Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mountaineering boots vs snowboard boots?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:45 pm 

Ok,

So you guys answered my questions on board length, now it is time to move onto boots.

So I do a lot of mountaineering and I am very comfortable with my plastic double boots(Koflachs)
The one time I tried to use my strap on crampons on my snowboard boots it wasn't the best experience.

So I would like ease of transition between skinning, crampon use, and then ultimately snowboarding. So I guess my main question is should I go for the Voile plate kit and use my mountaineering boots or should I use my existing snowboard boots and bindings.
I am thinking that even though I am getting a splitboard to snowboard with the reality is that more time will be spent skinning to the destination and climbing up the mountains than the actual time spent descending(even though this is the most fun)

Some of my trips will combine ice climbing and snowboarding as well(base camp style) so maybe I just answered my own question, as in I should probably get the plate kit and then sacrifice a little comfort and comtrol on the downhill.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: mountaineering boots vs snowboard boots?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm 

try the search function.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:43 am 

i got myself a pair of koflachs for this winter. got those for really cheap and these will be my future boots. they are alot stiffer than the la sportiva lhotses i used to ride in (they performed ok as long as it didn't get to steep and icey). as mentioned in the other thread there are people that find them to not be stiff enough though. burton from erste spur narowed down his ride bindings for a better fit of the koflachs http://www.erstespur.de/viewtopic.php?t=3956&start=0. he says that it is of course possible to ride them with the voile plate bindings since they are designed for crampon use, but wouldn't recommend it because of the missing highback and lack of boot stiffness.
if i'm correct BCD from this forum uses them too, at least it seems like he used too. he used the plate setup, allthough in a modified version of his own (with highback). sorry, cant find that thread at the moment, maybe somebody can help out.
i will use the koflachs with my ride bindings as well and depending on performance i'll think about getting stiffer liners and narrowing the binding.
hope that helps.

edit: found the BCD mod http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2029 . looking at his TR's it seems fact that the guy can ride. but he didn't report back on how the setup holds up in spring conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:22 am 

Mountaineering boots work almost as well in snowboard bindings as regular snowboard boots do. Try it out, you'll probably be happy.

Shep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:14 am 

Shep wrote:
Mountaineering boots work almost as well in snowboard bindings as regular snowboard boots do. Try it out, you'll probably be happy.

Shep
I've seen this set up work well for a few riders. I've also seen the Mtn.Plates work with the bail on the heel (in pow) pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 am 

My advice would be to rent, demo, or borrow the mountaineering or hardboots you're interested in. Neither option are cheap and it can be an expensive experiment if you find out you don't like them for riding. I'm not sure if the type of mountains I climb would classify as true mountaineering but I think you'd be surprised what you can get up in good old snowboard boots and strap crampons.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:30 pm 

Those old Koflach Oxygen/Superpipe boots seem to bridge the gap pretty well. I found a second pair on ebay last spring, and I think I'm going to begin hording them.

As is, they are softer than most snowboard boots, but will ride better than straight mountaineering boots. Stiffer liners will solve that problem, if you're accustomed to stiff snowboarding boots. The Garmont G-Fit liners come in three heights, and the medium height is perfect.

I agree that it makes sense to wear something that is more climbing-focused, since 95% of your time will be spent going uphill. There will always be sacrifices and tradeoffs, but there are ways to minimize that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 pm 

I don't know you very well, but I'd say that if you have been mountaineering in mountaineering boots for a while, and are getting into splitting, then use your mountaineering boots.

If you have been snowboarding for years in soft boots (like me), then use soft boots when splitting.

Then, as you get more involved in the sport it doesn't hurt to try different things.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com