Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Up"-country on Mt. Hood Jan.10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:55 pm 

Took my friend Eric out on the loaner board. Skinned up above the running lifts at Timberline lodge. Once we emptied the old gym socks and crumpled up algebra homework out of his pack, we threw in the skins and some poles and headed out. I knew the forecast was for wind, but you never know how much until you get up there.
(Checked the telemetry the next day, average hourly winds @ 7,000 ft 40 plus, with peak gusts of 53, 58, and ... yes 65 mph. Fortunately the snowstorm existed only within 4 - 6 ft of the ground. Visibility was good enough to navigate from soft sand-snow puddles to carve-able wind formations while avoiding the areas of exposed "knuckle"-plate. Good views to the south of Mt. Jefferson and the Sisters. Lower down we found the "sand" piling up among the ice dunes. Made for some fun toe-side wave turns across the fall line. Eric completed the ski/board transition twice in very unpleasant conditions, so I give him credit for soldiering on. :clap: (Although one skin was flapping loose by the end of the second ascent.)

No action shots (my camera was like a wind magnet every time I took it out) so I had to go for the "atomic blast" contrast/brightness for the ... you know , the DRAMA.

Post subject: Re: "Up"-country on Mt. Hood Jan.10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 pm 

Cool - glad you were able to get out and kudos for teaching your friend how to split :thatrocks:

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 pm 

Are those Switch bindings on the board on the left?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 am 

bigdood wrote:
Are those Switch bindings on the board on the left?

"From my cold, dead feet...." - Charlton "Snowdaddy" Heston

Yes, I am still rockin' my switch set-up, at least for BC. My solid board has straps.
As the market faltered and production stopped, I gathered a small collection of boots and bindings that should last me a while. I used them for ski patrolling/training without a hitch, and I like the easy out -walk ten steps - easy in. Plus I can release the internal highback and completely release the arch strap without compromising board/boot security, nice for the climb.
Did I mention the plate pins are completely visible and easy to work?
I know, I know... I need to move on, but it's a process... I'm just not ready to let go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:20 am 

Hey, whatever works for ya works for ya, I just hadn't seen those in a long while! We were talking the other day on the chairlift about Flytraps, anybody remember those?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:30 pm 

Good stuff! I've changed over once up on Palmer in conditions like that and it's nasty! Hats off! I'm heading up this saturday and I hope it isn't that bad...