Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Canting for hardboots

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canting for hardboots
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 pm 

Hey,

So, I'll be switching on and off from soft boots to hard boots this year. I'm taking a snowboard mountaineering class in the Cascades and will need a more climbing capable boot for crampons, kick steps, you know. Anyway, I've been doing some research and I am a bit confused about the canting process. I understand the concept and have searched the forum but I'm in search of a more elementary approach to doing this on my board.

Knowing this is probably user specific:

Do you cant both bindings inward at the same degree?

What is the best method to canting Voile pucks? I understand Voile used to sell cants but don't anymore...?

My stance is +20/+10 at about 21 inches apart.

Any other info on canting would be great. I love my soft boot setup so I'm trying to keep the transition as comfortable as possible (if that's possible).

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Canting for hardboots
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm 

It seems the availability of Voile cants varies by season. Worth it to call and inquire. There have been lots of other threads about home-grown, or purchased from other sb.com users. I would recommend looking under the DIY subforum.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:57 pm 

Do you know for sure that you need to cant your bindings?

I ride AT boots on split and solid boards and don't cant my bindings at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:35 pm 

There is an article over on bomberonline in the tech section: cant and lift. Read it to better understand what you are asking. With that said, are you feeling pressure anywhere while in your setup? Boot cuffs to your legs? Or any other? Easier to do this in person, but can help you with some particulars. At your angles, you may not need any, or you may want both cant and lift(heel/toe) to create what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:34 pm 

No, I don't know for sure if I need cants at all. I'm just asking due to all the responses I've read on the forum about comfort issues related to hard boots. I am, of course, going to try all possible setups to find what works best for me. I thought I'd plug some of you guys first to see if I could get a better understanding of what would be a good starting point. I have a friend who rides an alpine and recall the canting of his bindings. Knowing this was due to the lack of lateral movement in his hard boots I guessed it would be a similar issue with hardbooting on a split. I'll read the bomber article and see how much light it sheds but I'm guessing it has more to do with alpine setups than freeride. Thanks anyway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 am 

My angles are 5&15. I don't cant at all. I think canting is most effective in the extreme alpine style angles. I leave my boots in "WALK" mode for all soft conditions, "SKI" mode for hard pack, funk or really steep slope (mountaineering) angles. I agree with Jon in regard to your angles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:07 pm 

Thanks guys. I'll give it try without and see how it feels.

By the way, the guys at Voile have pucks for 24 bucks a set. I just e-mailed them and they got right back to me.

Happy trails...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:37 pm 

chadhueter wrote:
Knowing this was due to the lack of lateral movement in his hard boots

Now, this is a very common misconception. You can find S/B hardboots that may actually be, out of the box, softer flexing than the stiffest of soft boots. In both directions. OTOH, typical H/B will be significantly stiffer than soft boots. And bindings play into this picture, too. Voile Mtn. Plates will allow more flex in all planes than Bomber splitboard plates. Alloy plates and toe bails, combined with 6mm stainless steel bails, change that picture a lot. You use cant and lift to find the best neutral position on your board, the stance that allows you to move comfortably in all planes. Just my $.02, based on 10 years on plates and some more on softies...jeez, am I that old?? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm 

This stuff is new to me so thanks for clearing some of this up, Jon.

By the way, do you ride in snowboard hard boots or A/T ski boots? Do you have any advise for newbie about A/T boot setups?

Oh, and where in Western WA do you live? I'm out of Seattle and I'm hoping for some weather up in the mountains soon.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:29 am 

chadhueter wrote:
Do you have any advise for newbie about A/T boot setups?

I truly feel that AT boots and plates surf way better than soft boots and straps/highback. AT boots in WALK mode allow almost full articulation of the ankle for a true surf turn.

In SKI mode you can really drive your turns hard. They take a little to get used to. Once you do, it's the only way to ride, :thumpsup: (JMO! Call off the soft boot :twisted: dogs) especially in the big mountains.

They're lighter, warmer, kick steps better, can stand on tiny toe points and use pneumatic crampons. They smoke strap ons any day. They are much more efficient skinning! Like you said that is the largest part of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 am 

split.therapy wrote:
I truly feel that AT boots and plates surf way better than soft boots and straps/highback. AT boots in WALK mode allow almost full articulation of the ankle for a true surf turn.
They're lighter, warmer, kick steps better, can stand on tiny toe points and use pneumatic crampons. They smoke strap ons any day. They are much more efficient skinning! Like you said that is the largest part of the day.

And they come with vibram soles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:03 pm 

Let me guess...you guys have a sweet pair of A/T boots for sale. No, just kidding :lol:

Great, I'm gettin' stoked on this whole hardboot thing now. Riding for years in softboots lead me to believe this was going to be a horrible experience. I still have to try it out but your advise is helping ease the mind pain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:42 pm 

Chad, I am north of you in the Skagit valley area, as are a few more splitters. I ride both A/T boots and SB series boots, on-piste and backcountry. A/T boots are the go-to for me on the split, mostly due to the weight difference of almost 2 lbs per boot less on my Dynafit TLT4's. Ride is comparable, though the Dynafits are stiffer in forward flex than my Raichle SB123's, but not a lot. If you need any setup questions answered better than online, pm me and I can see what I can do for ya.