Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malamutes vs. Driver X vs. Serows
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:25 am 

I need new boots this season, I traditionally ride very stiff boots for balls out speed, I like catching air but never do any real tricks, I need a boot that works well with the spliter and at the resort. I've had my eye on the malamutes and driver X for a couple of seasons. But just saw the Serows dirt cheap ($100 less then the others with 20% discounts applied).

Any info on these three boots, reviews, etc. for some one with flintsone feet (flat and fat).

Post subject: Re: Malamutes vs. Driver X vs. Serows
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:49 pm 

See this dup thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5502

I'll move it to this forum and delete this thread later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:39 pm 

I used malamutes since they first came out up until a few years ago when my fourth pair felt like something was biting into my ankles. Salomon was great about the issue and warrantied me a new pair but they did the same thing. So if you feel good about the fit around the ankles I loved the boots, nice and stiff. The next boot I got was the Driver X and it's stiff as advertised. The first few days of breaking them in I pretty much left the powerstraps completely loose and the boots are so plush it felt pretty good. Then when they break in, I think they're great and they don't pack out too much and they stay nice and stiff so far. I just ordered another pair from bcoutlet for 50% off for when these wear out. The laces in my boots tore after a while (maybe keeping some sort of lube on them would help with friction wearing the lace in half) but burton will send you replacement laces that are burlier and easy enough to install. The powerstrap system is nice and works great once you get used to how it works. I haven't tried Serows. That's all I know, hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 pm 

I have one season worth of touring (50 - 60 days) on a pair of Drivers. They were really stiff at first but have softened up quite a bit. Skinning seems to has softened them up quicker than I anticipated.

My only complaint is the lacing system. I had a lace break on me after only a few weeks. After maybe 20,000' vertical. I was able to get a replacement but I'm still pissed :evil: However, I do prefer this system over my old lace-ups.

Before buying the Drivers, I tried on a pair of Malamutes and was impressed by the smaller footprint and the fit around my skinnier ankles. Never got to try them out though. I recall them feeling less stiff than the Drivers. I only went with the Drivers because they mate with my binders better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 pm 

My trusty thritytwo's are finally starting to give out on me, i could ride them through this season but kind of want to replace them. I was looking at the serows online. I haven't not seen a pair in person yet. anyone have any experience with them? similar fit to the driver X?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:40 pm 

Yo WS,

I posted a few thoughts on the Serows in the other thread. In short, they're softer than Driver Xs. I really liked em as I'm into the surfy feel and ability to roll the ankles for control.

In pow they are plenty durable but on dry trails or granite they can get chewed up. They're on sale though for like $160 or something so at that price there is hardly much to lose. I also really like the lacing system because its quick and you can adjust the upper and lower sections independently. No issues with durability of the lacing system at all for me.

New Serows are only being offered in Japan this year due to low sales in the US stores. I think that is more an indication of the market and saturated burton boot line and not due to the boot itself.

On sale here: http://splitboard.com/site/Boots_%26_Bindings.html