Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need some help choosing splitboard - Venture, NS or Prior
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:03 pm 

supah wrote:
Reading the descriptions on Prior's site didnt set the BC and Khyber faaar apart imo. I might get away with choosing a tad shorter board if I go with the Khyber as far as floating in pow goes.

The Khyber and BC are way different boards. The Khyber has something like 21 mm of taper vs 4mm for the BC. That makes the Khyber a specialty powder board.

In my opinion, the best boards for the backcountry are versatile. The fantasy is that you'll always be on pow, but in the backcountry you'll find all kinds of conditions on any given day. I have a Khyber, NS Titan, and and older Voile Freeride. (I know, I know. And no one is gonna say anything about it that I haven't already heard from my wife!) The Khyber screws me in slush and steep firm stuff. The Titan screws me in powder. The Freeride is versatile but lifeless. The board I love, that I can always count on for a fun, fun time is the Voile Mojo. Man I love that board and I find that it's the one I always reach for. It really is a lot of bang for your buck. If you're dying for an NS I could possibly be persuaded to part with my Titan 164 for the right price. It would probably make my wife happy. It's a beaut though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:54 am 

Good post, San. I would probably consider the Mojo if it wasnt for the .. not so sweet graphics on them. Id go for 161 or 166 I think, and those colors are not to my taste.

I knew the part about Khyber being the powder board. Great to hear your personal experience regarding it. I was basically planning to get a board that will be great in powder, but can handle other conditions too. Normally I would not head out on a trip if there aint no pow. I will pretty much only go on day trips with a light pack. And I will generally go on trips when the conditions are good. Lonerider had a nice comment in another post: To be sure, steep firm/icy conditions (I grew up and went to school in New England) are not "ideal" for the Khyber, however it is not "terrible" (the Burton Fish is terrible on steep windpack). The Khyber can get you down the icy steep without you feeling like you are going to die, however the Khyber excels in soft snow conditions. No I know BC is supposedly not just about the powder... but if the entire slope is rock hard, I personally wouldn't even bother going up since it's the soft stuff (doesn't have to be fresh powder) that I like to ride.

Anyone who has tried a Prior split and also the Venture Divide? Interested in how the Venture is compared to other splits. Seems like a good choice though, reading the Venture threads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:12 am 

It seem that almost every trip you end up riding mixed snow. Even on POW days you may have to traverse across a windblown slope or something like that. Is there not corn in Norway? We cement riders go corn harvesting which all ways results in mixed conditions riding. If you want a single gun Prior get the BC or maybe Spearhead.

Ask Voile if they'll put another top sheet on for you. It may cost you a few bucks but you're willing to pay $1400 for a NS so you got the dough.

Do all Venture splits have that funky non-slick top sheet?

If you truly want a bad ass, good looking board find a deal on your favorite solid board from last year and turn the keys over to Monk.

Quote:
I knew the part about Khyber being the powder board. Great to hear your personal experience regarding it. I was basically planning to get a board that will be great in powder, but can handle other conditions too. Normally I would not head out on a trip if there aint no pow. I will pretty much only go on day trips with a light pack. And I will generally go on trips when the conditions are good. Lonerider had a nice comment in another post: To be sure, steep firm/icy conditions (I grew up and went to school in New England) are not "ideal" for the Khyber, however it is not "terrible" (the Burton Fish is terrible on steep windpack). The Khyber can get you down the icy steep without you feeling like you are going to die, however the Khyber excels in soft snow conditions. No I know BC is supposedly not just about the powder... but if the entire slope is rock hard, I personally wouldn't even bother going up since it's the soft stuff (doesn't have to be fresh powder) that I like to ride.

Anyone who has tried a Prior split and also the Venture Divide? Interested in how the Venture is compared to other splits. Seems like a good choice though, reading the Venture threads.
shit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:38 pm 

I'll grant you the 66 isn't the loveliest, but I promise you it looks a lot less gopping in the flesh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:44 pm 

Im now leaning towards the spearhead, Mojo is in 2nd, and NS is in 3rd as I await an email reply. Going to REI tonight to put the mojo next to the spearhead and eye em up before I make my decision.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:23 pm 

As much as I absolutely LOVE Prior Spearhead (carbon...sorry had to add that), it too, like the Khyber is for the most part a specialty board. It doesn't have as much taper as the khyber but the big nose makes it something I wouldn't go to in conditions other than powder.

