Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone do a board/ski drag for short, steep pitches?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 am 

Here's where I'm coming with this question.

I've been trying to think up a system that would allow me to drag the skis (split mode) for a short distance (100-200ish vert) up a steep pitch that is too steep to skin.

I'm thinking of a cord attached to the lower portion of the pack with a caribiner on the opposite end that would clip to the skis. This biner would clip to the waist belt while skinning for quick access. Next, you'd step out of the bindings clip the caribiner and start the boot packing.

1) Do I stack the skis on top of each other with a strap or use two biners?

2) Where does the caribiner clip? Drill a hole in the tips? Attach to the binding?

3) Is all this worth it or is it easier to drop the pack and strap them on the back?

This may be a stupid waste of time but I thought I might see if anyone else has thought of something like this before.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Anyone do a board/ski drag for short, steep pitches?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:28 pm 

The K2 Eldo used to have a hole to do this.

If its firm snow it can work pretty well as long as you are going straight up, not side hilling. If its powder it will most likely accumulate too much snow and be more trouble than its worth.

Only one way to find out though....give er a go! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:36 pm 

Hey that kind of system would actually work well down here in Oz... theres rarely so much powder that the skis would get bound up...
And at the very top of some of our better lines there is a nasty little steep section (I kind of thought about something like a dragging system this spring)...

Plus dropping your pack to strap the board on is suicide in Australia... that short little break will score you a melanoma in a couple of years :D
Seriously though it wouldnt take much more time to strap the board onto your back than it would to hook up the towing system
A long climbing sling pre-attached to your pack is all you need.

ket us know if you try it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:37 pm 

I actually remember that Chris. I may take that approach with careful, steady hands.

I'll keep you guys posted and will of course provide photos if there is need for them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:35 pm 

It is easy enough to drill two 3/8" holes on each tip in 3/4" of an inch from the tips. I have done this with my solid boards for years to have as an emergency evacuation sled (never have yet; Knock Wood!) and to pull extra equipment for an extended trip when shoeing in (nevermore, got a split). It can clip to your pack/tip holes with four garbage (non-climbing) carabiners and 8mm rope.

Take into consideration the tip clips when drilling on a split board and the "swing" you'll get when pulling on the tips, you need to have it centered correctly so the two ski's are not squirreling around behind you. Once the holes are drilled make sure you seal the bore edges with a good epoxy.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:46 am 

Don't know how comfortable you are with board modifications but here's what I've been thinking about.
Notch the interiior edge of the tips so that when you clip your skins on the board can still be put into board mode. It will sled much better as a single wide unit than two narrow units. Once you've got that Clydesdaleclass71's hole drilling method gets you the rest of the way there. I was thinking two very thin (like shoe lace) ropes ~10' knoted on one end. When you go to put in in sled mode run the unknotted end of each rope through it's repsective hole and clip each rope w/carabeaner to the corrisponding hip. This should make the sled very stable. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 am 

Rather then going ahead and drilling holes into your deck, why don't you just tie a clove hitch in some cord and try dragging that stuff aroudn first?

If you're carrying cord to use for towing it - seems much simpler then drilling holes, bringing biners just for this purpose. Clove hitch it up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm 

I towed my eldo a few times, there's definitely some pros but even more cons. The rope hole in the eldo had a metal grommet set under the topsheet and ptex.
If there's much fresh snow at all, especially heavy spring mank or deep powder, the extra drag on the pack or waist belt isn't worth saving the effort to take the pack off. especially with the added drag of skins.
When it gets steep (40+ degrees) better to have the weight secured on your back.
In split mode, the individual skis will flip over and/or bang around. You'll have to clip them together into a unit. Might be OK for short steep(er) sections you can't skin up. The futz factor of clipping the board together and dragging it won't save any time if your pack has a quick easy attachment system. Loved my old burton bc pack for that.
:twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm 

Over the past couple of years I've been using a sling style webbing loop to put my board either solid or as ski's on my back w/o dropping the pack. It's a snare loop on one end and biner and slide buckle on the other end. Small enough to fit in a side pocket or hip belt pocket for easy access.

At my local ski hill BB we have a couple of short hikes to access ridge terrain. Steep in parts and is a part of most of my in bound runs so dropping the pack each time is to much.

I snare the board between the bindings (hard plates, could be done with soft set up too) then put the board over head, (tip up and bindings toward pack) the rest of the sling now hanging over my shoulder and reach down with one hand and loop the end through the heel bail and cinch up to the buckle to make snug. Not good for long treks but for a quick hike perfect, hands free, quick on and off. :headbang: