Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: VT NY NH ME PQ 08/09
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:35 am 

I should've been more specific. Yes. It's during operating hours that you should stay off open trails on your way up. Saw a pass holder get dressed down last week for booting at around 10am. Certainly not as stern as the "skiing on closed trails" talking-to's I've seen, and likely common sense, but I don't want my people to get in trouble. :)

The wet stuff on Tuesday definitely filled things in well, but there are still some open holes in drainages, so be wary of straight-lining it.

Shep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:50 pm 

Great weekend way up North!

Woods are filling in quite nicely. Snow is really setting down and add up the 10in of new snow this week and you've got good stuff to ride on... Still have to be VERY careful... streams and drainage are not frozen yet... And there is not a good enough base to ride at speed... We still need at least 18in of snow before it's all good. The big plus is that unlike at the resort, there is no competition out there! Everyone is excited at the resort... but no one deep in the woods... But again, we need more snow before we can do to steeper stuff!

Played a lot inbounds also this weekend. The whole mountain at Jay is skiable... Still have to be carefull with dead falls and exposed rocks... but still, great stuff... even if i finished off with a deep shot to the base... Nothing scary... just a whole lot of p-tex lost... But it won't show as soon as i get into it... Ah well... always happens to new gear... but the old stuff never dies!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 pm 

anyone know what was going on at stowe today in terms of the weather? it is feeling pretty warm here in burlington so i'm thinking it may have rained a bit up there as it was socked in for a while. the forecast is looking promising for the rest of the week so hopefully we'll get some more snow to cover up any crust/ice that could be forming today.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:24 pm 

First chair this morning was pure ice up top and heavy wet snow down low. With the sun, I think it turned into nice spring skiing, but tomorrow morning it'll probably be gnarly ice again. If you like going fast, it was actually kind fun today. I felt like a GS racer. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 pm 

conditions summary...

wed dec 3

sweet, it's finally december.

the colder temps and early dry snows of oct & nov have recently turned more marginal over the past couple weeks but it's still been snowing, just wetter. even though the snowpack is now saturated, the cold nights are locking things into place in the bc which is GOOD. we also haven't lost too much snow with the temps staying cool, so we're in good shape for some big dumps this month on top of this base. 8-12" mid-mountain and 12-18" max right now along highest ridgelines and summits in the bc.

early dec is always hard cause there's not enough snow in the BC yet but most resorts are now open and skinning inbounds isn't so ideal. go buy a ticket and get your legs under you on the lifts until we get some more snow. early am runs have been fast with some softening thru am hours. a staunch zipper crust exists on anything not groomed.

long term forecast still looking GOOD thru tues.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 am 

thur dec 4

raining steady at base of mansfield at 8am with snowline close to top of quad. mixed bag from there down, strong S wind. will get colder w/ all snow later today and tonight w/ shifting winds out of the N. colder tomorrow.

groomers were fast and soft today.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:50 am 

sat dec 6

cold with light snow showers continuing in N. VT.

a quick update from the chic chocs below... sounds like their frist sig storm of the season tomorrow.

CHIC-CHOCS
SNOW BULLETIN

Date Issued : Friday, December 5, 2008

Valid until: Monday, December 8 2008
Area of concern: This snow bulletin covers the snowfields offered in the Chic-Chocs including Mt. Albert, Mt. Hog’s Back, Champs de Mars, Mt. Blanche Lamontagne, Mt.Vallières-de-Saint-Réaland Mines Madeleine.

Mountain travel information: It’s starting to look like winter in the Chic-Chocs but it’s not ready for skiing, boarding or avalanching. Although it is possible to travel with skis or snowshoes on the trails, the snowpack depth is clearly inadequate to ski down the snowfields. Things could change quickly with one or two good snowstorms, which the first is taking shape for Sunday to Monday. The most optimistic models estimate up to 30-40 cm of snow with strong winds. In this case, we could see some small avalanche activity in the alpine areas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:53 pm 

it is currently dumping in burlington, should make for some good conditions tomorrow morning at stowe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:31 pm 

grubbers wrote:
it is currently dumping in burlington

ditto in N central VT as of 4pm, should give us a quick 3-5"+ on the hill.

looking for a couple big dumps right now to set things off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 am 

mon dec 8

wicked cold, coldest morning yet this season. single digits just below or above 0, not to mention the windchill. still, sunny and 6-8" of new snow overnight. squeaky clean...

gusty N winds kept the quad from spinning first thing on mansfield, but the double served up some nice runs to warm the blood. still not enough natural around for trees or any signif touring.

again, looking for a dump or two... but first, a big warm up coming for wednesday w/ rain or mixed precip if lucky. colder thurs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 am 

vtbackcountry wrote:
gusty N winds kept the quad from spinning first thing on mansfield, but the double served up some nice runs to warm the blood. still not enough natural around for trees or any signif touring.

coverage isn't amazing, but the woods are most certainly rideable. today was definitely one of the best days i have gotten at stowe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 pm 

grubbers wrote:
the woods are most certainly rideable

they did look good, but you've got bigger cojones than i do... hope you scored.

not quite ready to get jacked on some pokey shit that could easily ruin my whole season. i'll wait for another storm or two...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:51 pm 

It's a long season... I'm waiting another storm or two as well. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next