My personal feeling is that if you can only have one splitboard, versatility is key. The most versatile splits out there (in no specific order) are the Burton S-Series, Voile Mojo, Prior Backcountry, and Venture Divide. (Some Never Summer shapes could be added to the list but since they are only custom boards I left them off).

If you want pow specific, then by all means look to the Spearhead or Khyber.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:46 am 

Decided on a 166 spearhead. Now do I get the Barrel or Autumn graphic?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:24 pm 

Hey there,
I've been reading this topic with interest as I'm also in the market for a splitboard this season. I'm going to go with prior (probably the backcountry) since I live in whistler, and may be able to wangle a bit of a locals discount.
I'm female, 5'7 and weigh around 140, and hoping to get any feedback from female splitboarders out there (or guys who splitboard with the ladies) about the right length and shape to get (I ride a 154 regular board, thinking of getting a 161 split). Are there any female-specific issues to be aware of?
Any advice much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:17 pm 

Hi Andigo,

I'm 5'7'' 160lbs and I use a 161-162 for normal splitboarding and a 166 for deep snow. As a lighter rider you'll want to make sure the board isn't too stiff for you and the waist width will also be something to look at. If you have smaller feet you'll probably want to stay under 25-25.5cms or so.

Hope that helps a little.

Happy splitting!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:49 pm 

I've got a 164 NS Titan and find that it's versatile for riding in all conditions. It's not bad in pow, and does really well in variable and/or icy conditions. It also does well in corn. I've been thinking about getting a Mojo this year from REI after I get my dividend (and can use other gift cards) to have another stick to grab for when I'm doing long spring ascents and want something lighter and a with a little less length. If you're worried about the cap construction, REI has a great return policy in case something goes wrong.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:54 am 

How is a Voile Mojo a versatile board and a Prior Khyber a specialty board? Both are pintails...

I have a Neversummer Summit (another pintail) and I have been quite impressed with it's versatility. Hell, it even rides switch decently enough. Iridepow used a Khybher for a season and he didn't seem to have any trouble with hardpack or mank on that board either. Same thing with the Mojo. All those boards are definitely geared towards powder riding, but work just fine when you run into windbuff, hardpack, mank, whatever. Not sure about the Spearhead as I have no experience with that one.

I think one of the new Neversummer Rocker camber boards (better than MTX imo) or a more traditional Summit would slay it for you. The rocker cambers are fun spinny boards and work great in powder. 50 degree ice I might be a little hesitant on, but I would say the same for a Lib Tech with Banana mtx tech. I believe the Neversummer Summit might have a mid season release with a rocker nose. That could be a super fun board.

The one thing about the Mojo is that it's cap construction. Sorry but cap=crap in my book. Don't know what I am talking about. Get some edge damage then talk to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:00 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
How is a Voile Mojo a versatile board and a Prior Khyber a specialty board? Both are pintails...

The Khyber has 22mm of taper (160cm board length)
The Mojo has 6mm of taper (161 board length)

The big nose of the Khyber and deep taper are great for powder but not so great for steep, firm lines where edging is important.

While the Mojo wont ride the powder as effortlessly it will perform better in the steep, firm stuff - thus making it more versatile overall. (assuming you need or want the versatility, if not its a moot point)

How about some pics, I like both boards! :D

Mojo

Khyber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 am 

I notice a lot of people talking about their opinions of the strengths and weaknesses of the rocker boards with mtx. Have you guys tried a btx board on 50 degree ice yet? I have and I'll tell you it gives me silly confidence in those conditions. Just try it, it's like you're on rails. No skidding, no slippage and of course it really does slay it in pow, all with a park stance, all the time. I can't comment on the NS rocker because I haven't tried one. I did get over 100 days on our area in every condition imaginable and the banana was superior in any condition to any specialty board I've ever ridden.

The only reason I keep harping on this board design is because until you experience it yourself and feel what it can do, you'll be spending your hard earned cash buying something that might just sit in the closet after you ride a btx board. But then again, maybe I'm just strange and spend too much time snowboarding in the winter and get too excited when something that I perceive to be the shit comes along and wanna spread the love to the other die hard bredren out there.

Good luck finding the right board for you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next