Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scarpa Spirit 3's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:56 pm 

Just picked up a barely used pair of Spirts 3 for dirt cheap. I've seen them mentioned in a few of the hardbootin' posts, but didn't find anyone talk about actually riding them. Any one out there used these boots, and how do they rate? I've been riding some ancient Dachsteins that I love the feel of, but they have finally discintegrated, so this was a good opportunity.

Post subject: Re: Scarpa Spirit 3's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm 

You are stoked! Good choice. I picked up a pair of Spirit 3's about half way through last season. I had an old pair of Lasers that exploded on me. I'm glad they did!

The Spirit's are lighter, laterally stiffer and more flexible in walk mode for better surfing. In ski mode I was really able to drive some hard heelside turns on the steeps! The Intuition liners are the warmest I have ever worn. Warmer than my "32" soft boot liners by a long shot. Way warmer than my old Scarpa liners!!!! I wish I had them last December when our warmest day was -8F.

What bindings are you running?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:30 am 

Mtn. Plates. Haven't gotten to ride the setup yet, but I think it'll all just scream on my new mojo. Now if it'll only effing snow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 pm 

powpowhunter wrote:
Mtn. Plates. Haven't gotten to ride the setup yet, but I think it'll all just scream on my new mojo. Now if it'll only effing snow.

Scream it will! :thumpsup: Slash, surf and climb like nothing else.
Snow :scratch: I remember that stuff, white, fluffy, cold, right? This is going from the summer that will never end to the fall that won't leave. :nononno: :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:19 pm 

Quote:
Scream it will! :thumpsup: Slash, surf and climb like nothing else.

Right you were. Put in a Day at A-Basin dialing in my stance with the new boots, but after that day decided that they definitely needed to be cooked. Got awesome help and a free boot fit from Bent Gate in Golden CO. (who I bought my board from, great store!). Rode around Loveland and Vail passes the next two days with no problems- this new setup takes it all- rides great in the pow and absolutely rails on the hardpack. Too much fun!
Just one issue, the yellow plastic that comes across the ankle right under the middle strap kind of pinches down on me right on top of my inside ankle bones... do you get pressure there? I think I might have to find somebody to punch some plastic there for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:55 pm 

powpowhunter wrote:
Just one issue, the yellow plastic that comes across the ankle right under the middle strap kind of pinches down on me right on top of my inside ankle bones... do you get pressure there? I think I might have to find somebody to punch some plastic there for me.

I did have that problem at first. I kept messing around with buckle tension and solved it. I cranked down the lower buckle until pretty much flattened the plastic on top of my foot, then cranked the ankle strap down real tight. I'd say give that a try before doing anything structural to the shell. Mess around with cant adjustment also.I leave the top strap loose all the time. I removed the power strap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:14 pm 

Finally got the buckle tension right, and am so stoked on these boots now. The trick for me was to leave the ankle strap fairly loose. Just enough tension so my heel won't lift. I crank down on the toe, and leave the tops loose, and my feet are completely comfortable skinning and riding. In crappy snow I just crank down the ankle strap and the boot stiffens up considerably. Pop it into ski mode and icy deathtrack out runs aren't even a big deal skiing the split. Took me a little while, but I now dig on this boot and would recommend it to anyone looking for a lightweight hardboot with a wide range of flex.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:20 pm 

Nice! Congrats!