Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Female rider - What board length do I choose?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:46 am 

I am 170 lbs and ride a 168. Even with a full pack I wouldn't mind going down to a 162. I ride a Burton S . Probably the closest thing you will find to the ride of your feel good. You sound a lot like me as far as what you like. I like a bit more flex than most because as BCR said I like a more "buttery" feel of a board rather than something I have to ride more aggressively ( knees always bent perfectly , always edge to edge with no slack time or forgiveness)
I cant believe Prior wont demo you a board. I would walk in with my money, be it cash or credit card and tell the manager I came to buy a splitboard. I would give them my money up front and then say I want to try a few models before I carry mine home. If they wont do that I wouldn't buy a prior. I mean I got to test ride my surfboard, I got to test drive my boat ( guy had to drive it to the water, put it in, take it out, wash it etc. ) Hell they even let you test drive a corvette if you show you can afford one ( not that I can , but they do)

And also, dont forget about Monk here on the board. He can split any board you send him with metal edges all around. I just saw Wavy Davy's Arbor that Monk split and It is one of the best splits I have seen.
And of course there is Always the Mojo. I know Buffy rides both the prior and the mojo so I would ask her what she thinks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:41 am 

Well I finally managed to rent a Prior Backcountry 158 this weekend thanks to Whistler Alpine Guides Bureau (located in Whistler Village). Avy conditions were spectacular and we had bluebird skies the entire time. Didn't have to travel too far to get fresh tracks. We had a lot of solid runs on Cowboy Ridge and Musical bumps area.

The board was roughly 3-4 seasons old. Ride bindings have seen their share of wear/tear. Thoughts on the 158. SOLID!!! This board performed super well. fast and float! took some getting used to the skins and transitioning ride/tour mode. but after one day i had everything dialed in (except for skinning up steep hills. still working on technique for those..)

as for riding inbounds. surprisingly held a great edge on hard packed (slightly icy) conditions. i honestly rode faster and felt more stable compared to my regular resort board. didn't notice a significant difference with the bindings set up on the voile plates.

i did notice a very slight gap when in ride mode. not sure if this was due to not aligning the hardware and two pieces together perfectly. is it natural to have a barely-there gap at times? i only noticed this on the front end of the board. i think it may just be a matter of replacing the hooks and tip clips. no issues while riding (ie. no edges were catching)

i was so stoked by the end of the day and knew that the 158 BC was the board for me. i offered to buy the setup right there on the spot at the end of the day. maybe by the end of the season.. he still needs to rent it out! in the meantime.. still looking to buy my first splitboard.. the Backcountry 158.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 am 

Female rider here (good to from other female splitters!!).

I agree largely with what some folks are saying about going 5 cm longer in the backcountry. I ride a Voile Mojo 154 its an oldie but goodie... However I could not imagine going 10cm up in size... Ugh on the uphill!
With the Spark R & D bindings. I could not ask for a better set up the waist is slim (not too heavy)and the board is fairly stiff. My opinion-The spark bindings make all the difference as I do not have to sit high off the board when going down hill.
Good luck on your search for the right setup its a lil challenging for smaller women! If you ever make it to Co, we have to ride together.
Peace,
Mist