It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:01 am 

TEX wrote:
Eco wrote
Quote:
Glad to see you want to surf on snow again tex

You mean cause Im looking at soft boots? I am still looking for a comfortable pair of hardboots too. But I gotta say if the Malamutes are stiffer than the F22's (which Im sure they are) I might as well be looking at hard boots cause those are some stiff fuckers

Don't fret about the stiffness of Malamutes---listen to the masses. Don't make me go through all of the sb.com trip reports and repost pictures of Malaumte wearers riding with a surf like style. Not me by the way.

I only get wet feet when I walk in water, otherwise I'm ok.:wink: BCRider is known to bring an extra pair of socks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:53 am 

i picked up the 'Mutes of SAC and got a 12.5 and 13.

i have a 12.5 street shoe and currently ride Burton Drivers in a 13.

the 12.5....i can feel pressure on the 6th toe of my left foot, which is the bigger of the two. It's not too bad, but I'm concerned that with a strap over that part of the foot it will become unbearable, even after packing out.

the 13...nice amount of toe room, the heel actually felt locked in better than the 12.5. No issues with the left foot.

I'm going to fit them again tonight, put on the board and buckle down, and see how it feels. I should also try them on in the morning and not just in the evening.

But one of the things I believe is that you can take away space on the inside of a boot with shims and such, but it's damn difficult to create space when there isn't any. You can't punch out a soft boot like you can a ski boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:27 am 

Tap wrote:
i can feel pressure on the 6th toe of my left foot

Maybe they were only designed for people with 5 toes per foot :P

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject: 'Mutes...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:39 am 

SAC ships fast... Just test fit my new ones as well. For me, the sizing is pretty much 1 to 1, street to Salomon.. 9.5 translates well with the Mondo size of 27.5...

Don't forget Malamute liners are heat moldable for an even more "custom" fit if you need. This will actually allow you to create a little extra space in places where you need it.

There are some hard plastic shims that come with the new malamutes. Not sure if they take up much more room around the ankle area, but they do seem to add a bit more stiffness (heal/toe flex). Like they needed it.. ;) But I do like having the front boot being a bit stiffer than the back leg... Nice way to work that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:10 pm 

Salomon boot sizes ARE different than the rest of the world. According to http://www.summitsportsinc.com/online/guides/snowboard-boot-guide.html, a U.S. Men's 12 equals Mondo 30. A Salomon 12 equals a Mondo 29.5.

To further prove this, I looked directly into the label on my VANS boots and my Salomons

VANS: U.S. 12, 30.0 CM
Salomons: U.S. 12, 29.5 CM

Why does Salomon do this? Just to screw everyone up, most likely! :x

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm 

alls I know, according to "Da Coach" is that a Salomon 13 is really more of a US 12.5.

I'm keeping the 13's. Does anyone want some 12.5's before I return them?

PM me quick cause I'm shipping tomorrow.

(late post edit - the size "13"'s are perfect for my 12.5 feet. I'd rather have plenty of room in the toe box, without giving up heel support, than go for the "competition fit" and hate it later on.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:20 pm 

TEX wrote:
Two things I hate about my driver x's. #1 sinse the day I got them they have a hot spot on the inner ankle from the string/lacing system. There is a small plastic tube inside the outer boot that when you tighten it rubs the shit out of my foot. The only cure for that for me is to wear one boot a little loose. The second thing is they Leak or dont breath causeing me to have soaking wet feet at the end of the day. Then I get to sleep all night in wet liners so they wont freeze.

My feet are soaked after riding all day in my driver x's also. I think they are just really warm boots. I have been riding alot lately and I messed up the ligament on my outer right ankle. I think the velcro 'elbow' that you put in there to hold your heel down did it. Now it's near the end of the season and I can't ride, it's a really sharp stabbing pain. Dr says to keep off it (low top shoes feel perfect, I've been mountain biking 4 days a week to stay in shape just fine)... ever have that problem? Until then the driver x's have been the greatest boot I've ever worn.

Oh, and to add to the salomon posting: I usually wear an 8-8.5, and I wear a 9 in salomon running shoes, but an size is on for snowboarding boots at 8...

Post subject: Re: Saloman Boot sizing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:04 pm 

I just got a pair of the Salomon Malamute from Backcountry.com, and the sizing is indeed a bit strange. Im normally a size 10.5-11.5 depending on shoe type and brand. I went for size 29.5 (12) when ordering. I thought this would give me some room since it was a bit larger than what I would normally wear. But when they arrived and I tried them on they turned out to be too small. My big toes were touching the front of the boots. So I had to return them to Backcountry.com, which sorta sucks with the shipping and all from Norway. As the toes were not just barely touching, I went 2 sizes up (1 cm) to 30.5. Which apparently is 13 US size, but felt more like a 12 tbh. They fit me great as far as I can tell. Dont know how 30 would be, but they mightv been all right too. Possibly a bit tight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:37 pm 

My f22s are a larger size than my regular shoe size. I mail ordered them and wish I would have know the liners weren't removeable before purchasing. Oh well, they are awesome boots aside from this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm 

I bought the boot in 1/2 size larger than my street shoe, and wore them since my last post (April) through the rest of the season on a half dozen climbs and descents. They fit great! My only complaint is the stiffness of the upper just below my calf muscle, but that is their claim, so I guess they are spot on.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:11 pm 

Hmmmm, I just bought last years malamutes and sizing is spot on imo.

I wear a 10 1/2 street shoe and bought size 10's in malamutes. They are on the snug side which I'd expect being a 1/2 size smaller than my street size.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:32 am 

I just ordered Malamutes from BC.com, size 28, being in a size 29 pair of F22s for the past season. Figured a one cm pack-out with a heat-moldable liner is not unlikely with a bit of work and hard dedication. For the record, I´m between a 27cm and 27.5cm mondo fit in most alpine boots (except Full Tilt), and always between 10 and 11 in street shoes. I´m very optimistic that this will work out.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:01 am 

Weird, received the Malamutes and a Sessions gore jacket today, and the sizing on both items were weird. I´m used to being a good, semi baggy fit with Sessions loose fit XL, and therefore got the same size this time. Freaking huge!! Very comfortable, though.

The Malamutes.. I figured, as said, that I could go a size down in Malamutes compared to F22s, since the Ms have moldable liners and all. That I did, and to my surprise, both the boot print and the fit was more or less the same, a bit snugger fit than on the F22s, though, which haven´t packed out a millimeter.

So, if you can fit a 29 F22 boot, you can probably fit a 28 Malamute as well. Shitloads of powpow today, so naturally I took them straight out of the box for some riding. These are even more responsive than the F22s, and I love them already.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com