Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Prior bases

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior bases
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 pm 

From all the reviews I have read on the forum I would like to get a Prior Khyber split. However one concern I have is that I've heard that prior bases are quite easy to damage in comparison to other brands.

Can anybody who owns prior boards either confirm or deny this for me.

I tend to break stuff pretty readily with all the trees and shutes that I tend to hit up.

I would appreciate some help :rock:

Post subject: Re: Prior bases
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 am 

they're not that bad. I've hammered a lot of rocks this winter and the bace is holding up pretty well. a bit softer then some for sure. but, knock on wood, no core shots this year. one small one from early last winter. minor.

thier top sheets are shit. very brittle. come off in chunks. the only thing that making me lean towards a Venture for my next ride.

the Khyber is a wicked board though. I've ridden it through all sorts of conditions. your not going to be pinning it through hard pack and ice, but out side that, it rails.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:46 pm 

Large Format wrote:
they're not that bad. I've hammered a lot of rocks this winter and the bace is holding up pretty well. a bit softer then some for sure. but, knock on wood, no core shots this year. one small one from early last winter. minor.

thier top sheets are shit. very brittle. come off in chunks. the only thing that making me lean towards a Venture for my next ride.

^^^X2

I thumped my Spearhead pretty good this weekend and came away with only scratches, but it was towards the center of the board and scraped right over one of the hook screws. Not sure how it would have taken it if it had been towards the edge.

Topsheet is gettign pretty tore up at the tail from kick-turns in skin mode when I occasionally get one ski under the other. Part sloppy technique, part shoddy topsheet as my NS shows no similar issues after way more use.

UB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm 

I'm pretty sure the base material for all brands is sourced from one or two companies, with a handful of different grades. The main differences are extruded bases (melted together, not very porous, require less maintenance, slower) and sintered (pressed together, more porous, faster, needs more frequent waxing). Some sintered bases may contain graphite or other materials for added glide, but I think durability should be about the same across the board, with luck being a big factor. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I've hit rocks so hard they sent me tumbling, while doing no damage, and other times have gotten core shots without even knowing I hit anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:48 am 

The base on my Khyber 165 split (bought new 7/08) is as good as any.

I have taken rail shots and core shots on other non-split boards, and the Khyber takes them like a champ. I do routine maintenance (wax and edges) on everything, so they all last a while, most times.

I did notice the flex of the Khyber ripping through a nice gully yesterday. The front end felt like it was near vertical, and I got tossed way into the back seat but, rode it out on a full speed 40* gully descent, after pulling an air in a natural half pipe.

Glad nobody saw it, but pretty fun.

Aside from finding rocks, like anyone does, Prior bases are top notch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:05 pm 

Quote:

x3!!!

They're lovely when new. That lasts about 10 minutes. I think mine must have started chipping on the way to the car.