Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atomic Poacher
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:05 am 

First of all, thanx for your future comments...

I live in Switzerland and the only splitboard I can buy in local shops (for about 1000 $) is the Atomic Poacher.

Anyone could give me comments on this board?

Then the size: I am 5.10 and weight 165 pounds, should i get a 157, 164 or 171cm?

Thx!
++

Post subject: Re: Atomic Poacher
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 am 

Don't do it.

ricolas wrote:
First of all, thanx for your future comments...

I live in Switzerland and the only splitboard I can buy in local shops (for about 1000 $) is the Atomic Poacher.

Anyone could give me comments on this board?

Then the size: I am 5.10 and weight 165 pounds, should i get a 157, 164 or 171cm?

Thx!
++

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:25 am 

ricolas, check out this thread. It's dedicated to the communities knowledge (or lack there of) on the Poacher.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4402

btw, I soooo almost got it.
It's got some issues traditional splits don't but it's got some advantages too.
Plus if it's the only board you can get than...........well it's the only board you can get.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 pm 

I think 164 would be right; I'm waiting for some reviews before buying a 164 (5'10", 160lb). I ride a 155 or 160 freeride board but the swallowtail probably needs more length. Please post your impressions if you buy it.

As the thread above says, it should be light and handle well. People are concerned about skinning and top board damage, but it looks like a great deal and potentially a better design than the Voile interface.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:02 pm 

Potentially being the key word here. I got a custom NS from the states for 1400 dollars. My guess is you can get a Voile for a lot cheaper than that in mid-Euroland.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:29 pm 

I am going on the record saying that the design falls far short of the Voile design. How many parts do you have with the Voile system that you can lose in the snow? Do you need tools to use the interface? Nope. The Voile design is elegant in it's simplicity. The fixed stance sucks with the Poacher too. I'll go for simple bomber construction any day over tech.

I think Atomic is onto something here, but they need a few revisions before it's a truly worthy system.

I may get some first hand use with the Poacher this weekend. So I'll write up more about it if I do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:52 pm 

i'm not just saying this because i work for voile but i would not recommend the board. The atomic interface is a well machined design; but it takes longer to assemble, many more parts, and relies on a tool to make the conversions. While the voile interface isn't perfect and i like seeing new ideas and designs, i think i'll stick with voile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:02 am 

i rented the poacher this week-end and went for 2 rides with my girlfriend who has skis.
A lot of snow this winter in switzerland, great conditions!
snow was light on top and quite heavy in the bottom. It was 2 easy to medium rides (900 m of uneven). Second ride we went down on the ski-slope.
My opinion: I have never tried other splitboards so it is impossible for me to compare with other systems, but I must say that I was really pleased with the atomic system!
to go up it was good, with only difficulties when i was going sideways (i dont know the word in english, but u see what I mean, when the slope was not "in front" of me but on the side). Otherwise i could really keep the pace with my girlfriend (who is in much better shape than I am :)
And to go down (here I can compare to other boards) I found it great! even on the ski-slope i thought it was behaving very well. And the tail shape makes a big difference in the powder, you just press a little on the rear and you turn really quickly. I like the bindings, it s simple but good enough.
The only negative point was the change of bindings on top, first time it was on top of the mountain, with a lot of wind and cold weather and i took me over 10 minutes to change the bindings (and about 3 minutes at home...). But i m gonna get better every time! the problem is that with ice it s not so easy to turn the bindings.

I was so pleased after this week-end that i bought the board,700 euros (everything together). I am wondering how resistant the board will be... i ll tell you at the end of the season!

++
Nicolas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:58 am 

Dont drop the binding tool down a couloir!

(thanks for the review)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 am 

The term you are looking for is sidehilling, and it sucks on prior too. Unless the snow is soft enough for you to get a portion of skins in contact sidehilling is going to be rough. Some of the guys on the site say sparks binding help (not an option for you). Since the atomic system accomplishes the same "low to the board" aspect as sparks, I think you're sill going to be in decent shape for it. Remember even telemarkers can have problems with steep, packed, sidehills. One thing that might help is a stiffer boot, like a Salomon Malimute or Burton Driver X. Hope this helps and I look forward to your future reviews. By the way on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a noodle and 10 being a plank of wood, how stiff would you say the poacher is?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:14 am 

thx for your answers

i would give it a 5-6, the softest board i have ever ridden
it s softer than my actual board, which I find much softer than my previous boards...
but again, I cannot compare it to other splitboards

i ll need to try the poacher on hard snow to really see how it behaves, because in powder i think u can ride about anything without seeing a difference in terms of stiffness

++
Nicolas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 am 

ricolas wrote:
i rented the poacher this week-end

Where did you rent the poacher?

thanks
lucikasp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am 

hmmm...nicolas from switzerland? you wouldn't be the nicolas that should be riding a burton split, are you? :wink:

Unity Dominion 180