Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did I already mess up my skins?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:59 pm 

So I did my first couple of ascent/shreds and now my skins are not adhering as well as when I first put them on. I did wax my base. Did that begin the issue? Shall I simply go and purchase some goo and move on, or is there something more simple that I am overlooking?

Post subject: Re: Did I already mess up my skins?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 pm 

When are they not sticking as well?
Put them on your bases, get them on snow post haste and be sure to drag them along and not pick up your feet. Keep your boards on the snow when skinning esp.. when first starting out after putting them on. Make sure your boards are well scraped and brushed after waxing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:09 am 

Thanks for your reply split.therapy. They are not sticking as well here in my apartment. This just started and I did not want to go out on the snow and mes them up further until I knew a bit more, but am chomping at the bit to get out and up. I keep the temp in here around 69 degrees. I was a pro boarder x racer in the past and used the waxing techniques that I learned from that experience to make for a well-sealed and wicked-fast base. Should I wait until I am outside to apply my skins? I was putting them on the night before at home to save time in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:21 am 

Quote:
I was putting them on the night before at home to save time in the morning.

uh oh. That could be your problem. After drying out, keep skins in a cool place, not 70 degrees on your board in the house.

You're only saving 1 minute by putting them on your board the night before anyway.

Is the skin glue gooey and not sticking, or just not sticking?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 pm 

Thanks for the input powderjunkie. They are not gooey or sticky in general.

What's the verdict? If necessary I can re-goo them and treat my skins more appropriately from here on out if that is necessary. Live and learn, huh?!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:01 pm 

I'd recommend applying skins in the morning. You're concerned about a minute? If that's the case you probably should go back to boarder cross.

Kidding aside, here's the deal. You skins stick awesomely in your apartment because of the temperature. It may actually be sticking too well. Skin glue is meant to be adhesive enough to use at temperatures well below freezing. Therefore, when you're at 70 degrees, the glue gets a whole lot more adhesive.

As far as re-gluing, I wouldn't worry about that at all. I bought my teles with used skins that are a couple of years old, and since then they've just received more abuse. They're still going strong, and I've never had an issue with them. After a few trips, there's no way you've ruined them.

When you get home for the day, make sure they're dry (but don't be sticking them in direct sunlight or in heat). Once they're dry, put them in your fridge or freezer. Apply in the morning at the begin of skin, and you won't have any issues.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:46 pm 

Thanks for jumping in surfsnowywaves. I appreciate the levity as well as the knowledge that you have taken the time to impart to me.

Every single bit helps, and what you have brought to the table gives me the confidence I needed so that I can get back out there with my equipment. I am going to put my skins in the fridge right now so that I can go earn some powder turns in the morning. By the way, wicked user name.
Hang Loose:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:48 pm 

I am logged in at the last moment before crashing out to say thanks to you that responded to my query with gathered knowledge. I have been earnin and rippin and thankin all!!