Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone play with Catek Freeride Strap bindings?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:41 pm 

I've wanted to pick up a pair of these for resort boarding, and now I'm thinking they may be a great option for split boarding, if you can make the mounting work right... Check them out and you'll see what I mean http://www.catek.com/freeride.htm#
Photo with straps removed..

Basically drop the regular mounting disk, and try to mount the flat binding plate straight to your Voile slider plates. Might need some new holes, but I'm wondering what the weight cost/savings might be overall.

Just wondering if anyone out there has looked at this a bit closer or even tried them out... I've heard awesome reviews from the regular soft boot carving and freeride folks.. Not cheap, but.... Just thinking...

Still want to just mount my straps and highback to a slider plate and go from there some day, like BCR's Clicker setup... Might as well get a clicker then... Naw...... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:34 pm 

I've looked at this before and I think this is the binding MFG Zach shared our idea with. Imagine the baseplat in the pic having the slider track groves in it, voila!

An easier approach may be to buy the heelcup/highback and straps from them to mount directly to the existing slider plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:47 pm 

If we mounted the heelcup/straps directly on the side of the Voile slider plate, I was wondering if it would interfere with the pucks, though..

I'm sure someone here with access to a metal shop will mock up something similar sooner or later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:14 pm 

montoya wrote:
If we mounted the heelcup/straps directly on the side of the Voile slider plate, I was wondering if it would interfere with the pucks, though..

you'd need to take that into consideration and mount them accordingly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:08 am 

My fear is that the slider plates won't be stiff enough and the direct screwing of the staps on them will cause enough torsion stress when riding to bend them or to make them pop out of the pucks. The idea of supressing the baseplate off those catek bindings seems really promising though. I'm currently working on a split specific binding as a semester project, so thanks for the idea. I'll try to work on something similar but custom made (I have access to a lot of machinery at my eng. school) so I'll keep you guys posted when I get something rideable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:12 am 

If I only had a machine shop! Voile is this best out there but fully integrating the binding system and plates is a great Idea to cut on weight and stiffness. [/quote]

Post subject: Catek
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:25 am 

I have Cateks on my Palmer but I wouldn't try it on my split...waaaay to much overlap due to the palte designs, Catek who I spoke to said that they're working toward something for next year...hopefully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:37 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Voile is this best out there but fully integrating the binding system and plates is a great Idea to cut on weight and stiffness.

Since Burton will be using Voile hardware next year (is that still a rumor or has it been confirmed?) and Burton makes some great bindings, you'd think the two companies could work together on making a binding with a slider plate built in.