Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:44 am 

Mofoco - just drop Burton a line Their Customer Service is excellent in Europe (I know of one person having the original interface replaced for no charge) - maybe it's the same in the US.

Post subject: burton board -kill interface -check on volie system
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:41 pm 

hallo

this is the best what you can do .

burton one of the best boards ( 166 red dubbel eagel )

and volie splitkit.....

last time i build this combination for a bc raider from austria , it s works
nice all the time.

burton .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:05 pm 

Well if you put in more than 10 days on the burton the double pin system (in split mode) starts to wear, and the result is tons of lateral movement. Movement that makes me cringe when i'm out in the BC, because the binding has popped out, and if it breaks.......
I have dreamed about creating a hybrid, because i do like how the burton rides in board mode, So I want to keep the burton system in board mode, and use a pin system in split mode. I have had some pins turned up, because voile pins are 1/4" and burton are slightly smaller in diameter, and the pin itself needs to be longer. But i have not assembled it yet (for several reasons), but i plan on doing so soon!
scon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:18 am 

Well, I have used this year's S-series during the whole year, and apart from having to scape the snow off the board a bit when turning it to board mode, it worked like a charm. No lateral play at all. And throughout the season i've done approximately 20000 meters (altitude change) uphill in 16 outings. The burton rides exactly like a solid board... even better than most solid boards, and except for it being a tiny bit too heavy, it is pure pleasure on the way down on any type of conditions, even in the resort.
I must point out one flaw though: the skins are way too narrow for the board. This makes it quite difficult to use in ski mode at first when going across a wide and steep and icy slope. But when you get used to it, you bend the ankle a little to make the skin touch the snow and you don't even have to stick out the knives before the skiers do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 pm 

I have a 04 Split-170.

I find that the board rides really well. Its a solid ride and torsional stiffness is surprisginly good for a split. It even rides well out here on the east coast within the resorts, and we don't see a lot of powder on the pistes so that's saying a lot. It tracks well, and carves well even on icy east coast runs. I find it a very stable ride. But I would not call it nimble.

I have experienced the snow buildup when going from skin to snowboard mode, but I attributed that to my newness to the concept of breaking it down and re-0assembling. I just assumed I was doing something wrong.

The problem I find is that the length is too long. as soon as I leave the resort and hit the trees in VT or NY, its a real beast to turn in a pinch.

In fact, saying all the above. I'd probably keep mine if it was 5-10 cm shorter... I just made a bad decision on length.

Post subject: 2 cents
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:53 pm 

I've got the Split '66 (Red and Yellow) that I bought off eBay with Voile Tractor skins and cliker set-up. Used for 3 seasons, less than 20 tours, mostly up in Tahoe up Tallac, Rubicon, etc. I have never broken trail with these.

Partial Cons:
At 5'9", 165-70, and Clicker Remote boots (don't know their weight but kind of burly) and the normal things carried on a day-trip, my only problem is the length/weight. Even in step Rubicon, where the snow stays light due to the tree cover, I use the full extent of the supposedly wide Burton nose to keep from flipping over. Like surfing a long board on take off, you have to keep an eye out. I don't have much on my back either. Not too bad, but I can't really imagine an overnighter pack on my back.

Yes, it takes me while to transition, but the tool they provide works great and if it's sunny i just face them in the sun while eating, and it's all clean. I haven't done the silicon spray yet, but will watch out for the "rotating disk" problem while doing it this season.

I did break the plastic attachments (the black ones) to the pry/lever bar that keeps the board oh so tight, but replaced with climbing string and waited for Dave's in Tahoe City to get replacements. I could tuck the string under my boot and keep the lever bar and thus string outside while skinning just in case. Finally, the Burton rep gave Dave's brand new plates (the whole non-board things except for the donut to keep the same binding position) and Dave's (great board guys) saved the plates for 10 months until I picked them up. Now they have red ones (or is it the other way around???) that I baby, but not terribly. Always carry string.

And you're going in the backcountry, so always check your gear, connections, interfaces, wear (with a beer, ski bunny, etc. in hand). Non-checking gear creates bad habits anathema to self-rescue activities.

