Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: At last....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:54 am 

our first big storm for the Wasatch! :clap:

Today's Utah avalanche weather (for our friends in other places)
Quote:
Full conditions today... the National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning that will remain in effect until 5 pm Sunday, with heavy snow and strong northerly winds creating wild winter conditions. Snow totals of a foot or more expected by 5 pm, with lightning and intense precipitation rates of 2 to 4 inches per hour possible around frontal passage. The winds will shift to the northwest this morning, and remain in the 20 to 30 mph range, with gusts to 50 at the 10,000' level. Gusts to 70 mph are possible across the highest peaks. Temperatures will fall throughout the day, into the low teens to single digits by evening. Periods of snow tonight, with storm totals of 16 to 24” by Sunday afternoon, with temperatures near zero. A cold and unsettled pattern, with more snow, will continue through much of next week.

I am going to skin up MC again and practice pit tests, try and educate myself and hopefully stay outta harms way.
Be safe out their and don't let you stoke get the best of you.
Peace

Post subject: Re: At last....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 pm 

nice man- keep us updated....ive never skinned mill creek - but am going to try to get there this year

Post subject: Re: At last....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:57 pm 

I hope everyone stayed safe out today. The snow totals in Millcreek where pretty amazing.
Not having avi gear, etc., I simply went out to get better at skinning and perhaps do some low angle stuff.

Leaving my truck about 5:45, I broke trail all the way up Millcreek from the gate to about half mile from Dog Lake. (4.5 hours!)
There was about two feet of snow overall on the road increasing to as much as 3.5" feet were it had drifted on the Dog Lake trail. It was untouched, heavy powder.
Where the trail splits and heads to Great Western, or back down to Big Water I went east to try and ride back to the trail I'd already broke going up Little Water.

First I dug a rutschblok into about 3.5" depth on a northwest face of about 25/30 degrees.
While it did slide out, the angle wasn't sever enough to do more than just crumple in on its self.
Sort of reminded me of making a gnarly ice snowball, or wringing out a wet towel.

When I tried to ride down it was like concrete. I literally sunk all the way to ground, while being cemented into my track.
Taking this as really bad sign I unstrapped and hiked back up to the trail. Skinned back to where trail drops back to the Big/Little Water parking lot and rode down my track. I was able to get some good fun off the banks and little drops along the way.
Surprisingly, riding without backs on my bindings only had an initial psychological affect. Otherwise it was fine.
I tried to ride as much of the road as possible, but I won't be going this route again. Way to damn long and flat.

After seven+ hours on my feet, I'm cooked. :sleepy:

Observations.
Touring this long is hell on your toes. After breaking trail for hours on end, the slightest downhill smashes the shit out them.
Going without any high/low back on bindings didn't seem to make much difference.
Touring for the sake of touring is probably best left to skis.
Going without skins in tour mode is not for me. I couldn't be a skier if my life depended on it. :wink:
The outer front tips of the Voile (or other board) needs a Kevlar patch, looks like I took a cheese grater to my board. Definitely my next mod.

Peace