Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Random Avalance S&R Thought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:00 pm 

So I've been doing some self-imposed homework for this season and have read a lot about asphyxiation (sp?). Was reading some stats on survival rates v. burial times, and some assumptions on those that survived longer burials had an air pocket or channels to the surface. Had a thought that I'm sure has been thought and shot down, but as I hadn't seen it discussed figured I'd throw it out here.

Once you've located a buried victim and successfully hit him with your probe why not have another in the search party probe around him to create a few various holes that lead to the surface on the hope that one of those holes helps get some add'l O2 down to your buried buddy while others start the dig? While there's no way to know his orientation it seems like with a few holes leading to the surface may add some value and buy some time?

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Random Avalance S&R Thought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:19 pm 

dig phuggers dig. who knows what else may be going on with the vic. deadly bleading, blunt force trama. even though you found the vic with your prob, you don't know what part you have found. your better putting all your efforts into digging.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:32 pm 

I would say the same! Dig for all it's worth. It doesn't make sense to have the other people probing, when they all could be digging, even if they don't have shovels (which of course they should have in the BC). Think about it, what are the chances you hit his mouth or breathing pocket if there is one (And poke an eye out in the process!)!? And then, how much air would that little hole provide?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:26 pm 

About what I expected to hear back :lol: Definitely don't know which part you found, I was just thinking that even if you hit clothing if you've got a direct passage to the air above that it may help dissipate some CO2 and/or bring in some fresh O2 while others continue to dig. Ahh well, was just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:40 pm 

I don't know... I don't think it's such a crazy idea. I read an account somewhere by an avy burial survivor who got a tooth knocked out by a probe while he was still buried. He was pretty stoked about it. I'll have to try and remember where I read that. It would only take like 2 seconds punch in a bunch of holes so why not? I guess they would just get trampled in the digging, though. It seems like a potentially good payoff for almost no effort, so why not? Although maybe those little holes are so long that they wouldn't help much anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:44 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
It would only take like 2 seconds punch in a bunch of holes so why not?

That was my initial line of thinking, if you could plunk out a bunch quickly may have an immediate time ROI higher than starting to dig. In the end it's all theory anyway as every burial is different. If I'm buried I'm pretty sure I won't mind a bruise or two if I get probed a few times, hell you guys can even aggressively shovel and cut thru my pants :lol: I'll forgive ya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 pm 

Large Format wrote:
dig phuggers dig

did anyone say DIG?

SanFrantastico wrote:
I guess they would just get trampled in the digging, though.

absolutely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:03 pm 

And then dig some more!

I hate to even think about it, but I imagine the poke of a probe while buried would be 1 million times better then sex... if that's the case, poke me a few times. Probably wont help me breath, but I'll be passed out like 2 seconds later.

I think the probe theory would best be tested with o2 monitors and dummies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:58 pm 

Would be a complete waste of time if victim is face/head down -50% chance, which you will not know. Leave the probe in place on first strike and DIG.