Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BC Partners - North Tahoe - April 2-3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:17 pm 

I'm looking for a partner this weekend. I've got all the gear, including transceiver, but have limited bc experience. If anyone is interested, shoot me an e-mail. I'll be arriving Truckee real early Saturday from Santa Cruz area.

steve.parsoneault@seagate.com

thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:58 am 

i'd love to join - but will be inbounds sunday :? and preparing for our tahoe wedding saturday :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:43 am 

Indoor sports can be fun too - congradulations! Maybe next time. Oaklandish is ontheway for me. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:10 pm 

Steve, Im considering heading up there on Saturday. I'm a splitting newb, but I'm a decent rider.

Any ideas on where you wanna go? Looks like it's gonna be damn warm.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:45 pm 

A fellow SantaCruzin'! Sounds like we're in the same boat. I was thinking Mt. Rose on Saturday. It looks like the wind will be heading in with the comming storm. Hard to tell what Sunday is going to be like but Castle Peak on the way out could be an option. What were you thinking? I know we won't find any boarding here. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:50 pm 

Yep, Santa Cruz is invading. I've been running into more and more SC peoples up there over the last few weeks. Crazy.

I havnt been to Mt Rose yet, but I'd be into checkin it out. Sunday looks like a rainy mess. Im thinkin about doin a daytrip myself, then gettin some chores done on Sunday. What time were you thinkin about getting started on Sat?

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:25 pm 

Chris - A day trip sounds like a good idea. I would like to leave SV 4-5 AM to get a FULL day. I haven't been to Mt. Rose yet either but I've got a GPS! Send me an e-mail with your phone number please. Steve.Parsoneault@seagate.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:15 pm 

Mt.Rose Beta for my splitboarding brethren:

The Mt.Rose area has elevation - where you park is higher than the top of Alpine, Squaw, or Sugar Bowl. There will prolly be pow to be found on Saturday no matter how hot it seems, at least in the north bowls, chutes, and trees.

Get an early start to get the best trackless snow, as it's a popular place these days.

Where most people go: If your heading there from the lake, don't park at the summit of 431, proceed to the parking area less than a mile down the Reno side of the pass just before the switchback. Follow the skin tracks across the street toward the peak to the west (Tamarack Peak). There is a nice east face to do, and the runout leads back to the car. The bowls and trees on the north side are good too, but be prepared to climb back out.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:01 pm 

Hey Matt - Your Beta is going in my bag. Really appreciate it. How about Relay Peak,Mt. Houghton, or Mt Rose itself? Big bite for some rookies? Is it better to hang on Tamarack Pk and just do an extra loop there if we have gas? Thx. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:50 am 

Relay Peak gets tracked by the snowmobiles :cry: Mt. Houghton has some nice descents but they face south to southeast, so the pow factor is iffy this time of year (great for corn snow soon), and it's a long haul. Mt. Rose is usually wind scoured bad at the top, but there are some great tree runs on the E-NE side. It's quite a climb too - harder than it looks.

There's a nice chute on the north side of Peak 9202' (aka Fireplug).

I might be up there, but prolly gonna hit an overnighter somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:00 pm 

Matt, where are you overnighting. I'd like to get out this weekend and want to camp. Was thinking of Lassen.

Steve and Chris. If overnight plans fail I may join you, esp. if Matt is guarantees powder. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:49 pm 

Powderjunkie - You're way :) welcome to join us. Not sure which direction you're comming from but we should be at Matt's suggested starting point at about 9-9:30 and we've got room for more if you're on the way from Santa Cruz. I can pass my cell # on if needed or e-mail me at Steve.Parsoneault@seagate.com Cheers, Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:32 pm 

PJ:

Fassnor and I haven't decided yet on where to go. It's gonna be super windy by Sat. night - like 80-90mph gusts over the ridges. Lassen may be the tip if the winds are less. PM me, or I think I have your cell, so I'll call too.