Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some help choosing splitboard - Venture, NS or Prior
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:19 pm 

Hello all.

Ive been lurking around the forum for a while now. I have been snowboarding for several years, and have finally decided to get a splitboard. *Which one* is the question though, so figured I could ask you guys for some input. I have got bindings, boots and so on sorted - Its just the splitboard left really. Id like something that is good for sort of "all round" riding - Good handling between trees, powder, hard packed snow ect. Mostly Ill prob be using it when there is some, or a lot, of powder though. But I want a board that will work in any condition. My height is 6.2 feet, and I weigh 187 lbs. I have been recommended a board between 160-165cm iirc.

I have narrowed it down to 3 splits:

I guess a Never Summer split is quite a safe bet, right? I have tried to email them at blahotwin@hotmail.com, but havent gotten an answer yet. I am eager to make an order soon, so hope they'll reply. (Hope I got the right addy as well...!) Anyone know what the delivery time is on the splits from NS atm?

Venture seems great too. I am only slightly put off by the graphics ... Yes, I know its a minor thing, but still. The little things do count. "Put off" might not be the right word. But I think I like the looks of the NS and Prior boards more. Anyway, it seems like a very solid board from what Ive read on the forum. Is it as good as a NS split?

Prior seems great overall. I am only slightly worried about their customer service. Havent read about any recent bad experiences on the forums though. I presume that is nothing to worry about anymore. I also feel that Prior is not quite up there with NS. Am I right or wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Winter is coming soon, and I wanna be ready for it.
Awesome forum btw. Ive learned so much about splitboarding, and gotten a ton of useful information.

- Andreas

Post subject: Re: Need some help choosing splitboard - Venture, NS or Prior
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:37 pm 

Welcome to the forum supah! :thatrocks:

One last piece of info that might be helpful is your budget.

Do you want to spend $800-900 (burton, voile) or $1200-1400 (prior, venture, never summer)?

I don't really like NS splits due to the shape and low-profile nose height but in their defense I've really only ridden one model. Their craftmanship is nice and their users are a bit like Mac users (fanatical) so there's something to be said there. Bring your wallet though.

Prior and Venture both make nice splits with good shapes so it is going to be a hard decision. Voile nor Burton are on your list?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:54 am 

Thanks!

Budget wise I am in the $1200-$1400 range. Voile and Burton are not on my list as I am trying to narrow it down.

Got a reply from Bentley btw, and he is saying that they are not making custom splits anymore. NS will however offer them from mid december. Bit long wait, but might be worth it. Im not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:48 am 

Quote:
NS will however offer them from mid december.

:shock: :headbang: :thumpsup: :bananas:

Having ridden a solid venture and a solid NS, the craftsmanship on both splits should be Top-Notch. The difference, then, would be your preference. The Venture's are quite poppy, and the NS's are quite damped. Two years ago, I much preferred the NS super-damping because I was just destroyed by the end of the day with that much pow and busted-crud riding. This season, since I will surely be better/strong/faster (6 million dollar splitter! :twisted:), my opinion may start to shift away from highly damped boards.

My very limited personal opinion is that what sets Prior apart is really the amazing selection of shapes you can get in a split. That and the ability to pick your base and topsheet. I think the feel of their backcountry split would be somewhere in the middle of the NS and Venture. Having never ridden the Prior BC, I don't feel like it offers a big value-add over the Mojo, whereas getting an NS or Venture might.

Big decision! I'm sure you'll make the right one, and let us know what the result is!!!! Best of Luck,
Shep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:29 am 

If I had $1,200 to buy a splitboard I'd buy the Prior Spearhead. Best board for your buck....Mojo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:17 am 

You might consider a prior too because of the screwed up ecomony is helping the dollar vs the CAN right now. $1.00 us equal $1.21 CAN now and it going up yet ..... so its a 20% discount to make your decision harder....

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 am 

Shep wrote:
Having never ridden the Prior BC, I don't feel like it offers a big value-add over the Mojo, whereas getting an NS or Venture might.

Big decision! I'm sure you'll make the right one, and let us know what the result is!!!! Best of Luck,
Shep

to me it comes down to capped constuction vs side wall. I've never had a capped board last more then a couple months. one toe side rock and shes done. my Prior however, I cracked the edge early last year. epoxy and P-Tex patch job, 50++ days later and it's still holding togeather fine. is it was a capped board it would be garbage by now.

I would love to get my hands on a Venture.

good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:31 am 

Hard call dude.

I had the same decision to make earlier this summer when I was looking to upgrade. I had only good experiences with my Prior BC 161, so I ended up going with a 166 Prior Spearhead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 am 

I was worried a bit about customer service and quality from Prior when I was shopping around too. I decided to take the chance on them and got a BC 165 because it was lighter than the NS and I wanted to try the slightly tapered shape that the Prior had. I don't think Venture was marketting splits then.

I found the customer service and quality of the Prior to be great. They threw in a free t-shirt just because of a very small (2 to 3 mm) blemish on the topsheet that is completely obscured by the binding puck. I've even hit a few rocks that I thought would have done some damage but found only the faintest scratches on my base afterwords.

My suggestion, in any case, would be to go with a longer board. At 5'11", 175 lbs (without pack) my 165 seems to dive into deep powder a bit - even with the bindings set to the 2nd from rear-most position.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:52 pm 

In the exact same boat, I have also excluded Voile and Burton. These posts are great. After hearing the pop vs damp comment I am leaning towards prior and NS. I live in Denver so I like the fact Im not far from the source, but I think the exchange rate comment is also a great point. I checked the rate and it looks like we are at a 3 year high!

I will also be sled skiing with this board, so I am riding on cat/snowmobile tracks a lot. Also, do you think I should go with a 165 (6'0 195lb 10.5 boot)?

Keep the comments coming this is really helpful and I want my $1300 spent wisely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:28 pm 

Think I am also sort of leaning towards Prior, it seems like a good choice. I would most probably have NS as number one if it wasnt for the splits not being available atm. I can get Prior from a dealer in Norway, so I guess that is a plus just in case anything should happen. So much easier than shipping overseas. Got some thinking to do regarding what type of board I want as well. I hadnt really considered the Spearhead before, I am not sure about the shape and how I like that. Interesting reading about it and where it performs. I was actually set on a Khyber if I were to buy a split from Prior. Not sure why - Maybe cus of the better powder handling abilities than the BC. Reading the descriptions on Prior's site didnt set the BC and Khyber faaar apart imo. I might get away with choosing a tad shorter board if I go with the Khyber as far as floating in pow goes?

Some great input so far. Really helps! Good point regarding sidewall, Large Format.
Also good to hear that ppl are happy with Prior boards and Prior's customer service.

I havent considered "poppy" vs "damped" - Could anyone explain the difference? Im not that into the snowboard expressions. What would the BC or Khyber from Prior be?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:39 pm 

Quote:
to me it comes down to capped constuction vs side wall.

I have over 50 days on my Mojo and have not had any problems. I've hit plenty of rocks and roots with no capped construction problems. This is my first capped board and had heard that there were durability issues but I just haven't seen that as a problem. Anyone else? There's no doubt that Voile has the absolutely amazing customer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 pm 

I too have a Mojo and was also a bit nervous about the cap construction. It also has 50+ days on it with no durability issues. It has definately seen a rock,stump, etc... or two. The mojo is a major improvement ride-wise over the old models. Much stiffer and almost a quiver of one. If you happen to decide on a Mojo you may want to PM Monk151. He has a un-used '07 166 with a custom topsheet that he'll probably let go for less than retail.

Good Luck!