I skin up, cautious of movements that would counter what looks like the soft set-up, but that brings me to my

Pros:
The board is NOT a chopped board, but a Custom starting point that is reinforced. The plate system that gets so much grief makes the board handle like a one piece, and stiff one at that, so while I don't find too many tight dicey conditions on hard snow (i'm a fair weather guy and will learn Tele with my wife at the resorts if BC isn't good; I'm cursed as I hate boarding at resorts now), I love the ride, and my AT friend (Julian W. if BCRider is reading), is always amazed at how fast I go through the trees, even while I feel in total control, turning at will even in thick cover.

Bottom line: I don't really feel that any split board is good for more than up and downs in one day, unless your overnight is either flat or up to get to a base camp. I feel that the companies should perfect the approach ski, or the collapsing skinner (put Zig-Zag approach ski in Google) would be better options safety wise and a lot of up down. You even eliminate the skin part of the transistion time. But if something gets weird condition-wise, I want the best board to get me down, rather than save time in transistion. I trust the Burton for that no prob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:39 pm 

[insert picture of monkey getting back up on your back] :D

I find that for overnighters, the splitboard IS the best option. I hate putting my board on a full overnight pack with snowshoes. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:43 am 

sconartist wrote:
Well if you put in more than 10 days on the burton the double pin system (in split mode) starts to wear, and the result is tons of lateral movement. Movement that makes me cringe when i'm out in the BC, because the binding has popped out, and if it breaks.......

Anyone have a DIY fix for this? Obviously the voile system is the future, for now at least, but there are three burton splits in my house that I am not ready to drill for the voile interface, yet.

All the other issues with burtons, though a pain, I have found fixes for, but I haven't figured out how to tighten up the interface slop once it sets in.

Post subject: I'm in the same boat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:49 am 

I'm right there with ya, everything runs fine on my Burton. Couldn't be happier except the increasing amount of slop in the pins on skinning mode. I also get a bit worried about a major malfunction 5 miles in the Backcountry in a white-out. Longer pins? Let's brainstorm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 pm 

If you can pop out the litle pins and the pins have a "built in" washer/stopper type thing on it, you can add a small washer behind it and re-insert the pin. I did that and it seemed to help and the pin stayed in place.

Post subject: Re: 2 cents
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:38 pm 

onda wrote:
Bottom line: I don't really feel that any split board is good for more than up and downs in one day, unless your overnight is either flat or up to get to a base camp. I feel that the companies should perfect the approach ski, or the collapsing skinner (put Zig-Zag approach ski in Google) would be better options safety wise and a lot of up down.

I don't think I'm quite following you here...this seems like backward thinking to me. You'd prefer to CARRY more stuff? :lol:

As far as that Zig Zag thing...c'mon dude? There is a reason that click in bindings that hold on the side were the worst of all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:22 pm 

yo jgag & pwdrjunkie,

Thanks for the response i was half thinking nobody else experience this.

I used a littly epoxy to fix the pins from moving. I pushed them out just a tad to make them longer and epoxied them in place and that works fine, but the slop now seems to come from the interface itself. That is what is baffling me.

Did you notice the slop being only associated with the pins loosening and moving or also with the interface iteslf?

Post subject: Re: 2 cents
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:10 pm 

mtnrider wrote:
onda wrote:
Bottom line: I don't really feel that any split board is good for more than up and downs in one day, unless your overnight is either flat or up to get to a base camp. I feel that the companies should perfect the approach ski, or the collapsing skinner (put Zig-Zag approach ski in Google) would be better options safety wise and a lot of up down.

I don't think I'm quite following you here...this seems like backward thinking to me. You'd prefer to CARRY more stuff? :lol:

As far as that Zig Zag thing...c'mon dude? There is a reason that click in bindings that hold on the side were the worst of all!

Hey, we're in the early days of backcountry snowboarding, so maybe i do say carry more items. On multi-day trips you can get every type of snow condition, so I want 1) a bomber interface so nothing breaks out there and 2) the best board possible to take every situation. Transition time and weight come next.

Neither Voile (board flimsy) and Burton (bad interface) does 1) and 2) equally, so here we are. Yes, one of them improves their deficiency, and we have a winner.

But all the failure points, multitasking and hardware (read weight) to make two boards act like one and then to also do the vastly double duty of a tele binding and snowboard binding might transfer into a 1) lighter all-mountain board that goes/does everywhere/everything 2) light, floaty, constant skinned, bomber, packable ski.

Granted, i use clicker so the weight and transition for the above system would be further minimized.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next