Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:10 am 

Whath do you think aboute K2 Cinch for splitboarding?

An extra loop from the lever, put around the highback to hold the highback in an "tiltet back but still up" position for skinning?

Byt old reviews say its a heavy binding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm 

Gunnar,
I have been looking at a variety of bindings for my inbounds setup as I'm moving away from a long time union with burton's step in system. I love the binding system and have riden in five countries with no issues that most have had, but my boots are letting me down of late.

I think that the K2 Cinch is an interesting design and my research has found the first year's effort had a lot of issues. After that they seem to be better, stronger, more reliable and lighter. I have had my boots in a pair a few times and really think the entry is pretty simple with the cam action to both uplift and open the strap area as well as allow the high back to fold back. I got a pair of flows with the carbon highback as a gift, so I'm no longer in the cinch market, but I could be eventually. I so used to not straping in that I'm very interested in a quality binding that is easier for entry/exit.

As for your previous question about bindings with highback adjustments. Most of my burtons have tool free forward lean which can be opened and set with my gloves on (although some of the levers are small for gloved hand use, so I added a short piece of cord with a knot that I can grab and pull). I ride with one guy that uses Bent Metal Missionary bindings (I think that is the version) and his highback has a rectangular forward lean block. This rectangular block is drilled slightly off center allowing that block to be rotated easily into four different positions. Each setting creates a differerent forward lean angle. He twists it to zero for skinning and then quickly back to whichever setting he uses to ride. He does it all gloved up, actually even in his overmits, so this might be and easy adjustment to look into. I'm not sure what Will's use for highback adjustment, mabye they have the same quick and easy forward lean adjustment.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:00 am 

just get rid of them??

check out the new burton nofish...

http://www.snowboard-revolution.com/new ... -2009.html

any thoughts? see main forum.

Post subject: Re: Highback removal?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:16 am 

Hi
I just wana report that i now got the Spark bindings.
I really like the funktion of the Bentmetal forward lean mecanism.
One thing that could be done to make it better for splitboarding, is to make the adjustment range larger, backwards.
I moved the highbacks forward one hole on the insides screws, to allow for them to tilt further back. (that alls twists them inwards a bit. I think that should make them align better to most riders lower legs)
The best would be to make the plastic block larger. I dont ride with so much forward lean, so for me it was enough to drill new holes for the t-nuts above the existing. It was easy to pry the nuts up to the new holes, not harming the neoprene on the highbacks.
Now the higbacks can tilt a few degrees backwards, and should be no issue on the flats.
I can post pictures of the mod if someon like to.

/Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:25 am 

Please do, fellow countryman. 8)

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 pm 

Ok,. here it is.

At first i just moved the insides of the highbacks forward, to make them aligne better to the boots. That increases the space behind the highbacks, so it is possible to angle them more backwards for skinning.

If your not shure your boots are soft enough to alow more backwards movement. Then it can be worth trying a few laps around the house, with the plastic block removed, and see if you can feel any improvement, before you make new holes..

Drilling the new holes was a bit tricky. The best is to have someon to help you hold the board, and the urethane cube when you drill. Its best to punch a mark in the plastic, to avoid the drillbit from wandering on the slipery plastic.

Modification aproved:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:43 am 

Well, the trial of N=1, has been partially completed.

Under rules of ethics, I am compelled to release results prematurely, as the data is so robust.

Keep in mind, the trial continues, and final results will be available...ohh...about May 2012. :wink:

Statistical analysis of my results, confirm 'No Highback' is necessary for utter pleasure, splitting in PNW winter conditions. This has also been supported by ancillary data collected from the gaping maw, of an overjoyed 16 yr old teen, who is generally a ripping snowboarder, in on-piste circumstances! :bow:

Critique of this syudy is welcome. Reproduction of the trial is also welcome. Method is simple, and essentially, self explanatory:
1. Remove highback.
2. Give 'er :rock:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:02 pm 

arild wrote:
Please do, fellow countryman. 8)

OH! i forgot to mention, I'm .....from...... :duel: ...... Sweden :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:31 am 

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Why does it say location "Norway" then? Tricking me. :cry:

Let´s up the rivalry!
deadhorse

Nice modifications, by the way.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 am 

Why location Norway!?
Well.., we are soon gona bring you home, :grouphug: "little brother" :thumpsup:
Starting with Scandinavias best ski resort.............................................. :bananas: Hemsedal :bananas:

Lets :drinks: on that ..... hick...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:21 pm 

Coming from a surfing background, I can relate to the logic behind removing the highback and I have been around long enough to have ridden with lowbacks and sorels, which was far from ideal for me. Here is a link to Ranquet's theory online, http://snowboarding.transworld.net/2008 ... e-ranquet/. I have been thinking about removing the highback off of my Sparks for some time, but we will see ... Am also on the waiting list for no-board set up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:57 am 

Frail

Removing your highbacks is something that has been done before. Mike Ranquist, a pro who rides a lot of AK backcountry rides with no highbacks. Ranquist contends that the added range of motion actually benfits his riding and that highbacks only make heelside less powerful, not more. Think about it, surfers and skaters don't have highbacks so in theory neither should a snowboarder.

One key thing is to make sure that your bindings have an adjustable heel cup that can be moved forward or backward. I tried riding without a high back on a hardpack day last winter with my Burton Cartels, but they do not have an adjustable heel, and the heel of my boot hung too far over the back of the binding (like 4"). I still think the concept can work, I will try it again this season with bindins that do adjust in the heel.

Don't listen to everyone telling you that you're crazy or that highbacks are a "critical piece of equipment." People like that will never push the boundaries of the sport. You don't have anything on your toe edge, it is not critical to have it on your heel edge either. I'm planning on using this minor modification to help me with grabs ad other freestyle maneuvers allowing me to get my board closer to my body.

the main thing is, just give it a shot, if it works for you then sweet, if not, well at least you tried.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 am 

sorry, I wrote the 1st reply before I realized that you'd already tried it. now I can't wait to try it again. my mountain opens on Friday, I I'll be coaching a freestyle team on saturday, I think it'll be a great chance to try this out, I gotta say I'm glad that you just went ahead and tried it, that's what makes you a snowboarder. mad respect, let us know of any new revelations and unorthodox mods