Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tennesee Pass, CO; Sapwanero Couloir
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:27 pm 

Last year, 08, early January we scored this beauty, which may be of interest for CO. folks this season, with the new snow and all, as this thing could be good to go soon.

Obvious line in middle of photo, entry from the top is more technical than it seems, finding the entrance requires some serious route finding, and its steep, but you can skin to the top from the road. In the photo where the line turns and chokes is a mandatory rap, about 40-50 ft. of vert. water ice. A solid old growth tree provides a perfect anchor.

entry zone up top, really nice pillows, drops, and steep turns in here; n. facing and protected.

turns in excellent snow about 1/2 way down, approaching water ice.

rapping through the crux.

section after the rappel. although the timing was off on this photo, this little nub is a nice hit, I was able to send it 15-20ft. off that little guy, land and then get prepped for the next section of water ice, coming up towards the bottom of the photo.

its about a 10 fter, fun as hell

ok, enjoy and keep shreddin wildnar

Post subject: Re: Tennesee Pass, CO; Sapwanero Couloir
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:10 pm 

That looks so freakin rad.

who needs a terrain park with a run with a bunch of hits like that on it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:16 am 

thanx for scoping it dude, any hitz like that down under?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:57 am 

Simply Epic!!! :bananas:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:56 am 

more inspiration from snowsavage. thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 pm 

I believe the correct name is the Bolts Lake Couloir. Also, its closer to Minturn than Tennessee Pass... Jaime and his weird names!

Here's my TR from our trip last year: 3/9/08
"After an invitation to be filmed on a descent of the Lambs Slide, I decided against it at the wakeup call of 1:45 am, due to a somewhat stiff and swollen knee, among a few reasons. I got some much needed rest, and cruised out to the Bolts Lake Couloir, an object of my desire for many years. It is low elevation, and probably skiable on average years, but this year it would really shine. I scoped it some with the binocs, and it looked the the ice flows would require a long rappel from where the tree anchor was, damn. I decided to give it a go anyway, I could always make a bollard if needed and rappel with my 50m cord. Option 2, downclimb, or 3, climb back up. I got to the top, harnessed up, and decided to get my crampons to the top of my pack for easy access, and damn, they were not there. They sat back in boulder. I aborted mission with a level head, and skied fast, steep, and crunchy open slopes down the rib to the truck.

Day 2, I recruited Jamie and Cody to complete the mission. It was a beautiful day, and views of the northern Sawatch were insane, Holy Cross, Notch Mountain, Mount Jackson, among a few. It felt like Utah in the couloir, and the snow was incredible, settled powder. We made one long double rope rappel from a monster tree. I skirted the lower ice flow on the right, Jamie and Cody dropped it with ease. A sick finish to a classic line! (and possible first descent)

We ate lunch in the sun, Cody's Elk summer sausage, and Jamie's Deer Jerky, and headed to frisco to attack another sick low elevation run, Wichita Mtn. Unfortunately I forgot my camera for this, but I didn't want to piss you off too much anyway. Views of the west side of Peak 1 were awe inspiring, and there are many lines to be had there now. We skinned to the E ridge, then climbed a snow covered ridge probably 50+ degrees steep. Rode the line out to this incredible sunset. A sick day with some cool cats, on low elevation road hit runs"

Enjoy the Land of the Rising Sun, dude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:17 pm 

Damn, I know where that it is. Pretty f'n Burly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm 

Does that line end up at the second switch back on the road out of minturn? And is it approached via the "Pipeline"? From the Gillman side?