Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: '08 - '09 Northern Bridgers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:24 am 

lifelinksplit wrote:
...did ya do a compression test or shovel shear?...

I didn't do one, no. Not that that info would do you much good now anyway - - sorry I didn't see this sooner. With the snow we got this past weekend and the heavy wind that seems to be persisting I'm sure there are going to be some slabs formed up there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:33 pm 

not really n. bridgers, but went up to BB and skied a line over in wolverine, a shot kinda above NW passage and a quick lap in n. bowl. I think everyone already knows but temps have been really warm and the snow has set up like concrete. on sat it was heavy but managable but i'm guessing if it froze for sun it could be pretty bad. Even though it was heavy I thought the riding was ok(skier buddy not quite as much) and we were able to ski some tighter lines with a couple little airs. We did drop some rather large cornices from the ridge that broke a little further back than expected but nothing propagated. On a side note I saw four or five splitboards out on sat( a couple never summers, a prior etc). and there was a group of like 8 snowboarders who bootpacked up quite a ways and kept off the skintrack the whole way :headbang:

can you find our line

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:08 pm 

lifelinksplit wrote:
...went up to BB...temps have been really warm and the snow has set up like concrete. on sat it was heavy but managable but i'm guessing if it froze for sun it could be pretty bad...

I was up there on Saturday as well. My buddy and I did a line near Pierre's Knob around 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon and the snow was just like lifelink says - concrete - and setting up fast. I am completely convinced that within an hour of it getting dark and the temp dropping the place probably turned into a haggard, frozen, wasteland.

A wind-loaded Northeast face slab broke off at about 18" deep on a nasty ice layer in both shovel shear tests and well as a Rutschblock test we did. Fresh snow last night and Westerly winds as well so watch out.