Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowboard rack for snowmobile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:54 pm 

Wyomingsplit asked about the setup we use for carrying snowboards on our sleds so I thought I would post the details in a separate thread here rather than in Trip Reports.

After experimenting with a number of systems we settled on this setup which we have been using for about 10 years now. We like it as it is simple, robust, and works well. We carry the boards in the racks even while travelling on the highway with the sleds on the back of the truck. The red cinch strap (motorcycle tie-down strap) goes over the top and down the other side and does most of the holding, the bungee cord up front just acts to keep the tips tucked in so they don't catch on branches or anything else.

Another view. The racks are cut out of 3/4 inch plywood and bolted to the existing rack on the sled. The important thing is to cut the slots on an angle (not straight up and down) so the board lines up with the angle of the side of the seat and sled tunnel. Here is a picture with just the rack.

The slots should be just a little wider than the thickness of the snowboard, and about 7 inches deep. The rack is secured by drilling holes through the plywood and through the metal tubing (be careful drilling through the tubing, there are wires in there for the brake light!) and then bolted with 1/4 inch bolts, washers, and nylock nuts. If you can make sure when you put your snowboard in that the one binding is behind the slot in the rack as this stops the snowboard from sliding forward. Of course, with different bindings and stance widths this may be hard to achieve. We usually put the long end of the snowboard down, towards the front. I also bolted a couple of rub pads (cut out of a white plastic cutting board) to the sled's running boards to protect the snowboard's edges. And that's about it. Because the snowboards are tucked in close to the sled we've never lost or broken a board yet, and they don't interfere with the passenger's comfort either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:54 pm 

NICE to see custom freestyles on the voile split. I have a very similar pair, circa '96 on my split board. Same color & all.

Oh, those racks are pretty cool. Great, simple, bombproof looking setup!

Do you worry about the tie-downs vibrating in the wind on the highway, cutting themselves on the board edges, and having splits fly down the highway?

I guess the angle the boards are mounted keeps pressure off the straps so they don't rub the edges?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:02 am 

Split66-SWEET set-up on the racks...hmmmm to0 bad work just started because I would be at the hardware store and then home to build one for my sled. Great thread and thank you for sharing. This next week, we are doing some tow-in to some sick couloirs. I will not have time to throw this set-up together, but when I get home. Thank you for sharing. Cool shit :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:59 am 

Quote:
Do you worry about the tie-downs vibrating in the wind on the highway, cutting themselves on the board edges, and having splits fly down the highway?

The tie-downs never seem to fray and the boards stay in the slots quite well even without the tie-downs (just the bungee cord), but we always make sure they are secured with the tied-downs before venturing onto the highway!

Quote:
NICE to see custom freestyles on the voile split. I have a very similar pair, circa '96 on my split board. Same color & all.

Very observant! The bindings are from my very first board (95 or 96?), a Burton Custom 159. Unfortunately the board broke while being towed in on a sled. I replaced it with a Never Summer T5 with Flow step-in bindings, but I like the customs on my split, nice to be able to ratchet them to just the right tightness, going up and down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:31 pm 

Quote:
This next week, we are doing some tow-in to some sick couloirs.

not to hijack, but you know we will want pics. BTW is this with Tom Turiano by chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:08 pm 

not to hijack, but you know we will want pics. BTW is this with Tom Turiano by chance?[/quote]

Lifelinksplit-I will definitely take pictures of the couloirs on Pinnacle Butte. The plan is to camp at the base and knock off The Diagonal and Bottleneck Classic if conditions warrant it.

Thomas Turiano and Joe Hartney will be joining me for a trip on Ramshorn Mountain April 9-11 in East Six Mile Cirque for some 1st descents in this region. Pics to come on that trip too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:22 pm 

Quote:
The plan is to camp at the base and knock off The Diagonal and Bottleneck Classic if conditions warrant it.

You suck!! I definitely want pics of the diagonal. I really want that line and some pics and info would be great. Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:55 am 

Lifelink-I do not suck just yet. We have been getting consitent snow everday since after the Scrub Fest. We have a major winter storm that moved in yesterday and is expected to stick around. If that is the case, there will be no couloir riding next week and only Pow Shots. Either way, it will be good. My plan still stands unless the avi danger is too high (considerable). If it happens, I will put out all the beta I can with pics.

I am supposed to go mountain biking in Fruita today through Monday. We have a storm here and it is expected to be raining and snowing in Fruita. I am sure we will get down there. Stand in the snow and not bike and come home. Why? I am still trying to figure out why the wife and I are not just staying here and riding? Clueslessly lost on Thursday...arrrrrrrghhhhhhhh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:59 am 

Yeah I was wondering with all the new snow. We have had snow pretty much everyday since scrubfest also. Almost five feet since then! Limits the possibilities but the pow is oh so sweet. Hope you figure things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:03 am 

The avi danger just moved from low to moderate this week. If it stays moderate, we will attempt the couloirs for sure. The whole Fruity thing has me flustered though. Could be a major waste when we could be snow riding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:04 pm 

Do you have any ideas how we can find people with snowmobiles (sleds?) who would be interested in taking us in to bc to ride?

Is that something that "normal" sled owners would do if their gas was paid etc etc - (We come from England - we do not have sleds here so apart from having had a ride on the back once know nothing about them)

Cheers

Bruce and Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:08 pm 

Quote:
Do you have any ideas how we can find people with snowmobiles (sleds?) who would be interested in taking us in to bc to ride?

Hi Bruce, Generally we don't want to go to the same place all the sledders are heading to, and a lot of snowmobiles don't work too well for carrying passengers (at least not off the groomed trails). The sleds we use are wide-track and so are good for carrying another rider and lots of gear; sometimes we also tow a sleigh behind in which we put extra gear and passengers. If you have a choice you don't want to ride back there as it is generally quite wet from the spray off the snowmobile track, although if it is cold snow it can be quite comfortable. Lots of places rent snowmobiles though I think it is fairly expensive. I suppose you could "hitchhike" a ride into the backcountry, but there is no guarantee of a ride out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:21 pm 

Your system does look good but just for additional info, A friend of mine actually has a company up here called Cheetah Factory Racing (cheetahfactoryracing.com) I love it. It's bomb proof, pretty much the same idea but is a little lower profile, the boards sit lower good for tandeming and the occasional double.