Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior Backcountry split 154 or 158
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:34 pm 

Hello everyone I could use some advice on sizing for a splitboard. I am looking at buying the Prior BC split but im not sure whether to go with the 154 or the 158, i generally use a 154 for everything, Im about 5'7" and about 130lbs. I used to ride longer boards but i find they tend to buck me around a bit, especially if i get on any kind of hardpack, and i have never had any problems with flotation with the 154 except in the heaviest, natiest west coast conditions, I want a splitboard i can do overnighters with as well as rip trees and pillow lines, im leaning towards the 154 but does anyone think i will have trouble with flotation or stability while skinning.....hope someone has some insight....thanks so much

Post subject: Re: Prior Backcountry split 154 or 158
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:52 pm 

Just remember with a splitboard you'll likely have a pack and you need to factor that in. If I were you i'd get the 157.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:46 pm 

hey roast,

you may want to check out the topic/discussion i posted: Female rider - What board length do I choose?

Sounds like we have a few similarities in riding gear and styles. I ride a 155 inbounds. Haven't been able to demo the Prior boards yet up in Whistler as the backcountry is still closed. I'm debating between the 158 and 161.

My thoughts are going for the 158 as I'm afraid the 161 will be too long and too wide. I'd be riding anything from crust, to pow, to heavy west coast snow... day trips to 4-day tours. My discussion with most people.. don't stray too far from your freeride board. i only freeride now and the 155 does me well on groomers and in shin-knee deep pow.. to dramatically increase the length would probably generate more problems and downsides than upsides.

its nice to have extra length for super deep pow.. but in reality..how often do you get those conditions? whatever you decide.. i think minimum length should be what you're already riding.. not any less. hope this bit of advice helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:19 pm 

Hey there,
I am quite petite and have been riding a 157 split for around 7 years....I would vouch for a 157 knowing that you are taller than me over the 154. I am currently in the market for a new split as well and I am most likely going to go with another 156/157. I think taking into consideration of having a pack on isnt such a bad thought either.