Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tahoe 08/09
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 pm 

Not looking good right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm 

No, not looking particularly good at the moment, though it has been snowing/sleeting at lake level. But the forecast is looking promising.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:20 pm 

Just thought I would let people know that stuff above around 8.5k is rather sweet currently in Tahoe. Rode Mt. Rose/ Galena bowls along with everyone else on the forum who was in north tahoe on Saturday, think I spotted at least 5 other splitboarders. The most I have ever seen in one place without Tex being around. It was a little heavy in spots but nice powder around 18"-24". But by the late afternoon it was starting to look like a resort with some moguls starting to form.

Rode Jakes today and the top 1k was sweet! Although a fare amount of sluff on steep faces and chutes.

For the bottom 1k of the exit you wanted to be on belay with crampons. :cry:

Scruffy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:28 pm 

Sweet - thanks for the update! I'm gonna hit CP on Tuesday if you're interested. No Tex, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 pm 

Was that you I saw on the top of Jake's Scruffy, with the herding dog? I concur with the snow info, though I didn't find the bottom to be quite that bad. Stay high and it's good. :doobie:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:59 am 

That was I.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:08 pm 

I rode Jakes Sunday morning early and it was o.k. (like scruffy said, I wish I had my split crampons for first 1k) Nice and deep on top but quickly got funky, thin and heavy down low. But today I rode alpine and they seem to have gotten more snow since then or just more overall. There was close to a foot on top of Jakes yesterday morning, but this morning Alpine had and easy two feet on top. It also dried out and and was very light and fluffy. Pretty epic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm 

Right on Scruffy, at least now I know what you look like. I wasn't really too into talking up top because the transition froze me pretty good. And BG, Alpine was most definitely off the hook today! Looks like a few good days for splitting if the east wind doesn't blow out too much of the pow, and this next high pressure setup doesn't look to be lasting too long. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 pm 

Up is where the good is, rode Rose area on Sat. and it was just fine all the way down to 8500', still plenty dry to do drops and not get ejected over the handlebars. Was riding a ridge line down and kept setting off small wind slabs, sounds like that was pretty common up there but I think everything has solidified a little since then.

Want to get out this Friday, PM me if you have any grand plans and need a partner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm 

Rode Tallac this morning (27th). Not as deep as Alpine Meadows but still good. Scruffy, I saw you drive by as I was gearing up. Did you do Tallac too? Took my mr. chomps which saved my ass. Top of bowl off peak is still bony and I don't think the cross is going yet. I didn't go to actually peak and look in. I topped out to the lookers right of bowl.

Omg!Omg!Omg!

Mmmmm, that was nice :)

The Cross slid big and was a bummer cuz this is my favorite part of the run and it was frozen death boulders:

Some slides and tracks on south side of cross:

forgot my t.p.!!! :x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 pm 

BG,

Saw you as I drove by would have stopped but was late for a Storn date on Carson Pass. We (SanFrantastico, mtnman, myself) road Elephants Back with a afternoon guest appearance by liketoride. We were going to check out other things in CP but it was too nice and no one else seemed interested in the area. Not sure where everyone else at the Sno-Park went.

Wind was definitely a factor on the faces and with some stability. Started nucking in the afternoon not sure what that will do to everything down there.

Storn in the Snow and Sun

Transitions

The Crescent where we thought everyone was going but did not see any signs of life on it all day.

Scruff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 pm 

Up is still where the good is, rode Rose area this morning, a little heavier on E face but anything in the shade was $$.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 pm 

Desolation 1/29-2/1

Still great pow on north facing slopes. Some wind damage in higher treeless areas (ie. upper Ralston). Minor roller ball activity on south facing slopes. As SAC has noted, there is some Surface Hoar growth out there.

Impressive t-shirt pow turns with an overnight pack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next