Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Venture Divide
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:34 pm 

Douglas Mafia wrote:
one thing i will say is lisa at venture (their marketing person, i believe) has always prompty responded to my emails. that's how i was originally told the different dates that the board never showed up. :roll:

now if i could just get them to email me my damn board, it's cold, clear, perfect treking weather, i've been post holing everywhere today... :scratch:

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:04 am 

Sorry to hear that Mafia, hang in there, it is surely on the way.

I just received my 181 wide before leaving for vacation.
I must say that Venture shipped it quickly when I decided to pull the trigger.
In fact the only problem is that I received the board from Venture while my Voile interface & skins were still in the mail. Thankfully, some friends where I spend most of my days riding in winter lent me theirs. The skins are a bit short which means I lack a bit of traction on steeper pitches when hiking, but not gonna complain, at least I was able to test it out.

I am still pissed at Venture, but I have to be fair and admit that the board rides awsome even on slopes. I tweak it like a feather, no problem from edge to edge despite the 28 waist. In powder it is a little floaty dream that handles like no other board. I am not sure if it is because my usual board is a 187, but this one is just too easy... I have always been looking for a fat waist on a big gun, and Venture seems to be the only one to make it which is why I stuck with them when ordering despite all the f@ck-ups. I am glad I did.

I took it out for an easy ride out. We just had 100+ cm of freshies with howling winds over the past few days, so I went for low angle relaxing ride mostly in trees for safety reasons.

Pics here:

http://www.truitefario.com/20081229/thumb.html

Hope everybody enjoys their NY vaca, and I have my fingers crossed for you Mafia.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:15 pm 

sick pics man, thanks for sharing those. i'm getting dressed to go hike to some big open powder bowls at this very moment. i'm really hoping when i get home that my board has arrived.

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:47 pm 

First, I want to apologize to Mafia and SerreChe for coming up short with their Divides this season. We really pride ourselves on taking good care of our customers and producing a superior board, so you are not wrong in thinking you deserve better.

I am in charge of production at Venture, so the delayed shipments and dimpled topsheets are 100% my responsibility. We had a really challenging production season, and late shipments of our raw materials created a domino effect which caused us to be behind schedule from the very beginning. All spring and summer we just couldn’t get caught up, in spite of the fact that we had a kick ass production crew who busted their butts for months on end to get things done. In the fall when it became clear that we were not going to get everything built and delivered on time, I had to prioritize which boards would be finished first and try to cover as many bases as we could – which meant focusing on boards in the 157 – 165 range before everything else, since these are the most popular sizes. Overall this worked out well and the majority of our dealers got the majority of their boards in a timely fashion. However, you can probably guess which sizes ended up last on the priority list...

Since we had orders for only 5 Divides in the 180 range, these boards were among the last to be pressed. By the time we got to this last batch I was under so much pressure to get them out the door that my focus was not where it should have been. I made a mistake during retooling which resulted in the dimpled topsheets. I was crushed when we discovered the problem: almost at the finish line and then I tripped us up. Trust me, after this experience the expression “haste makes waste” is not lost on me. But at that point our core production was finished and there was no going back. We had only two options: tell our dealers that there would be no 180 Divides this winter or ship the boards as-is. We would have preferred not to ship the boards at all since they didn't live up to our standards, but since our dealers had already pre-sold most of them we decided to offer them at a discount instead. All of this was seriously disappointing to us, and it's definitely not the way we like to do business. Anyway, this is all probably way more than you need to know, but if I were you I’d be curious, so I thought I’d just tell you the whole story.

Mafia, I have missed more than my share of powder days through all of this (while surrounded by snowboards and serious amounts of snow), so I can certainly relate to what you are going through. I’m truly sorry that you are still waiting for your board. It shipped from Silverton on Dec.19th and according to FedEx arrived at Mountain Gear on the 23rd, so at this point it’s out of my control, but maybe MG can get you a tracking number so that you’ll at least know when the torture will be over.

SerreChe, Lisa spends an insane amount of time responding to e-mail, and it’s our policy that every single inquiry gets a response - even half-baked sponsorship requests from 14 year olds. After searching through her email archives we were able to locate her response to you, which went out on [Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:48:51]. My guess is that it was filtered out as spam, so you might check your spam folder to see if it’s in there. Sorry for all the frustration, and I’m glad to hear the board is treating you well in spite of it all.

Thanks for reading, and think snow.

