Hey guys,
I'm looking for some feedback on these boots:
Dynafit Zzero 3 PX - TF

Does anyone use or have tried them? These would be my first Hardboot set up

thanks!
gg

Post subject: Re: Dynafit Zzero 3 PX - TF
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 pm 

I've got the four buckle. nerrow feet and they fit me well. they are stiff!!!. I bought them for bigger tours and thinking I might do a few days on skis, but I never seemed to go any where with out my spitter.

the only times I don't like them is at slower speeds when the stiff flex hinders the finesse moves. they dont have cuff adjustments either so I had to nerrow my stance up a fair amount, which makes my already questionable ability to catch air even more scetchy.

I dont know for sure how the flex is on the three buckles, but I would not buy the four buckles for a split spacific application.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:53 pm 

that's why I'm looking at the 3 buckles... potentially less stiff... thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:44 pm 

hey i gots those goin on... i like em, they fit my feet better than tha scarpa f3 and seem a lil softer thru the cuff
havent tried much else tho, lately
sometimes i have to tighten the cuff to flex fwd enuf to get the 21deg lean to lock in, then loosen it for the ride, minor hassle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 pm 

haha love the canuckistan! just curious what's your stance?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 pm 

ridin 34deg on the front, 12 on the back... 22.5"wide (im 6', in my soft stuff i go 23 or 23.5"wide)... centred a bit back for the steep n deep columbia love...
that issue with the cuff, it mite be due to icing up too... cant remember, just that i have to mess with it sometimes...
its bin too long... soon now.... we'll all be railin fat lines o blower pow.... oh yeh.... hells yeh....!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:48 pm 

if you care. ~ 22f/12r with a 21inch stance. on my solid with soft boots I'm 15f/5r with a 23inch stance. always close to centered to the side cut. I'm 6 foot.

hells yeah to snow!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:16 am 

Just wanted to bump this thread a little. I am looking for a pair of hardboots, and the Zzero 3 PF (not C) looks like the best choice for me- I will have to mod the boots, as I need to lock in the forward lean, but do not like the cuff to be locked for forward flex. Usually you can make a mod where you slot the pinhole in the forward lean lock mechanism, by slotting the hole, you can allow the boot to flex forward, but to still have the lean locked in at that position when you flex it back.
Has anyone taken a look at the forward lean machanism of the Zzero boots to see if this is possible?
And please, any further comments on the performance of the Zzero 3 PFs would be appreciated, I am definately looking to find a really good hardboot for free riding and snowboard mountaineering.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm 

hey barrows
yeh that mod goes, eezy.
i think the issue i had with lockin in the 21deg fwd lean is in the plastic, theres sum tabs that restrict fwd flex...
i was planning on choppin my boots when i got em but they were just too shiny last year... theyre startin to look a lil beat now tho....
look out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 pm 

karkis wrote:
they fit my feet better than tha scarpa f3 and seem a lil softer thru the cuff

Curious as to your foot type as I was looking at the F3 if I decide to switch to hard boots. Have several other pairs of Scarpa boots and they fit well...but no hard boots yet. TIA

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 pm 

Thanks for the info karkis. If you do take the knife to your Zzero 3s, please let us know how it goes! I am unemployed right now, so probably will not be buying boots this winter/spring, I cannot even seem to find anyone in the US with stock on these (I probably need 28.0). Anyone know a dealer in the US who might have any stock of Zzero 3s?

Post subject: chop that shiz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 pm 

i did it i busted out the dremel and hacked sum plastic
sorry i dont have a camera these daze so i'll try to describe it
the main piece of the shell encloses the ankle with a heel tab (the part ya dont want to tweak by folding it down when you put the liners in) and some significant areas of plastic supporting each side of the ankle. there are plastic tabs on the inside surface of the cuff piece which butt into these medial/lateral supports and prevent the cuff from flexing much fwd, and makin shit pretty rigid at 21deg, to the point its hard to get the 21degs to lock in. the mod mentioned by barrows doesnt do much to free the fwd flex from the support of the plastic structure.
i went on by triming the inner shell by +/- a quarter of an inch, i trimmed only the posterior edge of the lateral support, but medially i cut around the back, top and fwd edges so as to increase the medial flex. i angled the back edges so the tabs in the cuff will still butt up to them when the fwd lean reaches the end of the slot in the metal bar. the slot i put in my bar extends the hole about half a centimetre. i thot i was working with baby steps but it seems to have been quite effective.
the boot is much softer now. im almost worried it'll be too soft but i can always use the top buckle to provide sum support, its about time that thing was useful.
i'll let ya kno how it rides when i get onnit.
up here MEC used to pimp these boots but i think theyve switched to the carbon model now. it seems to me that if your not scared to chop the shit, the added stiffniss of the carbon fibres wont matter too much...
96 - my feet are wide thru the forefoot, high arches and kinda skinny heels. i've never seemed to feel much for scarpas lasts. for rock shoes my feet match la sportivas fit, and the newer mens anasazis have a wider forefoot than 5.10 used to make and theyre sweet for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:10 pm 

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good mod to me. I just got back from a shop, and checked out the inside shell of a Zzero 4, I see what you mean by the forward flex stopper molded into the shell. It looks to me like the Zzero 3 is the best chance at my finding a hard boot to modify, I am tired of all the hassles of soft boots, especially on multiday trips, but I have yet to ride a hard set up that offers me the same riding performance as a good (stiff, with lots of lean) soft boot.
Today I experimented with my old (modded) Raichle 121, riding them was OK, but lacked the precision control of my soft set up.
I long for the day when a company like Dynafit steps up and makes the commitment to building a dedicated plastic boot for backcountry and snowboard mountaineers.
Please let us know how the modded Z3 rides. If I can find a pair I may get out the dremel and try to create something that works.....