Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need some help choosing splitboard - Venture, NS or Prior
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:09 am 

^ where/when are you headed?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:52 am 

I feel quite confident going for a powder board. Mid Norway is the same latitude as central Alaska, just to give you an idea. We got pretty good snow conditions here, but of course there are days with no powder.

I would def. demo a board if I had the chance to. I might be able to through the Norwegian dealer, but I imagine its a lot of hassle, and I do not live anywhere near them. I actually recieved a Khyber today, not paid for or anything yet. Got to take a look at it close up and check it out. The one thing I feared the most happened though - The board had a "slight" production fault as the pins would not fit in the holes on the metal-thingy used when in skiing mode. One hole on each of the "skiis" are too small. So I cannot attach the bindings! Well, I could with some force ... haha. I never thought about checking the hole size before putting on the bindings, so I had a hard time putting that pin through! And even a harder time getting it out again. Dont know if I can grind it out a bit bigger either, I dont really have any tools. And one of the holes are so small, it would require a lot of grinding.

I called up the place I got em from though. I am sure itll be sorted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:46 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
^ where/when are you headed?

I'll be out there over MLK weekend. The 14th-20th. Are you heading out to Washington this season?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am 

probably not, just curious/dreaming...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:08 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I'm definitely gonna try and get a run in on a Divide this season if I get the chance. Eco - I think they had a different top sheet this year. The first year model had some texture that snow absolutely glued onto. But I don't think wavy davy had that problem with his board last season, though. Can anyone comment?

PS Spark bindings do rule! :bananas:

My Divide has the textured topsheet and while it isn't perfect it is definitely not a major hangup. Notice a little extra weight in touring mode during spring trips, but other than that it doesn't seem to accumulate too much snow to be an issue in my experience.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:54 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I'm definitely gonna try and get a run in on a Divide this season if I get the chance. Eco - I think they had a different top sheet this year. The first year model had some texture that snow absolutely glued onto. But I don't think wavy davy had that problem with his board last season, though. Can anyone comment?

The board I have is the 07/08 model, and it does have some texture on the topsheet. I got the board towards the end of the season so I've barely ridden it, and certainly not in any big dumps. I did take it out to the Lassen shuttle-fest and didn't have any problems with snow sticking there, though there were only a few new inches on the ground, but that stuff was really wet and sticky in general though.
Can anyone that's spent a lot of time on a Divide please tell me how it does in powder? Will? Monk's splitting an AFrame for me and I'm thinking about selling my Divide, though I really don't want to, it's a sweet board. I think I could justify to myself holding on to the Divide if it filled the niche of being my pow board... someone please tell me it's a great pow board :)
SF, if I don't sell the Divide, you're def welcome to take it out this season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:38 am 

I would say it's a solid pow board. It does have some taper, unfortunately when I took out the solid model (Storm I believe) there wasn't much pow. It rode just fine on the conditions we had. Also, all this talk about pow boards. Before there was such a thing as a pow board, snowboards were the original powder stick. Skiers were envious for years. You have to take all this pow talk with a pound of salt. Some boards are better than others, but almost every snowboard out there can be pretty dang good for pow riding.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:54 am 

This season they are doing a different/better top sheet.

Nat has a lot of days on her Divide - it has held up very well, she has no complaints about it in both powder and corn. She says it is a little stiff for her in powder and that is was a little stiffer than her Prior BC. I think for most aggressive riders the stiffness would be wanted and needed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 pm 

Quote:
Also, all this talke about pow boards. Before there was such a thing as a pow board, snowboards were the original powder stick.

Well said! I have some of my best pow days on my Burton Custom, an all around board and not a special pow stick.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:46 pm 

Thanks for the info Killclimbz and good points, I agree. I'm not the type of person to collect a board for every conceivable condition, I've mostly only owned a single resort board at a time since I've started riding and this will be the first season I may find myself with more than one split. But, I would guess the specialty boards, while not necessary, can be pretty fun to ride in their intended conditions, I'd think this would be especially true with a pow board. In terms of specialty gear, I've spent years mountain biking on a hard tail on all sorts of trails and it was fine, but then I picked up a fully a year and a half ago and it completely changed the experience for me. Just seems like it'd be more fun to ride a board that wants to rise in powder than one that wants to dive. But yeah, you're right, most boards are going to be more than adequate for powder.
:twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 pm 

As I said, I ended up with a Prior Khyber. Had to get the first one replaced as the holes in the touring brackets had a burr on them, making it impossible to get the pins through.
I really like how the splitboard looks in person. Have yet to try it. (It is snowing atm. Wuhuu!)

Here's a few pictures of it with the bindings mounted. Trying to figure out where I want em. The stance is slightly further back atm I think. The front is a bit longer than the back, right? Anyway - Im getting the boots tomorrow and will do some testing and see whats comfortable. I think I like it like this, or just a tad more forward. Been years since last time on a board, so I might have to take it for a run first.

Thanks for all the help btw. It was really helpful.

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:19 am 

you'll want to ride the khyber more centered than most other boards due to the taper.

Looks pretty sweet! :thatrocks:

Shep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:30 am 

Bindings more centered for firmer snow, but I prefer all the way back for deep pow on these type of boards. It's worth messing around with though as there seems be be a lot of personal riding style that comes into play when determining how you will like your bindings positioned. I get spoiled here in the Wastach where a huge nose and short tail are just stupid fun. BTW, I'm on a Kyber myself and ride a Malolo for a lot of slack country.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next