Klem

http://www.facebook.com/venturesnowboards
http://splitboardingistheanswer.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 pm 

Damn Klem. Way to step up and own the problems. I hope it all ends up working out for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:30 pm 

Thanks for chiming in Klem! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 pm 

seriously, way to step up to that one, i appreciate the response, Klem. i still look forward to the board showing up, and i do know that when shipping to alaska sometimes i believe it's more foreign to the rest of the country than an actual foreign country and so we are certainly used to the many variables involved. at this point, i knew it shipped from mountain gear right in the middle of the holiday rush, snowstorms in the pacific northwest and snowstorms here in southeast Alaska. as soon as i get it, i'm going up a few mountains for some sickness and i'll share pics and storys.
thanks again, Klem. :thumpsup:

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 am 

Thanks Klem, wait to step up to the plate, take responsibility and give us the whole story about what happened. All your decision making process is completely rational to me. I understand why you focused on the more popular sizes first, it makes complete sense. I also understand why it was heart-breaking for you to make a mistake on the processing of the topsheet towards the end of production especially given your reputation for quality. It was also heart-breaking for the 5 of us who pre-ordered to have to wait so long to get the board and eventually have to make a decision on the blemished boards. As far as I am concerned, mistakes do happen, it was just bad luck and you did genuinely make some efforts to get things right given an uneasy situation. I am sorry I missed Lisa's email, I am not sure if it was a spam filter thing or something else but the fact that you guys went to the extent of searching back and give me an exact time stamp just shows how seriously you looked into the issue. I guess in my case if I had not missed Lisa's email, having more info as to what was going on would have improved the situation a lot, but once again a bit of bad luck struck.

The good news is that being swamped means you are doing well as a business. I hope your up-stream supply issues with raw materials get sorted out for next season as it will save you and your custies a lot of headaches. The way I look at it, the dimpled 181w of the 08/09 season will be a collector's item going forward, kinda like my old burton board & bindings :wink:

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, closure has been reached. It is a fantastic board and I am glad I stuck with Venture and MG. I have only ridden it once so I am not yet saying it is the best board I have ever owned (I have been snowboarding for 25 years) but it is shaping that way given the original impression. More later on this to follow.

It has dumping again on our side of the world, I'll be looking forward to take it out for another outing tomorrow weather permitting.

So once again fingers crossed for Mafia, looking forward to seeing some pics from you with a smile from ear to ear with your pow gun in hand!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:40 pm 

Good to hear the split finally arrived SC! :clap:

Hows the snow up in Yuzawa?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:48 am 

Hi Tsonda, happy new year. :bananas:

It has been a bit of an adventure getting the board but it came through and I am really excited. I wanna kick myself for having postholed so many years especially since I also do backcountry ski, but these toys are not cheap, so I go one step at a time.

Yuzawa has seen a reversal of what we saw early this year when Hakuba got pounded and we did not get much out here. This week we've had 1m+ at town level and higher elevations got nuked big time. Most lines are now feasible but I will stay clear of the lines that require river/creek crossings for now. 1 or 2 more weeks should be ok.

I have managed to take the split out twice now. Once on a blue bird day, then once again today in a blizzard. They closed the top lift at Kagura not long after I got off it. Winds were absolutely howling. I was on the lift with a patrol guy who told me that winds were 18m/sec and that they would close the lift soon if it hit 20m/sec which they did pretty quickly. So I was almost by myself hiking out there today except for a few locals who turned around quickly given how nasty the winds were. I myself almost got floored a couple of times by the wind. Anyway, it was great practice to transition in adverse conditions with the thick gloves on.

We have a lot more snow on the forecast for the coming week, and we are getting nuked again as I type this, but the wind is not going to go away either which is going to make for sme very tricky conditions in the BC.

I have seen that you have been riding all over the place recently including the US ! Good effort man, this is good stuff, waiting to see some of those sick pics from hokkaido.

Take it easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 am 

Happy new year to you too!

Hokkaido was beyond sick, I will make a TR soon.
I might hit Hakuba again this weekend and probably Yuzawa around the 14th.
Do you still have a job or have plenty of time for splitting now? :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:36 am 

Sounds good, gimme a shout when you come to Yuzawa.
Looking forward for the TR!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:41 pm 

pretty cool to be involved in a sport/industry where the owner of the company comes into a mb and takes the time to respond to customer concerns. Lately, I've been really digging on the world of splitboards for that reason. Cheers, Klem, Lisa, Will, Dave Grissom and the others i forgot to mention or I don't know about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next