Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '08 - '09 Northern Bridgers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:56 pm 

Conditions thread for the 2008/2009 winter season in the Bridger Mountain Range.

Post subject: Re: '08 - '09 Northern Bridgers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:42 pm 

Just skied The Great One on election day, as well as a bunch of those other chutes around Fairy Lake. The road was still passable but do not recommend trying to get up there without a pretty bad ass vehicle. it was hard to get out with a Outback after the snow we got this last Tuesday.

The conditions were ok...still a lot of rock but if you stuck to the chutes you generally didn't touch anything but snow. it looked like there was between 12-16" left over from the last big dump so the base in the chutes was descent.

Any other beta??? Veteran's Day is coming up and no class so i'm looking to hit up somewhere else!

Flies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am 

After last nights rain in the valley, Brackett Creek Snotel (Elev: 7320') doesn't seem to have gained significant snow. I estimate just by looking at the range however that the coverage got better in the top half of the Bridgers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:05 pm 

I tried to get back up to Fairy Lake last Saturday and barely made it in and out in a pretty hefty rig. I'd agree that after last night there's a good chance the conditions only have improved!

Flies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:23 pm 

I needed to take some products photos for work today and I hadn't been out of Bozeman in nearly a month so I decided to drive up to the Brackett Creek trailhead. I walked up the road about a half mile past the parking area and I didn't make it to the snowline. It began to snow, actually it began to graupel and did so for about 45 minutes. What patches of snow where on the ground were very dense and I presume if I'd have had time to go higher the consistency would have been similar. So there was dense snow that now has a bit of graupel laying atop it. Hopefully things will heat this up and consolidate it, otherwise I could see that graupel layer becoming nasty.

That's awesome that you couldn't get your rig up to Fairy Lake. Well, I'm sorry you couldn't, but for the sake of snow it's awesome ; ) I haven't been out for a good hike in a couple weeks so I'm going to take the snowshoes up that way on Sunday. I'd promise to take pictures, but it sounds like most of the folks in Bozeman who read this forum have already or will be getting there soon themselves anyway ; )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 am 

Banana Couloir.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 pm 

beautiful shot! i talked to a bridger employee today...he was telling me that it's basically a 18" pack of ice all over the mountain. everyone please pray for another big heavy dump...or this could be a nasty year! i also chatted with some kids about a trip they made this last Tuesday up to Fairy Lake. They were saying that it was super icy...i hope this last storm brought some fresh and maybe caused the pack to soften a bit.

Flies

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:54 pm 

I was ordering a burger from the guys at Bow River and they have a bunch of snowboard stickers stuck to the side of their pop machine (including a Sparks one) and I struck up a conversation with one of them. He'd been into the bowl North of Fairy (I dont' know what this is referred to) and he spoke highly of it. He didn't provide any objective data about conditions but spoke more subjectively about enjoying his run.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:50 pm 

ive been up to sac 5 times now and bridger twice. overall its been pretty good. i have some pictures of sacajawaya and the great one but i dont know how to post them on this page...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:50 pm 

Here's a good thread about how to get pictures posted here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5619&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=picture+post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 pm 

I am now officially a split boarder. I took my split board on its virgin skin and descent on a line near Ross Pass yesterday. I had the board on my back for the first mile or so of walking until snow accumulation was significant enough to allow for skinning. Snow levels were low all the way to the pass wherein the ground was wind-scoured. A small cornice and mass of snow is beginning to form here. I had to remove my board and walk across the rocks and dirt in a Southerly direction.

Upon moving out of the path of the wind at the pass snow depth increased considerably and I was able to skin my way upwards on the East-face of the ridge. I traveled upwards until I encountered some cliff bands, put out my foam sit pad and alcohol stove to enjoy a cup of hot coffee and a breather before assembling my board for the decent.

I dug a pit and found appoximately 3-4 feet of snow with layers that might qualify as weak in the 6-10" depth. The outermost layer of snow had a slight rigidity to it from the effect of the wind. I had seen three skiiers descend about the same time I sat down for coffee but they did not climb higher in elevation than that of the pass. I was solo (looking for partners, hint, hint) so stayed in relatively tight trees and descended a few hundred vertical feet until I returned to the road. I was able to ride a quarter or half mile or so before decellerating enough to have to stop.

The skin downhill was fun and I quickly got my 'cross-country ski legs' back and was gliding pretty effortlessly. Rock and dirt patches are still pretty prominent so watch out.

Hi res version: http://flickr.com/photos/walloftvs/3054333705/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:26 pm 

Quote:
I dug a pit and found appoximately 3-4 feet of snow with layers that might qualify as weak in the 6-10" depth

did ya do a compression test or shovel shear? i was gonna head into the area north of frazier but lately i've been a lazy p.o.s.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:26 am 

Frazier isn't worth your time. was there today...unless you like riding hardpacked and ice then i'd wait until mother nature decides to be a bit more generous with the snow. great base though and i guess it's better than having no snow!

Flies