit!

"f*ckingONEspeed. Because all my bikes are single speed. Single speed road bike, single speed Surly 1x1, and for a while a single speed P1.

Monk, I'm stoked to get the board.
:clap:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:13 am 

Ive chased a guy on a single speed surly around the mtn bike trails here and its a lot of work. Of course it might be because his legs are as big as my waist and he rides 75 mile round trip to work every day on his road bike 5-days a week. Very nice bike though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:56 am 

Wow! dedication for sure! that's a hell of alot of miles per week ... That dude must burn through cases of Chamois butter. The surly is a grand bike... great for downtown riding. Ya never know when you need to high-speed curb hop.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:27 pm 

to much insert s - like a swiss chees.
Steal edges - more than 750 mm inside is to much....

It is the wrong way .....

Burton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:06 pm 

hey b -

if you ever make it out to the states - I'd love to buy you a beer :drinks: