Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont 08/09
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:34 pm 

Anyone got a recommendation on boot pack vs. skin? I thought it might be too wet for the skins to make sense, so my roomie and I were talking bootpack the Stowe side tomorrow. Anyone else planning on going? we'll probably be in the parking lot under the gondola around 8am... :headbang:

Shep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 am 

Depends how many runs you want to get... With 12in, i don't mind using skins and splitboard...

with 8in, i'll hit rocks and all... so i'll bootpack to the top and use a rock board...

I might hit Jay on Sat.... we'll see how everything holds for the weekend... tomorrow i'll go mountain biking... hopefully for the last time... and then we'll have major snowstorms every weekend until the end of March... Cause that's what is in MY forecast... no science or nothing... but i'll pray whoever for it!

Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 am 

thurs oct 30

skinned up nosedive at stowe this am and took a couple laps down to just below the shack and back up. stopped over to the rn, paid respects and hommage. legs were burning on final run down, feels good. a great first day.

gusty nw winds, temps mid twenties
6-8" mid-mountain
10-12" top
drifts 12-16"
dense on bottom, creamy on top

sunny and a bit warmer tomorrow as large high pressure sets in for the w/e. happy halloween.

edited nov 24 w/ NWS storm summary link at... http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/events/28Oc ... erview.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:24 pm 

grubbers wrote:
i may be making my way over to whiteface late tonight as it's looking like the storm will go straight over the adirondacks.

grubbers, did you end up heading over to whiteface a couple days ago?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:32 pm 

We booted it, and it would've been fine with my split, but I was happy to have my rock board anyway. We went up Gondolier all the way to the top where it was pretty windblown/drifted. My first October turns ever. :headbang: Definitely gonna be mushy tomorrow. :roll:

Shep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:05 am 

vtbackcountry wrote:
grubbers wrote:
i may be making my way over to whiteface late tonight as it's looking like the storm will go straight over the adirondacks.

grubbers, did you end up heading over to whiteface a couple days ago?

yeah, although we hiked the auto road, which was a bad idea in the scheme of things since it's fairly flat. my friend who drove thought that it would be better as we weren't completely sure what the coverage was going to be like. the snow was pretty good though, 6-8 inches around 2900 ft, which is about as far as we made it. i'm pretty sure the higher elevations got more than that and the wind formed some fairly deep drifts.

Post subject: Re: VT NY NH ME PQ 08/09
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:39 pm 

SNOW ON THE MANSFIELD WEBCAM!

http://www.stowe.com/mountain/webcam.php
:rock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 pm 

Yup. It's there all right. Not nearly as much as we had two weeks ago. :cry: But, hopefully now that they are making snow more consistently, this won't all melt away like the last storm... Yeah, right. :oops:

Shep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 am 

...not at the base, but the top half had good coverage yesterday (11/11)

see photos in Trip Report

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 am 

fri Nov 14

a quick affirmation, top half of mansfield had 6+ new over the past several days. only a couple inches lower mtn. sugarbush reported up to 8" at summit.

wednesday 11/12 was in & out of the clouds w/ some sun, still cold. skinned up to octagon and out to the antenna towers, checked td entrance and the ridgeline. rode a couple half laps and cleaned up the office, lots of broken glass from a possible lantern globe blowout this summer. stuff pretty much sucks to pack out.

as twostowe reported, nice up top but not as good as a couple weeks ago w/ denser layer under 10-12" new. still, no complaints. stowe was blowing snow top to bottom at the quad. warmer today w/ some drizzle.

nxt week looks GOOD w/ moist flow and colder temps. keep your fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:43 pm 

heard the same. PM me for my e-mail if anyone wants to do a mid-week trip next week! :listen:

Shep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:58 pm 

Got to Jay early sat. morning before the rain... Most of the natural snow melted on friday... 2 runs down the Haynes and Jet... great cover all over... had to walk back 1/3rd down because there wasn't snow all the way down...

Sat. afternoon and sat. night was torrential rain...

Got to the mountain at noon on sunday... Jay must have lost 1ft of snow! Everything was green but the 2 same trails as yesterday... Strong winds... Snow... frosting all over the mountain... Got to the top as the snowguns were being turned on... Slick ride down... icy... yet still soft... a real flash freeze event! Made it ALL the way down thanks to the frosty and wet grass... pretty fun... could manage good turns... But snow was really coming down when we left... SHould remain cool for the next couple weeks... now pray for snow!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:08 pm 

looks like stowe will get a dusting over the next few days and temps up here are nice and cool so i'm guessing the snow guns are cranking.

i will most likely be there tuesday, wednesday, maybe thursday, and friday this week. i want to get in as much riding as possible before i head down to mass for thanksgiving break.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next