Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:17 am 

Records are being set everywhere this year. Who would of ever thought that Baker would be reopening in late March. Despite the low coverage Jimjar, Hattrup, and myself decided that 30" was too good to pass up. Pulled into Heather by 9am. Low clouds in and out with the occassional sun beam breaking thru and hitting that one lucky or should I say unlucky spot of snow. Winds were mild and temps in the 30s. Took our first line off Pan Dome by 9:20. The inbounds had about 6" over the recent consolidating dump. Only found fresh in stashes scattered about here and there. If it wasn't in the trees, protected, or northern aspect it was crust from the sun earlier in the week. So we made our way to top of 8. All while admiring the lines and boot track already in place. Only about a half dozen lines off the arm with endless room for more. As we started the hump we watched a film crew (tv station?) doing some shooting. Mike was able to pick out Matt Cummings from the line up. Watching people huck and take sick lines provided all the motivation needed. I thought to myself in 20-30 minutes we'll be riding that.

Our first line proved to be epic! Even though the lighting was a little flat the visibility held and the clouds kept away. One by one we spotted and dropped into a north facing chute. The pay off was in the form of steep knee deep fluff for 1500ft. The last couple hundred or so feet in the gully out was sketch in some sections. From picking our way thru boulders/rocks, trees/saplings to jibbing creeks and dogding large chunks of snow collapsing into the creek. It kept everyone on their toes. The good news was the ample amount snow to stay damage free. The key was not going too fast but maintaining enough speed to be in control and carry you around the obstacles. Back at the lift nobody needed to say anything. Just like a junky after a fix the grins on our faces said it all.

The 2nd and 3rd lines off the arm were just as good as the first. The slope was finally starting to show its use. However, finding untracked was not a problem. For 2nds Mike straight lined a pinner into an open bowl. Jim found his chute off a saddle to the right. Seperating the 2 was a mini shoulder/spine that I found myself on. After looking back up at our lines it just dawned on me that I missed out big by not having a video camera. I had a vision of Jim riding down the chute while I or someone sprayed snow off the nose onto him and the chute. Eventually he would reappear out of a cloud of smoke. Wondering how many days in the year when avi conditions would support this. Oh well next time.

Our last run would take us out far on the arm. It was 2pm and the weather was finally making its entrance. By the time we dropped in it started snowing. Turn after turn we carved effortlessly in bottomless pow. Was truly gangbusters! Back at the lot we gazed back at a socked in resort. There were sun breaks in the lot followed by periods of snow. As we got ready to leave a group near by invited us over for some dogs and bs. Ummm...thanx hit the spot. On the way out we stopped for some Guiness and food at Grahams. I feel a food coma coming on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:32 pm 

Glad you guys got some! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:00 pm 

HA you're stoked! Thank goodness for more snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:47 pm 

Yup better late than never its finally dumping here. We have been averaging about a foot a day for nearly the past week. Only concern is the snow is falling at 33 degrees. A wee bit on the wet side but snow notheless. Temps should be cooling down this week so maybe it will suck out some of that moisture. I have a fever and the only cure is powder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:20 pm 

Awesome. Glad you guys are getting some. Maybe the spring will turn out to be a long one for you. I've had some really spectacular days at Baker, and this TR brought back some memories of huge snow off Pan Dome and the Arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:15 pm 

Baker strikes back! The arm never fails to create smiling faces, I've found. The backcountry should also be getting good again for all you Washingtonians. My guess is that Coleman Pinnacle area will be the place to be once this storm passes by. Get some!

Did anyone hit up hwy 20 while it was open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:05 pm 

Thank you Mt. Baker for bringing the goods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:27 am 

Went out on Mon. 3-21, had one run from Table, one on North Face,and four from Austin/Pan Face, then booted it up for one run down Pan Face with the Swallowtail.One of the best days of the year,Gonna go out on Wed. (3/30),Don't know where yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:52 pm 

Nomad I have some buddies that went out that way and they said it was sick. Since east side of the crest snow was fluffier. However they heard avi's all day so they were confined to the treed slopes. Even there they managed to kick up some big sluffs.

Hey Refried let's hook up for a Baker assault?

Jimjar you down? Or are you still floating from last Thursdays trip?

Hell anyone from the WA down? Or from another state coming up? Need a partner to get thru the lift served gate. Hate piggy backing but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:27 am 

I'll be there on wed.,may stay close to the resort,seehow things look,then back again on sunday most likley.allways open to a Baker assault.

One of Glaciers most loved residents died last week, Strider, the big white dog who wandered around back and forth accross 542, died of old age, so have a slim jim or jerkey(his favorite) and make some turns for old Strider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:16 pm 

Looks like I am heading up there on Saturday for sure. refried, how was it today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:44 am 

Lots of fresh untrracked snow at 9:30,made one nice run thru the canyon, then up 8 to run down Gobles,thigh deep powder everywhere and everything looked pretty stable considering the amount of snow.light crowds,no lift lines,but no chair 1,so runs from Panface took a while to get back to the lift.Bright sun all day turned the snow to mashed potatos by 2, gave up a little after 3,heavy snow was falling when I left.Another top one of the top 10 days of the year,found untracked snow all day long,with almost bottomless powder,I hope sunday is this nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:48 am 

Thanks for the report. This weekend is not getting here fast enough.