Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard Boot Fitting & Garmont vs Scarpa
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:08 pm 

I started using hard boots on my split 2 years ago with my Scarpa T2's. However problems with the duck bill while skinning up and overhang on the way down I've decided to go for a pair dynafit boots that can give me versatillity if I want to ski on them. However 75% of the time I'll be on my split.

Firstly a general fit question. Most ski shops are looking to put you into a boot that you would ski on. I don't think I need that level of security and fit on a hard boot I'm going to be using with my split. Most ski shops want to put me into a 27 shell which is very snug (with the liner). They say when you thermally mold the inner than I will get a lot more room and it wont have the same pressure points. However my T2's are a 28 shell but with the thicker liner to make it fit a US 10.5. These have been the best boots I've ever owned both for skiing and comfort level for splitting. I know most of the ski shops will say the 28 shell is too big and that the liner will eventually compact out so that I am too sloppy in the boot. I don't think a tight fit matters as much for spllit boarding as comfort level. What do you think?

Yesterday I went out to try on some boots thinking that I was certainly going to be getting a pair of Garmont Mega Lites. No shops had those on to try so I tried the Mega Rides. I found the Mega Rides to be surprisingly narrow. Will the Mega Lites have the same fit as the Mega Rides?

I tried on a pair of Scarpa F3's and a pair of F1's. Both fit well as far as width go and seem to be significantly wider than the Garmont. I found the F1's to be super light but I am concerned about the support I'll get for heel side turns from the low back. The F3's looked like a better boot for splitting. Again the F3's were amazingly light and looked supportive enough. Does anybody have any input on what the F3's are like for a splitting boot?

Thanks

Steve

Post subject: Re: Hard Boot Fitting & Garmont vs Scarpa
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:30 pm 

Standard shell test goes like this: pull out the liner and put your foot in the shell. Scoot foot forward so toes touch the end of the boot. Two fingers between shell and heel=good to go, three is too loose. Mold liners with a toe cap over your sock for some wiggle room for your toes=warm toes and ideal fit. Wierd feet will require some expert boot punching/grinding or other aids to get to where you want. If you mold loose boots and they pack out, you will have wicked heel lift, especially if you are aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 pm 

So you think the 1/2 sizes that scarpa offer are a gimmick? Essentially it is a larger shell but with a fatter liner. Do you think it will pack out more than the regular liner?

I've called all around and I can't find a pair of Scarpa F3's locally to buy or even try. Therefore I'm probably going to have to order online. With an online order it's going to be risky due to the fit issues and getting the moldable liner molded correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm 

not a gimmick so much as, if you find the right shell size, you could make either the size or the half size work. The different liner sizes are nice if, by some odd chance, the boot fits you perfectly right away, then you don't need to cook them. Yay!

Shep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 am 

I have Scarpa Spirit 3's,they're sized for skiing, are warm, comfortable, super responsive and give me a much surfier feel in powder than any soft boot/binding set up ever.
The only change I made was to remove the power strap. I have thick calves and it was really uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 pm 

Two things, first, the half size thing is typically the same shell with a different liner, 26/26.5 use the same shell, so on and so forth. Second, I just downsized my SB series boots from 27 to 26. After molding the Thermo liners I have essentially the same-ish fit in a smaller overall length shell. I had these molded a bit tighter than the last ones I did 'cause these are for resort riding, no skinning/climbing. Smaller length shell can mean either less angle needed to eliminate boot-out, or less angles needed on a narrower board, whichever is your desired target.
Oh yeah, if you are near REI they typically can do your liners for you, call 'em first. Some small board shops will have an oven, too, just make sure you are dealing with someone who has some experience, it'll go a lot better that way.